ADVERTISEMENT

Tuttle and Moore

buttaball

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Columbia, MD
I was a bit confused as far as the dismay of some people who look at Jack Tuttle's possible return, as well as the possibility that he wins the starting QB job.

Tuttle has the raw materials: He was a top 5 Pro-style QB recruit who committed to Utah. Then he went to IU, where, ironically he was behind Penix, though he was actually the much more highly-touted prospect.

We've already seen how dominant Penix looked in a good system after he left IU.

Tuttle, if he returns and wins the starting QB job, won't be asked to do half of what Washington asked of Penix in Moore's system. I could easily see him having a better season than Cade did in 2021: 2576, 15 TDs, 6 INTs, in an offense that, since Moore took over, has been more efficient in the passing game.

2021: 395 passing attempts, 62.8% completions, 8.1 yards per attempt, 21 passing TDs, 9 INTs.
2022: 370 passing attempts, 64% completions, 8.3 YPA, 24 TDs, 6 INTs
2023: 361 passing attempts, 72% completions, 9.0 YPA, 24 TDs, 5 INTs.

That 72% completions is 8th in the nation.

In addition, as we can see with 2023 being the lowest amount of INTs thrown (4 by JJ and one by Davis Warren).

And as many have complained about, less attempts...What people aren't complaining about is that we scored the same amount of passing TDs in 36 less attempts...

Michigan's running game attempted 37 less rushes in 2023 than in 2022, lower YPC, but only one less TD.
To compare:
2021: 970 combined pass and rushing attempts- 60 TDs.
2022: 970 combined pass and rushing attempts- 65 TDs. (The Moore/Weiss co-OC year)
2023: 924 combined pass and rushing attempts- 64 TDs

But this goes to the crux of Michigan's issue/Non-issue:

Behind this offense, we are basically a Big Boy version of those Barry Alvarez Wisconsin teams: Absolutely a pain in the butt to play against, regardless of who our QB is.

Add to this a VERY underrated part of the strategy that led to Michigan's success: The running clock which leads to a shortened game, which in turn leads to compressed stats due simply to less time.

I almost feel as if the running clock has led pass -first teams to have issues controlling the game tempo as well as a run-first, second, and third team like Michigan. I mean, USC fell off a cliff, and Michigan made a Washington squad that beat Oregon twice, look like, well, Maryland.

As my guy @argus99 stated: A culture based on toughness can't be faked, or created by a leader with no toughness. Moore has shown that embracing the "Smash" in college football endears him to just the type of high school kid or transfer that loves the physical style, which then feeds itself.

Once again "Wefense", an offense that plays perfectly into making "1.5" dimensional teams that "kind of run" one dimensional, which plays right into our defense. Our O scores a bunch of TDs based on the good field position given to them by what I like to call our "two minute D": I honestly felt that other teams were at a disadvantage when they had to pass due to time constraints.

I called McCord's 2 INTs including one in a pressure situation down the stretch, based solely on our defensive playmakers. Next season, that D brings back a good bunch: Will J, Graham, Grant, Paige, R. Moore, D. Moore, Hausmann (3rd on the team in total tackles), Sabb, Stewart...

The very stuff that made many Michigan fans mad about Sheronne Moore's offense will be happy this season when we really need to lean on our running game.

And honestly, with our D returning a ton, I feel that Tuttle's return would at least make me comfortable that Michigan would at least have a veteran with B1G starting experience (at IU). His return IMO would guarantee at the least a game manager.

What's going to happen with Jim is still up in the air, but regardless I feel that keeping Moore and bringing back Tuttle could be key for Michigan's 2024 ceiling.

If Harbaugh, Moore, and Tuttle all return, I would feel really comfortable with that outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News