ADVERTISEMENT

A few observations on a tough loss.

sane1

Michigan Man
May 29, 2001
Honestly, we did not play well today. Yet we had the win in our sights in the last two minutes. Two offensive rebounds did us in. Instead of bleeding the clock and putting the ball in Derrick's hands with a three point lead, we found ourselves scrambling. We just couldn't make the play when we had to. DJ's long three with a one point lead was not a great shot. We seldom attacked the basket and settled for threes. Probably the biggest factor in the loss. We shot few foul shots and they had no foul trouble to worry about with a short bench.

In the first half, we just took too many quick shots. Many were pretty good looks, but you really let the other team off the hook when you miss. Careless turnovers were an issue, as well. Against top competition we have to win the turnover battle. For the most part, we did get back in transition, and Oregon was cold as we were in the first half. That kept it close. Moe was pretty bad at both ends, which really hurt with DJ in foul trouble. Couldn't finish and way, way off from the three point line. MAAR just didn't have it today. He rushed his threes and never got into the teeth of the D as he usually does. Don't know who's fault it was, but that blown switch with MAAR and Zak that gave Dorsey a wide open three was very costly at that stage of the game.

Most of the second half was the same as the first. We were just hanging in there. Duncan could not guard Dorsey, and that set up a lot of their offense. Reggie was right when he said that it felt like Oregon was getting control a couple of times. At some point, we switched Duncan onto Benson and/or Partridge in the last ten minutes, and we played better D after that. It's what allowed us to come back from a 6 point deficit and then 5 points. A few stops and some timely threes got us the lead. We, unlike past games, could not close it out.

Credit to Oregon. Brooks and Dorsey cannot be left open. It's almost automatic, and both can drive the ball with the right match-up. Ennis was tough. Their center was defensive POY in the PAC 12 and you could see why. A lot of people thought Moe would have the upper hand. Not so. Oregon is quick and did bother our offense. They didn't concede the passes that get our offense in motion, slowed us way down. I think Derrick tired in the second half and kind of disappeared for awhile. X came in and we held our for awhile, but Derrick was on the bench one possession too many.

DJ had a nice game hitting a few threes, but his point blank miss late in the game just can't happen. Don't get why he doesn't put both hands on the ball and dunk it. In a game like this, it can make the difference. Still, he blocked and bothered shots, had a nice assist to MAAR. DJ played well enough.

No complaints on Zak or Derrick. Zak hit a lot of big shots, rebounded, defended. Derrick assisted beautifully, hit shots and free throws and defended very well. He had a good look on that last three, a shot that he's made many times. Came up short. I'm really proud and grateful to our two seniors. They've lead us to the highest level of college basketball play over the last 15 games. They played with so much heart and passion. I wish the team were dousing each other with water in the locker room after the game.

Hard to believe that the season is over for us. Saying that it's been eventful is an understatement. Beilein and his staff have worked and schemed with the best of them. The end product his season was gratifying to this fan. I need to rest up, hit the hot tub and get ready to up my game in the off season. Not exactly Camp Sanderson, but my vertical ain't going nowhere anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News