ADVERTISEMENT

Watched some tape....and Simpson looks like the typical JB

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
pg. I don't JB has ever looked for a pg who was a great 3 pt shooter. Just a guy who in theory could distribute the ball and get into the lane. Simpson on film looks like an upgrade from Walton (who knows). Not as good from the perimeter as Burke but better in drawing contact. A gamer. Looks promising.

Watson looks like a LeVert type of player but not as rail thin and more developed at this stage. I think LeVert/MAAR have made an impact on JB whereas JB had guys like Vogrich, Douglas, Stauskas but sees where a guy who is more athletic can help on the boards and is quicker on the perimeter to play defense and get to the hoop. I think JB has recognized that athleticism is a commodity that can offset a weaker perimeter shot.

The point of the post is JB has come to realize his teams aren't athletic enough and that LeVert/MAAR have made a bigger impact on his 'evolution' than guys like Stauskas who was athletic in his own right. I have just noticed a different philosophy from JB on his wing recruits. His new guys seem to be able to get to the hoop by putting the ball on the floor. Less reliance on the 3 pt shot and more on athleticism. Not abandoning the 3 pt shot. Even Poole looks like he can get to the hoop.

Maybe he sees his opponents overplaying on the perimeter right now and looking to make the necessary adjustments. I see JB 'evolving' after a couple of really mediocre/poor years. Bigger guys seem to be on the way down low. I expect to see a significant change in UM bball over the next 18 months. My prediction is UM will be shooting 10-15% less 3's and trying to get to the hoop.

RM

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT