ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on RB: This season, and next.

buttaball

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Columbia, MD
Blake is becoming more Blakey by the game- But I feel that, after heavy loads early the last two seasons which may or may not have led to late season injuries, they are keeping Blake on a pitch count to make sure that he makes it to OSU healthy enough to carry the ball 20 times, if needed. We will see full Blake vs PSU, but I doubt he gets the 28 carries he got in last season's game, due to a more balanced offense.

I feel like Kalel will be looked at as a Sainristil story by late this season. It was nice to see Michigan break tendency by actually throwing the ball to Kalel out of the backfield. It was even better to see Kalel look so natural running the route and plucking the ball out of the air for a 13-yard gain.

I also get the feeling that The Don will explode late this season (right on time for the big games!), we win the Championship in a classic game against UGA, and he will hit the NFL Draft on an upswing. We saw 5 yards per carry , albeit on only 4 carries at the Gophers.

I keep in mind that he got on track last season vs PSU with 16 carries for 173 yards in game 6.

I'm getting the feeling that Donovan is a "big game back" - His best games have come against PSU, OSU (22-216, 2 TDs), Purdue in the B1G Championship game (25-185, 1 TD), and in the Bowl Game vs TCU (23-119).

He even had a solid game catching the ball out of the backfield in the disastrous 2021 BCS game vs UGA: 3 catches for 49 yards, including our biggest play of the game, a 43-yard reception.

I'm torn between thinking that The Don is either a late season, or a big game back, but either way this looks great for a team that already looks dominant.

Now, onto 2024...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News