ADVERTISEMENT

This week feels a lot like 2018 heading into the game. Here are a few reasons I think it will be different...

nickespitia

Michigan Man
Oct 24, 2005
So, I think this year's team is built a lot like the 2018 team. That might not give folks a lot of warm and fuzzy feelings heading into Saturday but I think there are a few important reasons that this year will be different.

First, we have a better offense. Our offensive line and Haskins are better than the 2018 groups. We're better at staying in front of the chains and Haskins always seems to get the tough yards needed to keep the offense on the field. It's not going to be easy but I think we're more talented in that regard than we were in 2018. Relatedly, I think Cade is better at keeping the offense in good positions than Patterson was in 2018. I'm not sure if Cade is better than Patterson overall but I think he has a better skillset to keep Michigan competitive.

I also think our defense is better at preventing big plays. Now, OSU is still going to hit us over the top at some point (they're too good not too) but the big plays under Brown were back breakers and put our offense in a position where they had to play catch up. This year's defense is more equipped to make OSU go on long drives and to shorten the game. I think the hope is that we can still be within a score late in the game and then the offense comes through with a big play/drive.

Finally, and I really think this will be the major key, we need our DLine to show up. The 2018 group was every bit as talented as this year's group but didn't show up in 2018. We didn't generate any pass rush and gave Haskins all day to pick apart our secondary. We need Hutch, Ojabo, Morris, and the rest of the DL to have their best game of the year. I think we can rattle Stroud if they hit him early and often. We haven't had our projected first round guys play like first round guys agains OSU in a long time. I think this is the year it finally happens. If Hutch and Ojabo are able to create havoc then I think we have a chance. I'm not super confident but I feel better about pulling off the upset than I have the past few years. Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News