ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking a bit about the defensive depth chart...

Highbury

All-American
Dec 21, 2021
(And I'd be curious to know @Trevor McCue 's thoughts here...)

We line up in a number of different ways. sometimes there will be 3 guys with a hand down, 2 EDGE guys stood up, and 2 ILB's. That's perhaps the base formation, although we also do employ a lot of 2 down linemen and 2 ends stood up.

In the base formation, it looks like Grant over the nose, flanked by Jenkins and Graham, with Stewart and Harrell stood up, and I think this is trending towards Colson and Hausmann as an uber-athletic ILB duo.

When we switch to 2 down guys, for passing downs, it's likely Graham and Jenkins with the hands down, Stewart and McGregor (or maybe Derrick Moore) as the ends, and Harrell or even Barrett at the SAM.

And if it's a matchup that requires a VIPER, we walk Moten down.

(Of course, you also have a sizable percentage of downs where we play a true nickel, so Sainristil will be on the field with the two corners with one less body in the front 7.)

But what was striking to me when I was playing with this is...

Holy shit, are we deep in the front 7!

Our second LB unit of Hill-Green, Rolder and Barrett would have looked good to us as STARTERS during the Rodriguez and Hoke years.

Benny seems to be emerging as a legit starter-quality rotation piece in the Jenkins or Graham positions.

Derrick Moore looks like part of the rotation with Stewart and McGregor, but also an alternative for Jenkins as he inches into the 280's.

With Graham, Grant, Jenkins, Benny, Moore, Harrell, McGregor, Stewart, Colson, Hausmann, Barrett, Rolder, Hill-Green and bit parts for Goode and Moten and maybe TJ Guy... we have a full 2-deep-plus of truly viable players.

And in terms to getting our roster down from the bloated 102 it's at right now... if you're Tyler McLaurin, Kechaun Bennett, Ike Iwunnah, or Jaydon Hood, you might be wondering what you're still doing here, football-wise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News