ADVERTISEMENT

Tressel on Harbaugh

ArrowheadBlue

Heisman
May 29, 2001
It's hard to find anyone, at this point, who openly stood against Michigan's decision to pursue and eventually hire new football coach Jim Harbaugh.

And you can go ahead and include former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel in the large group of people who are interested to see what Harbaugh does at Michigan.

Speaking with the Akron Beacon Journal at an event at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Tressel said if anyone can close the gap between Michigan and Ohio State at the moment, it's probably Harbaugh.

"I think Jim Harbaugh will bring something to the Ohio State-Michigan storied rivalry," Tressel told the paper. "He's been successful wherever he's been. He's extremely hard-working. He has great pride in his alma mater.

"Personally, I think they're a ways away from being at the level where there's going to be a Ten Year War. I think they've got some work to do to get to that. But if anyone can do it, Jim Harbaugh can. He'll do a great job."

Michigan, of course, has dropped 13 of the last 15 meetings between the two storied rivals, and is now 0-3 against current Ohio State coach Urban Meyer -- who just clinched the program a national championship this past season.

Tressel -- who resigned in 2011 after NCAA rule breaking -- played a major role in turning the rivalry tide back in favor of Ohio State. When Tressel took the job in 2001, the Buckeyes had gone 3-12-1 against the Wolverines since 1985.

The key to turning things back for Ohio State, Tressel says, was keeping Ohio-born players inside the state of Ohio and away from Michigan. In the former coach's estimation, Harbaugh's quickest path to catching Ohio State will be winning those recruiting battles in the Buckeye state.

"I think we might have lost one guy (in our 25-man 2002 class) to Michigan," Tressel said of his first big-time class at OSU. "The door closed and it hasn't been (opened again).

"How far behind (is Michigan)? It (depends) on how long that door stays closed. That's the key. Urban will do a great job, they know how to win, they've got a great staff. But you've still got to keep it closed."

Tressel may have a point here.

When it comes to the top five recruits inside the state of Ohio (per 247sports), Michigan has signed just five prospects since 2008: Mike McCray and Dymonte Thomas in 2013, Kyle Kalis and Joe Bolden in 2012 and Justin Turner in 2009.

Michigan and Harbaugh will continue to recruit the state of Ohio, though the Wolverines are also putting together a more national approach under their new staff -- as the Wolverines continue to recruit multiple skill position players in California, Florida and Texas. Harbaugh had success recruiting all three of those talent-rich states during his run at Stanford from 2007-10.

Tressell? Isn't he the coach kicked out of OldShitU, of all places, for cribbing on the ncaa laws? The guy carried off on the shoulders of his admirerers? I should give a crap what he thinks about Michigan? Forget his sorry, corrupt ass.

Tress is the man. He's smarter than any person who has ever been on this board.

Long Live Tress!!!!

True. None of us could be President of

a fourth-tier State University that is a border-line Community College, with their campus in one of the most run-down, empty, impoverished, dumpy and crime-ridden cities in America.

This post was edited on 3/4 11:02 AM by michnittlion

That old adage...it's a lie...

Cheaters do prosper...JT is a perfect example - and it did not even take contrition or redemption...just balls out lying and deceit and Jim Tressel is world class at both.

he fits perfectly into Ohio's world as well...God Bless you for hosting to him for all these years.

Originally posted by ArrowheadBlue:

"I think we might have lost one guy (in our 25-man 2002 class) to Michigan," Tressel said of his first big-time class at OSU. "The door closed and it hasn't been (opened again).
That's kind of a weird factoid. If you look at Michigan's 2002 class, we signed 2 guys from Ohio--Mark Bihl and Willis Barringer. Neither of those guys was somebody you should still be thinking about 13 years later.

BUT, they did lose Prescott Burgess (#6 in the country) and Shawn Crable (#39 in the country) the next year. Then 4-star Mike Massey (reported OSU offer) in 2005. Then they lost Justin Boren (#64 overall) in 2006 and don't tell me they didn't want him. It wasn't until 2008 really that OSU started stopped losing Ohio guys that they wanted to Michigan (and, even in that class, they made a late push for Patrick Omameh).

Heisenburg. In time you see that it is as important to look inside the man

more so than out side. As a Man of Faith I look at his "walk" since he shouts it from the corners as Jesus stated. Jesus also called them hypocrites. They wear their character on the outside, a faced, , yet inside they are as filthy bones. Jim would be better off not using GOD to get to the families for he can't serve both God and man. He must choose one or the other. I believe by his WALK he has chosen man, the flesh and his reward is here and now .
He also gave tOSU a bad reap. You like that? I really don't believe in your heart you do. God be with you as you press on . "74

Originally posted by Mroad:

Tressel is the embodiment of OSU football....enough said!
Sure Coach Tressel-Michigan didn't get behind OSU because YOU shut the door on recruiting out the state of Ohio. OSU gained the momentum because YOU CHEATED your way to elevate the program. You should be ashamed of what you did while you were leading that program. Urban Meyer is no different than you. He was an excellent coach at Florida as well, however, his program was even more criminal than Jimbo Fisher's crew at Florida State. The heat was turned up on Meyer when Saban settled in at Alabama and started to whip Florida's ass on a consistent basis. As a result, Meyer fled and wound up in Columbus. Yes, he has won big in a short time, however, Jim Harbaugh is a better coach than Urban and Michigan will become a major problem for Urby just like Saban did. National championships won at UF and OSU mean nothing because Harbaugh was successful in the NFL where Urby has never coached a day in his life.

You do realize that Meyer, while at Florida, was 1-2 against Alabama in the regular season and 1-1 against them in the SEC championship game, right? The facts hardly show that Saban started to "whip Florida's ass on a consistent basis", but don't let the facts get in the way of your good story. lol

Re: Heisenburg. In time you see that it is as important to look inside the man

Originally posted by wolverines74:
In time you see that it is as important to look inside the man more so than out side. As a Man of Faith I look at his "walk" since he shouts it from the corners as Jesus stated. Jesus also called them hypocrites. They wear their character on the outside, a faced, , yet inside they are as filthy bones. Jim would be better off not using GOD to get to the families for he can't serve both God and man. He must choose one or the other. I believe by his WALK he has chosen man, the flesh and his reward is here and now.
Good thing Ohio State fans don't have to answer to michigan fans to get into heaven. I don't know Tress, but i know quite a few people that do (past players, players family, and media) and every one of them said he's awesome. I choose to believe them over a michigan fan on an internet board that most likely was never in the same room as him.

He also gave tOSU a bad reap. You like that? I really don't believe in your heart you do.

I don't see any bad reputation besides from fans of teams we beat every year. I'm good.

I felt a strange feeling, came here, and realized why

You came up with a list of Ohio-based Michigan players and forgot to include Mario Manningham.

Re: 9-1*

Huge UM fan. Hate OSU. Always have. My family is a mixture of OSU fans and I am the only UM fan. Been that way for 38 years. I went to FSU, but I have always been a Wolverine.

So, Tressel is a cheat. I know Urban Liar and he is a world class cheat too. A lying punk at its finest.

Tressel can coach though. He can coach his ass off. Urbie....his numbers speak for themselves, but he is such a jerk, I can hardly conjure up anything nice to say at all about him. OK, I got it, he has a daughter 99% of us would love to do dirty things to.

I hate the roll OSU has been on in football, but the landscape will change. JH was the move to do it. I suspect this year we compete a bit and in the next 2-3 years, we compete for a big 10 championship and beat OSU. It's gonna take a few sneaky wins, a big recruiting class, and a bell cow. Obviously, it will have to be someone under center for me.

I liked Brady Hoke. I wanted him to succeed. The hole he stepped into from RichRod was huge. That said, Brady needed to go. FSU did the same thing in hiring Jimbo and subsequently getting Jameis. UM will be there soon. FSU hadnt fallen nearly as far in terms of talent, but it's ok. Money, facilities, coaching, tradition, and history will thrust UM back up to the top.

About Tressel, he is cheat. But, I CANNOT wait to see Urban Liar lose to the Wolverines.

You see nothing wrong with the NCAA violations they got tagged with

because of his "ways". I'm grateful then that you will not ever throw stones at other schools if they commit NCAA violations. And you can't tell me using the Bible and collected money and then being dishonest is good. You are showing your true colors and it has nothing to do with winning and beating anyone. It has to do with character. Your willing to do anything to win. That in itself says a lot about you as a person. I'd hope you see that as you mature ."74

Re: I'm glad you used the asterisk, but it should have been by the 9*

Classic. The generalization used to demonize Ohio State is really just an excuse to justify your feeling of inferiority and lack of success. This is a coping method used in many areas outside of sport as well.

The truth is that you hate OSU because you don't like losing to them. The more you emphasize that this is an ethical issue of which you are above, the more transparent it makes your true motive.

And I find that hilarious!

Re: You see nothing wrong with the NCAA violations they got tagged with

I'm grateful then that you will not ever throw stones at other schools if they commit NCAA violations.
A lot of fans are stupid and get pissed when your team gets an NCAA violation but then wants the NCAA to throw the book at every other program. I am not one of those guys. I think the NCAA is a joke and i don't act like someone just committed murder when their rules are broken. NCAA violations happen every day in every program.

Classic. The generalization used to demonize Michigan is really just an excuse to justify your feeling of success and desire to cheat to win. This is a coping method used in many areas outside of sport as well.

The truth is that you hate Michigan because you don't like losing to them, so you cheat to win. The more you emphasize that this is not an ethical issue of which you are above, the more transparent it makes your true motive.

And I find that hilarious!

Holding is also cheating. Michigan also cheats in order to win. They just don't win as much.

Re: Jim Tressel*

Originally posted by 409fold:
* - only B1G coach in history who currently has vacated victories.
Because protecting kids trading their own property for tattoos is apparently a bigger sin than protecting a pedophile.

Right, and murder and speeding are both crimes, therefore everyone is a criminal.
indifferent.r191677.gif

Ah, the classic argument: "letter of the law" vs. "moral law"

JT broke the "letter of the law" (the NCAA rule book) but he was, according to your spin, "morally right" (protecting kids trading their own property).

As for a one-time PSU HC. He did follow the "letter of the law" (he told his superiors, even the Freeh Report acknowledges that), but he was "morally wrong" (not going to the police after it was clear that his superiors did not).

When it comes to college football, administering morality is for the Church and God. Administering "the letter of the law" is for the NCAA. JT broke NCAA rules. Punished justly was JT.

JT can save his "morally right" argument for his later, forthcoming date with God.
This post was edited on 3/5 4:35 PM by 409fold

Re: Jim Tressel*

Originally posted by luis1972:

Originally posted by 409fold:
* - only B1G coach in history who currently has vacated victories.
Because protecting kids trading their own property for tattoos is apparently a bigger sin than protecting a pedophile.
Right, and the only crime Al Capone ever committed was tax evasion....

I can't remember, are you guys for or against Clarrett right now? I would have to assume still against, and the stuff he said was all false, right?

Originally posted by ohfootballfan:
You do realize that Meyer, while at Florida, was 1-2 against Alabama in the regular season and 1-1 against them in the SEC championship game, right? The facts hardly show that Saban started to "whip Florida's ass on a consistent basis", but don't let the facts get in the way of your good story. lol
It took Saban just two years to get rolling in Tuscaloosa. He is only 1 of 4 coaches who has a winning record against Meyer. Meyer knew what was coming with a Saban coached Alabama team and that included the competition he would get from the recruiting side of it as well. Meyer has a history of jumping when he is not the top dog. Will he jump when Harbaugh does the same in Ann Arbor as Saban has done in Tuscaloosa?

totally agree. why even comment on his thoughts. he does not deserve that respect on thiis board!!

Saban does not have a winning record against Urban Meyer, but the more realistic question is Harbaugh going to be at UM for more than 4 years in order to "get rolling" like Saban? Harbaugh does have a history of getting run out of town when his schtick wears thin.

"History of being run out of town"????? Huh???

What "history" is there beyond San Francisco?

--------------------------------------

As a player:

(1) JH left Chicago as a free-agent after 1993 primarily because of Scott Mitchell (of all people). Detroit signed Mitchell before the 1994 season, so they didn't need Erik Kramer any more. Kramer signed as a free-agent with Chicago. So Chicago didn't need JH any more, he signed with the Colts. Frankly, JH wasn't very good with the Bears in 1992-1993, so the upgrade was justified.

(2) JH left Indianapolis as a free-agent after 1997 because the Colts were getting ready to draft Peyton Manning, and wouldn't need JH any longer. I think that was a pretty wise move by the Colts.

(3) JH spent a year in Baltimore, then got traded to San Diego in March 1999. That's because San Diego needed a QB since Ryan Leaf sucked so much in 1998, and besides, Baltimore had just signed ....... Scott Mitchell. Anyway, he wasn't run out of town.

(4) San Diego was the end of the line for JH in the NFL.

---------------------------------------

As a coach:

(1) JH left the University of San Diego because he did a good job there, and Stanford hired him.

(2) JH left Stanford because he did a good job there, and the 49ers hired him.

(3) Yes, the 49ers ran JH out of town despite quite a bit of success there.

----------------------------------------

Anyway, that is one time JH was "run out of town." I guess that is "history" to you?

And the 49ers look pretty stupid for having done that

If I were a fan, I would be livid. They have idiots running that team.

Originally posted by scfanblue:

It took Saban just two years to get rolling in Tuscaloosa. He is only 1 of 4 coaches who has a winning record against Meyer. Meyer knew what was coming with a Saban coached Alabama team and that included the competition he would get from the recruiting side of it as well. Meyer has a history of jumping when he is not the top dog. Will he jump when Harbaugh does the same in Ann Arbor as Saban has done in Tuscaloosa?
Harbaugh hasn't done anything to compair himself to Saben (or Meyer) yet. Saben and Meyer are considered two of the best NCAA coaches of all time. JH hasn't done anything to even get close to that list.

Do you not hate Michigan?

Hmm, well that shoots that argument.

Why do you want to be loved by your rival, anyway? Did mommy not love you?
laugh.r191677.gif

Re: I felt a strange feeling, came here, and realized why

Originally posted by buck,esq.:

You came up with a list of Ohio-based Michigan players and forgot to include Mario Manningham.
Good catch. Manningham's recruitment was over so early that there just wasn't much to it....but it's fair to assume that he would have gotten an OSU offer at some point even if he didn't have one already (rivals database does not show an OSU offer, fwiw).

Re: "History of being run out of town"????? Huh???

Originally posted by michnittlion:
What "history" is there beyond San Francisco?

--------------------------------------

As a player:

(1) JH left Chicago as a free-agent after 1993 primarily because of Scott Mitchell (of all people). Detroit signed Mitchell before the 1994 season, so they didn't need Erik Kramer any more. Kramer signed as a free-agent with Chicago. So Chicago didn't need JH any more, he signed with the Colts. Frankly, JH wasn't very good with the Bears in 1992-1993, so the upgrade was justified.

(2) JH left Indianapolis as a free-agent after 1997 because the Colts were getting ready to draft Peyton Manning, and wouldn't need JH any longer. I think that was a pretty wise move by the Colts.

(3) JH spent a year in Baltimore, then got traded to San Diego in March 1999. That's because San Diego needed a QB since Ryan Leaf sucked so much in 1998, and besides, Baltimore had just signed ....... Scott Mitchell. Anyway, he wasn't run out of town.

(4) San Diego was the end of the line for JH in the NFL.

---------------------------------------

As a coach:

(1) JH left the University of San Diego because he did a good job there, and Stanford hired him.

(2) JH left Stanford because he did a good job there, and the 49ers hired him.

(3) Yes, the 49ers ran JH out of town despite quite a bit of success there.

----------------------------------------

Anyway, that is one time JH was "run out of town." I guess that is "history" to you?
As a undergraduate:

(1) Tried to beat up some chick and got his A$$ handed to him by Aoichii. Yes, Aoichii states it was merely a "wall off", but I suspect that's just to leave H-bomb a little dignity.

Originally posted by ohfootballfan:
Saban does not have a winning record against Urban Meyer, but the more realistic question is Harbaugh going to be at UM for more than 4 years in order to "get rolling" like Saban? Harbaugh does have a history of getting run out of town when his schtick wears thin.
Meyers longest time at one place is 5 years. How long you think he stays at OSU? Your statement of being run out of town is a little off.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT