ADVERTISEMENT

Were some of you in a coma from 2008-2014?

andrewhfine

Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2006
Listen, I get it - the end of the season was extremely disappointing. And in Year 4 of Harbaugh we all probably expected more. He hasn’t delivered everything we hoped he would have.

But after the 7 years we endured, I don’t see how anybody can pine for a new coach. Why would we ever risk going back to that? Any Michigan fan should know that there are far worse things than losing to OSU and then losing a NYD/NY6/BCS/whatever we are calling elite bowl games. The finishes to the last 3 seasons have been disappointing, but at least the lead ups were entertaining. As opposed to 2008-2014 where we never entered the OSU game with even a chance to win the conference.

Beyond that, even if we could somehow lure someone better than Harbaugh, regime change is tough. Consistency is what creates long term success. And we aren’t getting anyone decent if we’re willing to run off our native son after he posted 10 wins in 3 of 4 seasons.

And I’ll add this - only one coach has taken over a program in tatters and turned them into a perennial title contender in under 5 years. And that’s Nick Saban. Jim Harbaugh isn’t Nick Saban. That’s ok. Most coaches need a little bit more time,

And in the meantime, 10 win seasons are significantly preferable to 3-9, 5-7, 7-6, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News