ADVERTISEMENT

2 SEC teams in the playoff?

Code Blue

All-American
May 30, 2001
Will ESPN ever rest until they get multiple SEC teams in the playoff? I took a brief look at the "after the rankings" show last night and it seemed like it was just a shout out to the committee to lobby for multiple SEC teams in the playoff. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that you want to alienate 3 of the power 5 conferences. With any luck, this thing will get expanded to 8 teams, but you know if that happens they'll be lobbying for 3 or 4 SEC teams to make the 8. Such crap.

Will ESPN ever rest until they get multiple SEC teams in the playoff? I took a brief look at the "after the rankings" show last night and it seemed like it was just a shout out to the committee to lobby for multiple SEC teams in the playoff. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that you want to alienate 3 of the power 5 conferences. With any luck, this thing will get expanded to 8 teams, but you know if that happens they'll be lobbying for 3 or 4 SEC teams to make the 8. Such crap.
In the end, my prediction is that the B1G goes undefeated in bowls and everyone sees that they were wrong about us....who cares if they put two SEC teams in, they have never gotten this thing right in the history of college football #needmoreteams

Its still to early things should work itself out some, but if it comes down to a 1 loss UGA and a 1 loss ND you have to pick UGA they beat them at ND.

Well, they've been rigging the system for years and they finally get what they wanted. Now watch, why not 3 SEC teams? I mean, they are clearly the best, right?

The more ESPN hypes the SEC over the other conferences it will put more pressure on them. They have laid of 100's of employees because they are losing money. I do not watch them unless I have an interest in the teams playing. I never watch otherwise and they are finding more and more people doing it . They will continue to bleed red until they give balanced coverage. Being shills has not paid off and they appear too dumb to realize it.

Who do you want to put in? Central Florida? USC? Washington? Wisconsin? You can't seriously be suggesting O$U get in?
IMO Penn State is the team that had it all & screwed the pooch. Blew a game they were out front in vs. O$U (sound familiar) & then hangover vs. Moo U. They had no business not representing the B1G East with a trip to the playoffs on the line.

I would have been fine with OSU or USC. They won their conference. Hell, Alabama didn't even participate in the SEC championship. I mean, seriously, can you imagine the uproar if the SEC champ was ever left out of the playoff?

I would have been fine with OSU or USC. They won their conference. Hell, Alabama didn't even participate in the SEC championship. I mean, seriously, can you imagine the uproar if the SEC champ was ever left out of the playoff?
You can't just be cut & dry...."so & so team or so & so conference got left out so that's bullshit". I'll listen to your argument as to why OSU or USC should have got the nod over Bama, but don't just tell me they should have got it because they won their CCG.
I do agree it's tough to compare apples to apples when 1 team doesn't have to play that extra game though 1st weekend in Dec.
You want to tell me the CC gets an automatic bid & you want to add a couple at-large teams I'll listen to that too.

Once the committee put in OSU over PSU last year they made it clear that winning the CCG isn't an automatic bid. This time OSU was on the other side.. Oh well....

Once the committee put in OSU over PSU last year they made it clear that winning the CCG isn't an automatic bid. This time OSU was on the other side.. Oh well....
That's technically accurate, but misses the detail that OSU was in the top 4 (#2) at the end of the season. So they were in already.

AND that the SOS of Bama this year blew. Blew badly. Looking at the teams they beat, they really beat nobody. One of the espn talking heads pointed out that they knocked out FSU's great QB, thus relegating them to the bottom- but that really means nothing- as it totally ignores that last year's best player of all college football played again this year, and his team sucked. So loosing Garcon means nothing.

I'm not saying that OSU or USC should be the pick, but bama never really demonstrated that they are one of the top 4 teams other than the poll impressions.

I do hope that Clemson shows the committee their error very firmly.

As for epsn, it IS a conflict of interest that they make such a strong appeal for SEC teams, since it's in their economic best interest for that to happen. Kinda sucks that way.

Reactions: nead
And with all that... OSU got destroyed last year 31-0... They didn't do themselves any favor this year by not justifying the decision to take them last year.. and that was a 1 loss OSU team...

Sorry.. not taking a 2 loss OSU team.

Reactions: bronzerebel
And with all that... OSU got destroyed last year 31-0... They didn't do themselves any favor this year by not justifying the decision to take them last year.. and that was a 1 loss OSU team...

Sorry.. not taking a 2 loss OSU team.
Either way, I'm not going to waste my time to watch. Staying up late on New Year's day for bowl games was ok. Not the monday after, when work is really back in swing. I've not bothered on a entire championship game ever since they went to the separate timing from the rest of the bowls.

I'll watch one team, and that's it. Other than that, it's not worth the effort.

You have no team in the Big 10 that wouldn't lose 3-4 games in the SEC. You can't get outscored 69-0 with your last two appearances in the semi's and have people take you seriously.

Reactions: bronzerebel
You have no team in the Big 10 that wouldn't lose 3-4 games in the SEC. You can't get outscored 69-0 with your last two appearances in the semi's and have people take you seriously.
That's the same nonsense you guys always spout (just like year one of the playoff... how'd that work out for you?). The problem that I have is that the SEC is only tough about 50% of the time. The other 50% you always just get the benefit of the doubt and often miss out on the tough opponents. I thought that this would be fixed by the playoff, but if the committee is just going to give you all a constant pass, then it won't be any different than the end of the "poll" era where you just get handed NC after NC. Of course, you guys are ok with that. As long as you win, you don't care if it was earned. It's the SEC way.

If I missed a Big 10 National Champion, let me know. Soon to be 1 in 15 years, like I said, not relevant.

National Champions

2017 Not the Big 10
2016 Clemson
2015 Alabama
2014 Ohio State
2013 Florida State
2012 Alabama
2011 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2009 Alabama
2008 Florida
2007 Louisiana State
2006 Florida
2005 Texas
2004 Southern California
2003 Louisiana State

If I missed a Big 10 National Champion, let me know. Soon to be 1 in 15 years, like I said, not relevant.

National Champions

2017 Not the Big 10
2016 Clemson
2015 Alabama
2014 Ohio State
2013 Florida State
2012 Alabama
2011 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2009 Alabama
2008 Florida
2007 Louisiana State
2006 Florida
2005 Texas
2004 Southern California
2003 Louisiana State
USC won the championship in 2003, but you help me make my point. Nickelodeon could have awarded the SEC the title and they would count it.

Reactions: PilotBuckeye
Don't blame us for the luckiest playoff run in the history of sports (MSU) and they plaoyff committee rewarding a undeserving OSU team last year.... lol

Not gonna lie.. It was beautiful to see reality set in when they got on the field though.... lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT