ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game and the team . . .

92Wolv

Heisman
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
- Yes, I was thinking doom and gloom after the fumble right before the end of the first half. We had dominated Northwestern and only up 3. Then it looked like we may have fumbled the opening 2nd half kickoff (does anyone know what happened? - Fox didn't show a replay). I was at the Northwestern game in 2000 in Evanston and that has had a permanent psychological impact on me I guess! p.s. - I wish we didn't have Corum returning KO's . . . . the kid doesn't need more high speed hits.

- It was nice how well the offensive line played despite missing 2 starters (and I don't believe Fialaga is 100%). This is the best depth we've had on the line in a long, long time.

- There is little question that McCarthy is the future. But I think Harbaugh has handled the QB situation so far as well as it can be handled. He's gone with the guy with more experience/time in the program but slowly brought McCarthy along making him, Cade, and the team know he's going to play a role on the team this year and the future. He's given McCarthy in game experience and continued to let him learn the offense in practice. You simply can't bench Cade so long as he's not making big mistakes and the team is winning. But we've got a situation now that if we need McCarthy, both he and the team will be comfortable with him coming in and playing. Take a look at Oklahoma. Caleb Williams didn't look very good yesterday against one of the worse defenses in college football. But because of how the QB situation was handled, it's tough now to go back to Rattler.

- As for McCarthy, he definitely has the tools. But he also takes major risks that could result in disaster. His tendency to scramble backwards is not something Harbaugh wants to see (because it could result in big yardage losses - especially against a better/more athletic defense than Northwestern's). And he completed the throw (called back by penalty) after the scramble but that's NOT a throw you want your QB making - a late throw against his body across the middle. I'm guessing the coaches are seeing more of the warts in practice than us.

- With respect to that play, I doubt the coaching staff gets on Fialaga for the block he got penalized for. Fialaga was hustling and protecting his QB.

- I'm not sure I've ever seen a Michigan back who refuses to go down more than Haskins. And the kid really has incredible balance and is so tough to get off his feet. If he had better top end speed, he's be a first round NFL pick.

- Erik All has really turned into a top flight TE. He is a great blocker with good speed and is catching the ball this year. It's nice to see us using him so much.

- I watched some of the Alabama game yesterday. It seems to me that their offense looks a bit like our's. They just have NFL players at every position to run it - the biggest advantage they have is their receivers are way better than our's. Bryce Young looks very similar to McCarthy to me - but with an extra year of experience and more talent around him.

- The amount Hutchinson gets held is truly absurd. I would like to see him not play so many snaps.

- I a lot of people were down on Ross before the season. He makes some mistakes but is a playmaker.

- Does anyone know why Green and Gray didn't play yesterday (or didn't play much)?

- Anthony looks the part out there. It would be nice to add to the receiving corps on offense.

- Great punt block by CJ. It was cool to read about Harbaugh explaining it . . . how it was planned, you calculate exactly how many steps it takes to get to the punter, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News