ADVERTISEMENT

10-2 Record-No Sour Grapes Here

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
Michigan had an excellent year period finishing 10-2 and an excellent chance of finishing at 11-2 with a good bowl win on New Year's Day. Yes, it sucks losing today to Ohio State and there were some very questionable calls, however, there are a couple things to consider here. Michigan dominated the game until 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and they should have NEVER been in the position to go into an OT against the Bucks. The fumble on the 3 yard line and the Loyd Carr conservative play calling when all that was needed was a simple first down to drain more clock. Drevno really blew it today when Michigan needed him the most. Also, when you have the best defense in the nation, NO one should score as easily as Ohio State did in the over time periods. That was really disappointing. Some points I would like to throw out there.
#1- Graduation cannot come quick enough for Kyle Kalis. He is horrible and cost Michigan dearly today on numerous occasions.
#2- Wilton Speight is not as good as everyone has touted him to be this year. His ridiculous forcing of throws today (one leading to pick 6) and his fumble on the 2 yard was terrible. Brandon Peters and McCaffrey cannot get ready quick enough for me. Maybe Peters can beat him out next year. (Can we please getting a running threat at the QB position. It has helped the Buckeyes tremendously over the last decade of football)
#3- Michigan losing at Iowa cost them a playoff spot. The loss today would mean nothing had they taken care of business at Iowa. They would still be a contender.
#4- Urban Meyer is a great coach and kept his composure when his team was being drilled keeping them in a non panic (keep churning mode). Harbaugh went nuts at the end of the 3rd quarter and Michigan played like shit during the 4th quarter.

Sorry dude disagree on a few things:
  1. Agree on Kalis and our O-line - they lack the will and consistency.
  2. Agree on playcalling too - it was weak and JH needs to go for the win versus run out the clock.
  3. Speight - disagree. The first INT was not his fault - ball was tipped and Deveon completely missed his blocked - I mean completely. The fumble did not hurt us at all - we got a turnover and scored after that anyway. I think he was a solid QB to be honest.
  4. You want to blame someone - blame the WRs - 4 huge drops today that all would have been 1st downs that should not have been dropped - balls were right on the money.
In every season, you need to get a few lucky breaks to get things to go your way. See MSU last season - they got them all and then this season they got zero and ended up 3-9. Michigan won 10 games despite zero luck this season. So many missed opportunities, etc. We should have had another 2-3 INTs in this game but sometimes the ball just does not bounce your way.

Either way, to have a chance to win 21 games in 2 years is impressive. If we win the bowl game, which I think we will - only Bama, Clemson and OSU will have had a better record then us - how do you beat that?

Was Barrett all-world today?

Hell, no.

I thought his performance was meh, and he's supposedly the best QB in the Big Ten.

Speight was not 100 per cent, btw. You could cut him some slack, operating behind a sub-par OL and going against a very good defense.

Point is, Speight was the best QB on the roster and will probably have to re-win the starting job next year with Peters looming as the main competition.

The OL is unlikely to be a strength until 2018 at the earliest. It was clearly the greatest weakness in Hoke's mostly-solid recruiting efforts.

Go Blue. Always.

Michigan had an excellent year period finishing 10-2 and an excellent chance of finishing at 11-2 with a good bowl win on New Year's Day. Yes, it sucks losing today to Ohio State and there were some very questionable calls, however, there are a couple things to consider here. Michigan dominated the game until 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and they should have NEVER been in the position to go into an OT against the Bucks. The fumble on the 3 yard line and the Loyd Carr conservative play calling when all that was needed was a simple first down to drain more clock. Drevno really blew it today when Michigan needed him the most. Also, when you have the best defense in the nation, NO one should score as easily as Ohio State did in the over time periods. That was really disappointing. Some points I would like to throw out there.
#1- Graduation cannot come quick enough for Kyle Kalis. He is horrible and cost Michigan dearly today on numerous occasions.
#2- Wilton Speight is not as good as everyone has touted him to be this year. His ridiculous forcing of throws today (one leading to pick 6) and his fumble on the 2 yard was terrible. Brandon Peters and McCaffrey cannot get ready quick enough for me. Maybe Peters can beat him out next year. (Can we please getting a running threat at the QB position. It has helped the Buckeyes tremendously over the last decade of football)
#3- Michigan losing at Iowa cost them a playoff spot. The loss today would mean nothing had they taken care of business at Iowa. They would still be a contender.
#4- Urban Meyer is a great coach and kept his composure when his team was being drilled keeping them in a non panic (keep churning mode). Harbaugh went nuts at the end of the 3rd quarter and Michigan played like shit during the 4th quarter.
Thanks for a good post to disagree on

I am overall happy with the progress of the program although I thought in all honesty when you like at the entire season...they came up a little short. The loss against OSU is not nearly as bad as the performance against Iowa.

