ADVERTISEMENT

When does Harbaugh get first win against MSU and OSU?

Wolverine50550

Letterman
Jul 19, 2015
Spartan and Buckeye trolls not welcome to this thread!!! I am calling you out Roaring Fork Green and you stay the heck away from this thread!!!

This has been on my mind for a while and it cannot come soon enough. The thought of losing at home this year to either one of these teams just makes my blood boil so badly.

A big part of Michigan football recovering from what has been an embarrassing 7 years of Michigan foorball is getting that first win against both of these 2 despised hated rivals.

So here it goes. We have both at home this year. Some analysts and some of our fans believe we will not be able to beat either because our roster is so decimated ocmapred to both of those teams that even with how great Harbaugh is, we are at such a severe disadvantage rioster wise there is little chance of it happening even at home.

Some believe we can get one of these games as the roster is not that bad and iwll devleop and Harbaugh is that great to upset one,. Some even believe there is talent we will win right away and the only thing holding us back which terrible coaching and player development unde Hoke and be great right out of the gate and beat both especially at home.

So there is all kinds of opinions out there.

Now having said all of that, if the roster is as decimated as some think and cannot be changed in one season and presuming we lose both those games in 2015, is it a really bad thing and a negative that they are both at home in the case of presumed losses?

To me losing to those hated despised rivals hurts much worse at home than on the road. But its not just that.If we lose to MSU and OSU in AA this year, we have to turn around and lay them both on the road in 2016. So while we may be getteing better, and MSU and OSU take a stepo back in 2016, we have to face them on the road which likely makes it much harder to get that first win against both of those hated foes sooner rather than later assuming home field adantag really means a lot.

Then in 2017, we play both at home again and if in fact we are 0-2 against both in 2015 and 2016, it almost feels like a must win in 2017 against both in AA t get the program these to get Michigan football back on track, because if we somehow lose the first 2 in AA against OSU and MSU, we may be in massive trouble. Harbaugh is great and as good as anyone else if not better, but if he cannot turn our program around, then no one can. Now in 2017, Harbaugh should have much of his roster in place and we should be abl to protect home field. I would think so, but read this thread here: http://mgoblog.com/content/weeks-obsession-how-long-till-harbaugh

Now if what Seth says is true, than 2017 could have severe depth issues due to the 2014 and 2015 classes being much smaller than the 2012 and 2013 classes as those classes will be gone in 2017 unless there are lots of red shirts from 2013 that can hold over? If there is indeed truth to this, we need to beat both of them in the first 2 years, or red shirt the heck out of the 2013 class presuming there is talent that can be developed in it combined with the supposedly really great super sophomore and feshmen classes we will have in 2016 and 2017 that will also be on the field so we can protect the precious home field against those foes in 2017.

So what do you think? If Michigan losses to both OSU and MSU at home this year, is it really bad that the games were in fact at home instead of on the road? Or do you not htink it matters much?

And do you believe Michigan has a real good chance against MSU and OSU on the road in 2016 even if they lose to one or both at home in 2015? What about 2017 and beyond?

We need to do it no later than 2017 or we may be in trouble. I think we will as we have the right coach.

Everyone's thoughts would be great.

Reactions: roaringfork green
Yikes - Can I borrow someone's decoder ring? Anyone can be beaten on a given Saturday (e.g. PSU was a couple bad calls from beating OSU last year). That said, it will be a pretty tall order to beat either OSU or MSU this season. Beating OSU next year in the shoe with the way Meyer has been recruiting and JT Barrett back also has to be considered a long shot. However, beating Sparty in EL after the departure of Connor Cooke is realistic. Michigan's next victory over OSU could come in 2017 in AA (will depend largely on Michigan's QB development). Perhaps that game will truly kick of the next "10 year war".

Yikes - Can I borrow someone's decoder ring? Anyone can be beaten on a given Saturday (e.g. PSU was a couple bad calls from beating OSU last year). That said, it will be a pretty tall order to beat either OSU or MSU this season. Beating OSU next year in the shoe with the way Meyer has been recruiting and JT Barrett back also has to be considered a long shot. However, beating Sparty in EL after the departure of Connor Cooke is realistic. Michigan's next victory over OSU could come in 2017 in AA (will depend largely on Michigan's QB development). Perhaps that game will truly kick of the next "10 year war".

Good post. IMHO, it is a matter of when, not a matter of if when we get our first victory over MSU and OSU and then start competing with and/or even exceeding MSU and rgthen eventually euqlaing OSU, although I am not sure we can exactly pass OSU if Meyer keeps it going the way he has.

As long as Harbuagh is here long enough which I think he will be, I am almost sue it will happen, it just might take some time. It just may take patience. Its hard to be patient after the misery of the last 7 years and even before always getting owned by OSU and losing 3+ games per year even before, but we may have to be patient.

But I am very confident we will get there and then some with Harbaugh in the next 10 years.

Just always looking for that elusive first win against those foes as a stepping stone.

Spartan and Buckeye trolls not welcome to this thread!!! I am calling you out Roaring Fork Green and you stay the heck away from this thread!!!

This has been on my mind for a while and it cannot come soon enough. The thought of losing at home this year to either one of these teams just makes my blood boil so badly.

A big part of Michigan football recovering from what has been an embarrassing 7 years of Michigan foorball is getting that first win against both of these 2 despised hated rivals.

So here it goes. We have both at home this year. Some analysts and some of our fans believe we will not be able to beat either because our roster is so decimated ocmapred to both of those teams that even with how great Harbaugh is, we are at such a severe disadvantage rioster wise there is little chance of it happening even at home.

Some believe we can get one of these games as the roster is not that bad and iwll devleop and Harbaugh is that great to upset one,. Some even believe there is talent we will win right away and the only thing holding us back which terrible coaching and player development unde Hoke and be great right out of the gate and beat both especially at home.

So there is all kinds of opinions out there.

Now having said all of that, if the roster is as decimated as some think and cannot be changed in one season and presuming we lose both those games in 2015, is it a really bad thing and a negative that they are both at home in the case of presumed losses?

To me losing to those hated despised rivals hurts much worse at home than on the road. But its not just that.If we lose to MSU and OSU in AA this year, we have to turn around and lay them both on the road in 2016. So while we may be getteing better, and MSU and OSU take a stepo back in 2016, we have to face them on the road which likely makes it much harder to get that first win against both of those hated foes sooner rather than later assuming home field adantag really means a lot.

Then in 2017, we play both at home again and if in fact we are 0-2 against both in 2015 and 2016, it almost feels like a must win in 2017 against both in AA t get the program these to get Michigan football back on track, because if we somehow lose the first 2 in AA against OSU and MSU, we may be in massive trouble. Harbaugh is great and as good as anyone else if not better, but if he cannot turn our program around, then no one can. Now in 2017, Harbaugh should have much of his roster in place and we should be abl to protect home field. I would think so, but read this thread here: http://mgoblog.com/content/weeks-obsession-how-long-till-harbaugh

Now if what Seth says is true, than 2017 could have severe depth issues due to the 2014 and 2015 classes being much smaller than the 2012 and 2013 classes as those classes will be gone in 2017 unless there are lots of red shirts from 2013 that can hold over? If there is indeed truth to this, we need to beat both of them in the first 2 years, or red shirt the heck out of the 2013 class presuming there is talent that can be developed in it combined with the supposedly really great super sophomore and feshmen classes we will have in 2016 and 2017 that will also be on the field so we can protect the precious home field against those foes in 2017.

So what do you think? If Michigan losses to both OSU and MSU at home this year, is it really bad that the games were in fact at home instead of on the road? Or do you not htink it matters much?

And do you believe Michigan has a real good chance against MSU and OSU on the road in 2016 even if they lose to one or both at home in 2015? What about 2017 and beyond?

We need to do it no later than 2017 or we may be in trouble. I think we will as we have the right coach.

Everyone's thoughts would be great.
It COULD happen this season but unlikely. I expect us to beat MSU in EL next season and OSU at our place in 2017.

It COULD happen this season but unlikely. I expect us to beat MSU in EL next season and OSU at our place in 2017.
We will beat one of them this season. I predict Sparty will lose in AA. Home team has won the past 4 seasons in that series regardless of how great MSU has been. I don't count the Rich Rod years because we were pretty terrible across the board.

MSU wins this year in a closer game than expected. Strong UM defense, but Connor Cook's offense ultimately takes care of business.

MSU wins this year in a closer game than expected. Strong UM defense, but Connor Cook's offense ultimately takes care of business.
We'll see - should be a good game regardless. I personally think the UM defense will be the best in the BIG this year and they will be extra motivated as will JH. I also think having Jake as QB helps a LOT for Michigan - we will have a lot of Sr/Jr on offense versus the past 2 years when we had a bunch of 19 year olds playing.

Yes, UM defense will be extremely tough. However, on the MSU side (aside from Cook's offense approaching historic scoring proportions), the defense has been the shining star. MSU's rushing defense (most important in the UM/MSU series) has been #1 in the nation for vast chunks of the seasons (forget the Big 10) for the last 5 years. In fact, in his whole career at MSU, the defense has held opponents to under 100 yds rushing for over 50% of games played. Not to mention stellar secondary play is becoming the norm.
I guess in Harbaugh year 1, I'm not sure how you can maintain that UM's defense will be better than MSU's (not to mention OSU)...

Uninvited OSU troll here. Harbaugh will beat MSU and/or OSU before they are a consistent legitimate National Championship contender. There's talent on Michigan, Harbaugh despite his eccentricities is a very good coach, and for now, the team can really focus on those games because they're not likely to be a contender this year and may still be in the process next year.

