ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Sunday Scoop: Latest On Domani Jackson...

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** It's only been a few weeks since I last caught up with five-star Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei defensive back Domani Jackson, so not too much has changed. However, Jackson has continued to be impressed with Michigan's play on the field. The Wolverines beat Wisconsin on the road, which was big for him and his family to see, and also notched victories over Nebraska and Northwestern. I asked Jackson if he needed to see anything else from Michigan this fall and he told me no. Of course, wins over Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State would certainly help but Jackson knows there is stability at U-M and is impressed with the way the defense has looked under Mike Macdonald.

*** What about the relationships aspect? Not much more Michigan can do here either. U-M head coach Jim Harbaugh has been personally involved in this recruitment and is in contact with Jackson on a weekly basis. While Jackson and his family liked fellow Youngstown native Mike Zordich, Jackson told me he's really bonded with new cornerbacks coach Steve Clinkscale as of late. New Director of Player Personnel Courtney Morgan has done a fantastic job with the Jackson family, while area recruiter Shaun Nua swung by Mater Dei during the bye week. Of course, Jackson remains close to Michigan commit Will Johnson, and the two still talk daily.

*** Well, what about NIL? Jackson really hasn't spoken much about NIL in interviews or on social media. California high school football players actually have a chance to profit off of NIL right now, but Jackson has not signed any kind of endorsement deals. I straight up asked Jackson about NIL, and he basically balked, saying it's not playing much of a role in his decision and that he hasn't asked schools to really pitch him on it. He said he knows money will come when he plays well on the field. There has been some talks around the web that Jackson wants to be an actor. He's never told me that, so I asked him about that as well. He has no interest in acting and wants to go into commercial real estate after football.

*** What about USC? Jackson remains committed to USC, but the program is obviously a mess right now. When I was down on the field with him before yesterday's game, we kept tabs on the USC vs. Notre Dame game, and he expressed some excitement when the Trojans made things close. Despite the struggles, Jackson is very, very close to interim head coach Done Williams and knows a ton of guys on the team, including a few guys I covered like Chris Steele and Bru McCoy (Jackson reminds me a little of both). Yes, USC sucks, but Jackson is more interested in who the next head coach will be and whether Williams will remain on staff rather than results on the field this year, adding that he believes the Trojans have great young talent. While he's not a true SoCal kid, he's grown up there and goes to a high school that is very USC friendly. Passing up USC would be tough on him personally.

*** So what's next? Jackson is slated to make a visit to Alabama on Nov. 6. Right now, I'm not too concerned about the Crimson Tide, but we'll see if the visit changes things. Bama is Bama, so it could quickly ascend in this recruitment. Jackson is also a former teammate of starting quarterback Bryce Young. Jackson wants to return to Michigan for the game against Ohio State, but it's unlikely as Mater Dei will likely be playing for a championship. While Jackson is injured, he is continuing to support his teammates. Jackson likely won't put an end to his recruitment until December or early January.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News