ADVERTISEMENT

What I know. What I don’t know.

Anison

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
Disclaimer: Read and believe, or not, at your own discretion. I happen to have good information on both sides of this (principally the UM side). No first-hand details here but what I’ve been told and what I believe from people in a position to know. You don’t need to believe me, but I think this context may help with the larger picture of that’s happening.

I know that UM and Jim had an agreement in principle to a new contract at least since the B1G championship game - possibly even the week before.

I don’t know the detailed specifics of that contract but I understand it would’ve made put his base salary at or near the two highest paid in the B1G (Tucker, Day) with additional bonus opportunities. For the sake of comparison, their base salaries are $9.5mm a year and Jim‘s current base is $7mm plus he’s earned at least $2mm more in performance bonuses.

I know that *something* happened to cause one side or the other not to agree to the deal. It was strongly implied to me that UM pressed pause to gain more information when it learned of the impending Level I violation against Jim.

I don’t know why both sides did not or could not sit down to restart things sooner.

I do know that toward the end of last week, UM believed it had a deal at “improved” salary + bonus numbers from the December one. It was also strongly implied to me that the only hold up was the size and duration of the buyout. (Shoutout to @Josh Henschke who had this info from me and waited to confirm rather than passing on what had only been implied; he’s truly the best in the business and I hope everyone appreciates how hard he hustles to get you good, verifiable info).

I don’t know why Jim and his agent are doing this NFL nonsense. A virtual interview for a job that’s clearly going to Sean Payton? Begging the Panthers to give him an interview/convo. Is it leverage on UM? Is Jim looking for that unicorn NFL offer? Who knows.

I do believe that this perennial January saga won’t end unless/until Jim gets an NFL job or signs a poison pill buyout with UM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News