I thought the team was prepared to have even a better season and if you want my honest assessment...I thought the coaches really prevented the team from having 11 wins if not 12. Last year it was the players including O'neil who didn't quite get the job done. This year I thought the coaches and some key player drops (Darboh, etc.) that hurt them.

Not blaming 'x' person or 'x' coach but I thought it was more a team shortcoming/disappointment toward the end of the year. I am encouraged by the job the coaches have done but after some reflection I think they will see it was more them than the refs. What I am saying is that the coaches definitely could have done a better job to counter some player errors. Know your personnel (Smith safety, punter interference (2nd time), play calling).

Coaches make mistakes. Meyer had one today. Thought Dantonio last week. It happens and this staff is not exempt from mistakes.

RM

Agree on Kalis and Harbaugh. Before getting to Harbaugh, while Kalis and others on the line have been overrated all year, the fact that nobody behind them seems ready is discouraging.
Harbaughs rants during and after the game were an embarrassment. Especially on offsides call because he was wrong.

But worse, his teams play in the 4th reflected his lack of focus and composure. He isn't woody Hayes and this isn't the 1970's where nothing is magnified like today.

Looks bad for Michigan.
Bad TO recruits.
Sends bad message to his team.

He should worry more why he was out coached at crucial moments in three of his five losses, including against Kirk Ferrntz of all people.
He should worry more about what James Franklin did to get to Indy before him.
He should worry more about what he snd his coaches could have done better not mistakes officials may or may not have made.
He should worry more why he and Drevno couldn't muster more than 72 yards of offense for Peppers since the Rutgers game; 12 yards per game.

I'm salty as fvkc.
Maybe we can beat dOSU just one more time before I die, but I'm not counting on it. Maybe my kids will see it, or maybe their kids.

Yeah, I'm pissed. But not surprised.

Agree on Kalis and Harbaugh. Before getting to Harbaugh, while Kalis and others on the line have been overrated all year, the fact that nobody behind them seems ready is discouraging.
Harbaughs rants during and after the game were an embarrassment. Especially on offsides call because he was wrong.

But worse, his teams play in the 4th reflected his lack of focus and composure. He isn't woody Hayes and this isn't the 1970's where nothing is magnified like today.

Looks bad for Michigan.
Bad TO recruits.

He should worry more why he was out coached at crucial moments in three of his five losses, including against Kirk Ferrntz of all people.
He should worry more about what he snd his coaches could have done better not mistakes officials may or may not have made.
He should worry more why he and Drevno couldn't muster more than 72 yards of offense for Peppers since the Rutgers game; 12 yards per game.

Just shut up

I hate to write this but I enjoy Harbaugh's "rants" just like his mentor, Bo. You rant for a couple of reasons but one is to show your team that the coaches are in your corner. Because all the offensive coaches join in for every play call it's difficult for me to blame just one coach.

Harbaugh should have "ranted" against the officials. Ohio State had ONE penalty, yes ONE penalty the entire game. I hate how our sport culture in this country protects the "officials They wear stripes so they cannot be questioned? They make HUGE mistakes and should be fined, suspended, and even fired from their jobs like anyone else is. They are NEVER held accountable. Ohio State fans can call Harbaugh a whiner BUT Urban Meyer (known as Urban Crier in SEC country) is legendary for his crying dating back to his days at Florida when he whined about everything and especially to the media. When you play a team coached by Meyer and Saban you will also be playing against the guys officiating the game period. Everyone knows this.

Harbaugh should have "ranted" against the officials. Ohio State had ONE penalty, yes ONE penalty the entire game. I hate how our sport culture in this country protects the "officials They wear stripes so they cannot be questioned? They make HUGE mistakes and should be fined, suspended, and even fired from their jobs like anyone else is. They are NEVER held accountable. Ohio State fans can call Harbaugh a whiner BUT Urban Meyer (known as Urban Crier in SEC country) is legendary for his crying dating back to his days at Florida when he whined about everything and especially to the media. When you play a team coached by Meyer and Saban you will also be playing against the guys officiating the game period. Everyone knows this.

Looks bad for Michigan.
Bad TO recruits.

Who do you think should be coaching Michigan?

Who is your ideal college football coach? HMM?

I hate to write this but I enjoy Harbaugh's "rants" just like his mentor, Bo. You rant for a couple of reasons but one is to show your team that the coaches are in your corner. Because all the offensive coaches join in for every play call it's difficult for me to blame just one coach.

Yep, agreed.

Any Michigan fan who doesn't like it should find another team to root for. Harbaugh isn't going to change and he isn't going anywhere. Why complain about it? Because Harbaugh isn't perfect in somebody's eyes, they should just complain about him? Either accept Harbaugh, warts and all, or move on with a different team. Everybody has flaws, if you can't take Harbaugh's freak outs, then don't. Move on. Go away.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT