ADVERTISEMENT

Werenski is coming back per article on the Blue Jackets Site*

Werenski and Downing are the top dogs, play them on the top pairing a lot.
Martin and Cecconi
Lohan and Boka
deJong and Piazza

Rarely do superstar pairings work out. I'd separate Downing and Werenski.

Rarely do superstar pairings work out. I'd separate Downing and Werenski.

Agree with you on that one, don't put the two best on one line. Do something like Werenski-Martin, Downing-Cecconi, Lohan and the next best one (Boka, DeJong, Piazza). Make that pairing the one where the person who earns the playing time in practice gets it and if you can move up from there, good for you. I would like to think Lohan could push Downing and that DeJong would push Lohan, but we'll see.

Agree with you on that one, don't put the two best on one line. Do something like Werenski-Martin, Downing-Cecconi, Lohan and the next best one (Boka, DeJong, Piazza). Make that pairing the one where the person who earns the playing time in practice gets it and if you can move up from there, good for you. I would like to think Lohan could push Downing and that DeJong would push Lohan, but we'll see.

I talked to Billy and Wise about a Werenski-Boka line. Sounds like they think Boka will be the most physical of the group, and this would work for two reasons: A) they like pairing a veteran with a rookie B) if Boka is out there crushing people, it allows Zach more room to do his thing, and he doesn't have to focus on the physical side. That said, I think everyone expects Werenski to add a little more physicality to his game this season.

I talked to Billy and Wise about a Werenski-Boka line. Sounds like they think Boka will be the most physical of the group, and this would work for two reasons: A) they like pairing a veteran with a rookie B) if Boka is out there crushing people, it allows Zach more room to do his thing, and he doesn't have to focus on the physical side. That said, I think everyone expects Werenski to add a little more physicality to his game this season.

That would work too, i don't know much about the incoming guys, I tend to wait until they are actually in school and skating for Michigan. So long as he's defensively responsible while crushing people that could make a good combination. Seems to me it would negate some of the good you get with Werenski on the ice if he has to constantly cover for the other D-man. A very physical player paired with an offensive, yet physical player, would be a great combination so long as in the end they both remember that they are defensive players and take care of that part of the game first before jumping into the offense or knocking some other guys head off with a huge hit.

That would work too, i don't know much about the incoming guys, I tend to wait until they are actually in school and skating for Michigan. So long as he's defensively responsible while crushing people that could make a good combination. Seems to me it would negate some of the good you get with Werenski on the ice if he has to constantly cover for the other D-man. A very physical player paired with an offensive, yet physical player, would be a great combination so long as in the end they both remember that they are defensive players and take care of that part of the game first before jumping into the offense or knocking some other guys head off with a huge hit.

Sounds like Boka or Martin would be perfect for him. But I'm sure everyone will get a chance at some point this year. It tends to work out that way with 35 games. :)

Reactions: GeoffChiles
Not to comment on the pairing- with my policy of not learning about players until I see them with skates on.

But it's kind of amusing to see a sophomore be referenced as a veteran- veteran enough to be paired with a freshman. When this veteran was 17 a year ago.

Seriously, I do know that Zach is a heck of a player. One of the few that *might* garner a ride to the airport.

Not to comment on the pairing- with my policy of not learning about players until I see them with skates on.

But it's kind of amusing to see a sophomore be referenced as a veteran- veteran enough to be paired with a freshman. When this veteran was 17 a year ago.

Seriously, I do know that Zach is a heck of a player. One of the few that *might* garner a ride to the airport.

Would think Red will be happy to give him that ride next spring/summer.

Would think Red will be happy to give him that ride next spring/summer.

If he has another season like last year and continues to add more physical play to his game, I should think so.

I'm looking for all of the defensemen to develop in more tangible ways this year more than their "type." Would like to see Downing improve his passing and awareness, Lohan use size more to his advantage, Martin jump into the play when necessary. Considering the offense needs to figure out where goals are going to come from, more scoring would be welcomed, too.

Reactions: BigHouse88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT