ADVERTISEMENT

The best solution to Tigers threads?

Re: Pin an official thread a couple of hours before the game. That way,

they are not searching for the thread. Leave it for the season. Just clear it once a day.

I was Kidding

I don't see a problem with the threads I just think its funny how fired up people get about the threads

(M_Partial) My suggestion is to bar, and immediately delete....

....any and all posts that complain about Tigers threads. This will instantly cut down Tigers-related posts by about 25 percent, will keep patrons "in the sports bar," will encourage today's whiners to be tomorrow's Tiger thread skippers and raise the cumulative civility level.

The best solution to Tigers threads? Here goes....

First, there is no good solution. So many Michigan fans are Tiger fans that they want to vent, and feel they are free to do so. On the other hand, many Michigan fans are not Tiger fans and find all the threads here an annoying distraction and side-show. Any "solution" is going to irritate someone.

The way I see it, just one opinion, is that this is a Michigan Wolverine's board, and everyone who signs up and pays is doing so to follow and discuss the University of Michigan. That is the implicit contract for signing up. It would seem a reasonable conclusion that those who want to discuss the Tigers' every inning find a Tigers venue somewhere, and sign up to converse with others interested in that team.

As a Tiger fan, this opinion probably upsets me. (Free speech!) However, this site is about Michigan U., so at the end of the day, it doesn't seem fair to impose Tiger-Mania on everyone who has paid to be here specifically for the Michigan Wolverines. My opinion is to keep this board focused on what it was created for, is marketed as, and everyone pays for. Again, any decision likely leaves a number of subscribers unhappy.

Delete redundant threads.

I have no problem with tigers/red wings threads. I do see the same problems with them that happens during football games. 10+ people posting the exact same thing in the subject line. 10 people saying nice hit Cabrera, takes up the same amount of room as nice run denard!

Delete the extras. If that can be done, delete the threads calling for threads to be deleted.

It's as simple as....

ASK the members to please keep the Tigers topics to a minimum and/or try to keep it to one thread a page. Also, can make a rule such as, no substance-less posts such as:

"Verlander is filthy*"
"Inge needs to be cut*"
"I see you Boesch*"
"WOW*"

Posts that include meaningful links or information such as major injuries, positions switches, call ups, etc should be tolerated.

I do think that asking the members to cut it down will work...may need a few reminders throughout the summer.

Switch the board to topic view, much easier to move past...

the discussions you don't care about. All you have to do is teach people to use the qoute button, and it's easier for anyone to see who you are responding to.

I would encourage a single game thread, as it were, if we're supposed to limit our bball comments to one game thread, then other games should be treated the same way. That said, People who complain about that stuff just end up causing as much clutter as the people they're complaining about, IMO. But, as a topic viewer, I couldn't care less, it's just one line on the page as far as I'm concerned, I can click on it if I want to read their complaints, or Tiger game comments, or move past it to something I care about.

Official game day tiger's thread

Just have someone (mod or a regular poster) post it near the 1st pitch.

Much like Chris did with BBall threads. If it gets too long, someone can start a new one.

I think this is the objective solution

I think I fall right on the median of Tigers interest. I am a Twins fan (the first step is admitting it), so I am only partly interested in the Tigers because they are division rivals. I'm about half way between the diehards and the people who think that the threads are a giant pain. However, having lived in Michigan for undergrad, I can appreciate the fans new excitement about fielding a winner. This is a sports message board with roots in Michigan. Detroit Tigers baseball is a part of that, whether people like it or not.

Do I think the Tigers threads are annoying? Yes. Do I really mind it? No. This is a message board fergodsake. If you don't like the content of the thread, it is literally a 2 second mouse click/scroll. Or, switch to topic view.

To the people being inconvenienced: Come on, is it that big of a deal? You're just going to waste the mods' time on a Monday when you could just click through.

Spath, you don't have to change the board, it's quite easy to navigate.

Everyone's saying start a Tigers in-game thread and that's a great idea but

we're still going to discuss the Tigers outside of Tigers games. I think it would be ridiculous to only allow us to discuss the Tigers when a game is on. Also, not many people will even be discussing the Tigers that often during games, I think, once the season gets going. The only reason the board was like it was yesterday is because it was opening day.

Just leave it as it is

If for 3 hours out of the day people want to talk about the Detroit Tigers what is the big deal?

If someone can come up with a compelling reason why something should be done about "all the Tigers threads", then we should do something. Until then it's just pointless whining.

Following the bar analogy, you would certainly prevent annoying patrons from approaching other patrons tables and cramming loud obnoxious discourse on things better served in another bar or at least in another section with other village loons.
My $0.02 is we enforce the rules of the fort that states that all discourse is regarding Michigan athletics and recruting in The Fort and have a "Wolverine Town Hall" or soemthing of that nature for all the other BS. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
This post was edited on 4/6 11:10 AM by AirBlue23
This post was edited on 4/6 11:10 AM by AirBlue23

NO MORE OT

It's a great idea. The only problem is that....

Most people will not go there. And when the tigers fans aren't getting the right kind of circulation for their posts, they're going to post here anyway.

Isn't this essentially the "quit whining" response of the other side?

The site is in this business to make money, and Michael has been pretty clear on how the staff feels such a policy would affect business. By the same token, I do not underestimate the number of those who dislike the Detroit sports posts. A compromise seems to me the obvious solution. Game-day threads will clean up the play-by-play stuff, and Tigers threads would represent an even smaller fraction of the OT posts than they already do.

Well, that's not going to happen. Got any other ideas...

besides just "give me my way and we'll all be happy"?

Mike, I understand both sides.

Having lived in Ann Arbor for five years I always like to hear about the Tigers, but being an "outsider" now that I live in Lincoln, Ne there is always more hunger for Michigan news. Stopping Tigers threads will only make the board slower because and not necassarily add more Michigan discussion because at times there is nothing else to talk about and yet I sometimes complain about Tigers threads

There's plenty of people on this thread that don't like the Tigers but have

responded that it's not a big deal and they just breeze right past them.

Not sure why a select few are so up in arms. It really isn't a big deal.

No, it's not. This board is set up to...

segregate different topics onto different boards. We have basketball, football, hockey, olympic sports, ticket exchange and premium. There's nothing "premium" about a tigers baseball game and nothing wrong with having a different board for it. But, like I said, it won't work because the people who want to talk about tigers would soon find out that the shiny new tigers board is dead...because nobody ever thinks to himself "I wonder what people thought about that last hit in the tigers game?"

not a big deal...we can just scroll past subjects that...

we don't care to read about. Understand your logic regarding the customer point of view - I wouldn't chase anyone off either.

Then why is Spath asking for solutions for this not big deal?

It's not just a couple people, because it becomes an issue every year for just about every game. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are annoyed by it but that know it's futile to complain. That doesn't mean they are cool with it, just that they have resigned themselves to the annoyance.

It's by far the WORST idea I've ever heard....

And, again, it's the just the "give me my way and we'll all be happy" solution.

Convert all the whiners and inconvenienced nancies into Tigers fans?

Or create a new Detroit Sports forum where we can discuss all things Lions, Tigers, and Wings. The Pistons are an abomination right now so I doubt anyone wants to chat about the awesome of Stuckey and Charlie V.

You chase MICHIGAN fans off by catering to tigers fans.

You really do. This board ceases to be a Michigan board in the spring and people just stop coming here to hear about Inge's cannon.

There seem to be just as many threads from people whining about the Tigers

threads as there are from people posting on the Tigers.

Take a cue from greenemarine and many others on this thread. Complaining about it is ridiculous.

Why don't we at least try the idea of a separate tigers board?*

d

The solution is a rule that says that subject line posts that say nothing but "Leyland is an idiot" aren't allowed. They render this place unreadable during any live sporting event. Why people around here think they add anything to the forum is beyond me.

Not a tigers fan

So I don't enjoy the posts about them. But it's not a problem because I use topic view and it's easy to skip through them.

Originally the knee jerk reaction was to just make a game topic. But I'd want that for my baseball teams. So that's not realistic. Switching to topic view would quell that problem very easily. Topics in discussion stay on top. People can post 100+ posts and it only takes up 1 line on the board.

That's easy. Clean. Sastifies all sides. And it brings the fort up to date on message board posting.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT