ADVERTISEMENT

A 16-team playoff proposal

bluex2

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2002
I posted most of this in another thread, but I thought it was better served in its own thread. There's no question of whether the playoffs will expand. The question is by how much and when. I would expand it to 16. The top 8 teams get a home game. This year the playoffs would look like this:

(16) WVU @ (1) Alabama
(15) Texas @ (2) Clemson
(14) Kentucky @ (3) ND
(13) WSU @ (4) Oklahoma
(12) PSU @ (5) Georgia
(11) LSU @ (6) OSU
(10) Florida @ (7) Michigan
(9) Washington @ (8) Central Florida

Going to 16 solves several problems:
1. Non-power 5 teams like UCF have an easier shot to get in and can't complain (I never thought this was a real problem).
2. Having 8 games on campus means 8 teams do not have to travel. That makes it easier for the players and obviously this is all about the players. Also rewards schools and fans with another home game - fans of 8 schools will not have to fly across the country to see their team play one more time.
3. TV money would be ridiculous.
4. Regular season still means a lot: an extra home game would be huge to any athletic department - especially one that would be a guaranteed sell out. Give away teams an agreed % ticket allotment - say 20% or something.
5. You can still have the games in the later rounds be bowl games.
6. SEC teams now have to play in the north in the winter.
7. Top players may re-think sitting out post-season since their team still has it all to play for.
8. Only a handful of teams have a realistic shot at the playoffs under the current system. The barriers to entry are simply way too high. This levels the playing field.

Going to 16 creates several problems:
1. More games for more players = greater injury risk, less time for classes.
2. If keep conference title games (which I think they should not), then a team like Alabama could potentially play 17 games (12 regular season, 1 conference title, 4 playoff games). That's an NFL schedule for what are supposed to be student athletes. That's a lot - even if the final 3 games could come during semester break. I would eliminate conference title games (which is probably a huge hurdle since those make money for the conference) and make Round 1 that week (1st weekend of December). So schedule would be:
Dec. 1 - Round 1 (currently conference title games)
Dec. 8 - Bye for remaining teams for finals/rest
Dec. 15 - Round 2
Dec. 22 - Bye
Dec. 29 - Final 4
Jan. 5 - Championship game.​
3. MSU is still left out with expansion to 16 teams.

In conclusion, I really just wanted to post this because I think the matchups this year would be awesome for the first round. Especially if they were on college campuses. Those atmospheres would be incredible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News