Funny as it sounds Michigan is a sort of trap game for the Buckeyes this season. They play MSU the week before, play in Ann Arbor for Harbaugh's first game in the rivalry, and the next week it could be on to the Big Championship and potential playoffs. If MSU beats OSU, you get the Buckeyes trying to recover from the realization that they may not be in the playoffs.

If I was a Michigan fan, it would give me a better feeling for the immediate future of my team if the Wolverines went 7-5 or 8-4 and beating OSU or MSU, than going 9-3 and losing to both.

If michigan starts the season off good,they will have alot to prove that they are on the right road to winning again,therefore when they play these two teams you are going to see a very fired up team ,I SAY THEY WIN BOTH GAMES!

I have a new grandson. I figure he will be riding a two wheeler without training wheels before that happens.....

n a
Uninvited OSU troll here. Harbaugh will beat MSU and/or OSU before they are a consistent legitimate National Championship contender. There's talent on Michigan, Harbaugh despite his eccentricities is a very good coach, and for now, the team can really focus on those games because they're not likely to be a contender this year and may still be in the process next year.

Funny as it sounds Michigan is a sort of trap game for the Buckeyes this season. They play MSU the week before, play in Ann Arbor for Harbaugh's first game in the rivalry, and the next week it could be on to the Big Championship and potential playoffs. If MSU beats OSU, you get the Buckeyes trying to recover from the realization that they may not be in the playoffs.

If I was a Michigan fan, it would give me a better feeling for the immediate future of my team if the Wolverines went 7-5 or 8-4 and beating OSU or MSU, than going 9-3 and losing to both.

You are not a troll. The OSU and MSU fans wh are trolls are the ones who try and make outrageous predictions and mock us Michigan fans for our misery the last decade.

And I totally agree with you that as mcihigan fan, I would much rather go 7-5 or even 6-6 with a vistory coming over OSU or MSU than 9-3 and losing to them boht, especially with them both being at home!!

Now pumpbeef appears to be an a** troll who should be banned.. Unless they are just a real pessimistic fan. But even then, if god forbid Michigan was 0-3 against MSU and OSU after 2017, something would be terribly wrong. And even then, if we could not beat either at home in 2019 when pumpbeef's grandson would be 4 years old, then clearly it would be for sure proof that we were all wrong about Harbaugh

I just love college football and since I grew up and live in their respective geographical footprint I follow these two teams a little closer. That said, predictions of any kind are just pure speculation and COMPLETELY useless (unless you are trolling). What I do know is the combination of OSU coming off their incredible season and Michigan reloading with new coach will make for a very, VERY exciting season. It's one of those seasons that even if both teams have zero victories going in to that November game in AA it is still going to be an incredible event! September cannot get here soon enough.

I love Vienna sausage's comments. Anyway . . .

You all recall when LC laid an egg against Appy State, right? The biggest upset of the year, however, was the 41-point Stanford "dog" beating USC. That was probably the most mesmerizing game I've watched in years. That also tells me that JH can beat anyone at any time and his group of UM players this season was miles ahead of Stanford's in his first season win over USC.

I would not underestimate JH and his ability to reach emotional levels. That's why he loves college ball. Don't know what his over-all record will be but he'll knock off either or both MSU and OSU.

Good question and a lot of good responses.

That said, I'd be surprised if UM didn't get a win against both programs within the next three years.

I don't mind the fans mocking each other, their programs, and any periods of misery. After all, that's what being a rivalry is all about. But there is a point when it's not about having fun, but much more personal. And that's when trolls and just bad fans show up and they wear green and white, maize and blue, and scarlet and gray, to name just a few.

Reactions: llhcatsports
I don't mind the fans mocking each other, their programs, and any periods of misery. After all, that's what being a rivalry is all about. But there is a point when it's not about having fun, but much more personal. And that's when trolls and just bad fans show up and they wear green and white, maize and blue, and scarlet and gray, to name just a few.

Its literally became personal to me because we have been on the wrong end of utter embarrassment for so long now. I mean it should not be too much to ask as a Michigan fan to at minimum win our fair share against both MSU and OSU and have our fair share of success on the field against other opponents as well in terms of overall record, Big Ten titles, etc... over a 10 year span, regardless of how good OSU and even MSU is.

And even prior to 2008, we were never really great outside of 1997 and thus have not had our fair share of success against OSU from 1993 to present which is my lifetime of following college and pro sports since 9 years old.

I don't remember who made the interesting note between OSU-UM but it was said the difference between the two schools was the quarterback. You recall when UM was the QB capital and the wins went along with that. OSU's run at QB in the 2000s pretty much sums up the UM downward spiral. I recall when UM had 2 good QBs but no one that I remember had three like OSU. Obviously, JH knows what UB learned a while back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT