ADVERTISEMENT

The Backstory to my Avatar... (Harbaugh Related)

jonnyk29

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2004
Chicago, IL
So it isn't the easiest thing to make out, but my avatar is a Jim Harbaugh autograph.

My mom passed about 12 years ago (way too young thanks to cancer) and the story behind that autograph is one of my favorite stories of her.

My mom worked for a big company and got Super Bowl tickets every year (my dad was heartbroken when she eventually took a different job).

My parents go to Super Bowl XXX in 1996. During the festivities, her company had arranged for Harbaugh to make a promotional appearance and sign autographs, etc. Well, day of the promotion comes and without any heads up, Harbaugh blew it off. Just straight no show.

My mom had to scramble like mad to find a last minute replacement, whole big thing.

Fast forward a day or two and my parents are at a tickets-only Super Bowl party before the game. They are walking through the crowd and who does my mom see? Harbaugh.

My mom, who was fearless, ran up to him and attacked with an enthusiasm unknown even to the Harbaugh clan. Just started reading him the riot act.

Told him "I've been following your career since you were at Michigan because my husband is a fan, I'm from Chicago so I know you were nothing with the Bears, who do you think you are to just blow me off, etc. etc." Just showed no mercy.

Harbaugh immediately started trying to deflect and tried to blame his agent, but my mom wasn't having it, told him he controls his agent, he's a grown man, he had a responsibility, etc.

Meanwhile my dad, a life-long, die-hard UM and Bears fan, is standing a few feet away watching in horror as his wife tears apart a guy he has cheered for since 1982.

Harbaugh apologizes profusely but mom just storms off.

Well, Harbaugh had no idea my dad was affiliated with her because my dad was a few feet away and, well, my mom had his undivided attention. So after she storms off, my dad walks over to him and goes:

"Wow, crazy lady. Hey, I'm a big fan, can I have your autograph?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News