ADVERTISEMENT

State looks formidable

detroitjohn

All-American
Dec 20, 2001
West Detroit
I give MD credit, he's developed a very diversified offense, I'm excited to see how our team develops and prepares to take on this challenge, they have a lot of tools on both sides of the ball to utilize. I am glad the B10 gave us a break and let us play them at home finally, that will be a help. I expect war.

It should be an interesting game. They have a better DL than secondary. I thought they could have been exploited more against Oregon. Their defense is better suited for a team like UM.

I guess I'm missing something. Read a few message boards, and lots of the same comments.
I thought Oregon's qb had a decent game. He bought himself a ton of time, but still had to wait and wait to find a guy. That's a plus for the secondary. I thought the pressure was missing too often, and he made a lot of guys miss when there was pressure. I thought the secondary played well. The short pass with blocking wr's was effective, however. Too many secondary missed tackles as well.
I imagine there will be more blitzing in the future.
A stationary qb will have issues vs MSU's D.

A stationary QB on a well coached offense will screen them to death to stop all the blitzing. MSU still having issues against the run.
I am not sure why you think this but MSU is not having issues against the run so far.

Season
Attempts: 66
Yards: 141
Avg: 2.1

Oregon
Attempts: 43
Yards: 123
Avg: 2.9

WMU
Attempts: 23
Yards: 18
Avg: 0.8

Michigan State will be fine - they looked great on offense, but then again Oregon gave up 42 points at home to Eastern Washington. It's too soon to make declarations of any sort after just 2 games...the Spartans have a relatively easy next 4 games until they come to Michigan which is when we will know more about them. As of right now, Michigan State looks really well balanced and will give us problems but that is why the game is played.

I give MD credit, he's developed a very diversified offense, I'm excited to see how our team develops and prepares to take on this challenge, they have a lot of tools on both sides of the ball to utilize. I am glad the B10 gave us a break and let us play them at home finally, that will be a help. I expect war.
Spartans are good, no doubt about that, but they have some weaknesses and are definitely beatable by a few teams other than Ohio State.

Let's not try to bring facts into a post like this. Only emotion, opinion and wishful thinking apply hear. Oregon is very good. That will prove itself out. MSU is likely better defensively this year than last year. Linebackers improved immensely week one to week two and the secondary is just fine.

Let's not try to bring facts into a post like this. Only emotion, opinion and wishful thinking apply hear. Oregon is very good. That will prove itself out. MSU is likely better defensively this year than last year. Linebackers improved immensely week one to week two and the secondary is just fine.
That secondary got torched by WMU and if not for two easy TD drops by WMU receivers it would have been worse.

Sorry guys but this Oregon team is no where near the Ducks of last year or years past. MSU is missing Narduzzi no matter what is said.
Not even close to true but it's just fine that you think that. Don't let facts get in the way. The only time any of this drivel will matter on a stat sheet is on October 17th when the final second ticks off the clock. UM beating a virtual high school team with a wind sock for a coach doesn't say anything about UM. You're starving, I get it.

Reactions: stumper64
Okay, so Gary Anderson suddenly cannot coach? Crap, when did that happen?
Not sure when it happened, maybe after he got beat like a drum by OSU 59-0 in the BTCG but it's pretty clear. Did he look like he was getting after it yesterday?

Not sure when it happened, maybe after he got beat like a drum by OSU 59-0 in the BTCG but it's pretty clear. Did he look like he was getting after it yesterday?
Coach is leaving a school and team plays like it and gets bitch slapped by best team in college football=cannot coach or wind sock, got it!

too many Pac 12 South Division challenges for Oregon this year (do they have a backup QB?). USC is now the favorite, UCLA will be revealed vs. BYU this Saturday. And there's the 2 arizona schools and who knows about Utah.

Can't see any North school challenging this season.

MSU is a 28 point favorite over Air Force this week. There is no way Sparty is going to win that game by 4 touchdowns. IMHO, MSU will have to work hard just to win that game. AFA has an explosive offense; they spread the field, and might do it better than Oregon did. Falcons will give Spartans all they can handle this Saturday.

MSU is a 28 point favorite over Air Force this week. There is no way Sparty is going to win that game by 4 touchdowns. IMHO, MSU will have to work hard just to win that game. AFA has an explosive offense; they spread the field, and might do it better than Oregon did. Falcons will give Spartans all they can handle this Saturday.

An ignorant post^^^^. Air Force is one dimensional team, they average 400 YPG rushing and 70 YPG passing this year. They won't be capable of running on MSU's D-Line, they can't exploit MSU's problems in the secondary, and they aren't going to shutdown MSU's offense.

MSU will be up 4 TDs by halftime.

An ignorant post^^^^. Air Force is one dimensional team, they average 400 YPG rushing and 70 YPG passing this year. They won't be capable of running on MSU's D-Line, they can't exploit MSU's problems in the secondary, and they aren't going to shutdown MSU's offense.

MSU will be up 4 TDs by halftime.
Wanna bet?

Spartans are good, no doubt about that, but they have some weaknesses and are definitely beatable by a few teams other than Ohio State.
Well then you should clean up better against MSU all year long. My guess is other than the OSU game, MSU will be 10+ point favorites in every game left on the schedule. Easy money.

Well then you should clean up better against MSU all year long. My guess is other than the OSU game, MSU will be 10+ point favorites in every game left on the schedule. Easy money.

That won't work. If you bet a lot of games you'll go .500 against the spread and and up losing a little because of the house cut. If your not a professional gambler the key is to pick a couple games each year where you have more knowledge about the teams than the casual fan, and have a reason to believe the line is off. You'll still lose about a third of the time, but come out ahead a couple hundred by the end of the year.

I made $200 each of the last two years on the MSU-Michigan football games.

Air Force is a one trick pony and only threw seven passes on Saturday. The coaches at MSU are pretty bright and should have the team prepared. The offensive and defensive lines at AF are undersized partly because of the physical training requirements at the academies. I think they will wear down against the larger MSU lines. The WR's speed at MSU will also be a factor the AF will have some trouble. I do not know about the spread, because Coach Dantonio usually does not pile it on like they do in the SEC against lesser teams. I am always careful of large spots with MSU because of that. They only time I saw that not happen was last year as a payback for the spike incident, they scored the last TD when they would usually take a knee.

too many Pac 12 South Division challenges for Oregon this year (do they have a backup QB?). USC is now the favorite, UCLA will be revealed vs. BYU this Saturday. And there's the 2 arizona schools and who knows about Utah.

Can't see any North school challenging this season.

Oregon doesnt play UCLA and they get USC at home.

Oregon will be big favorites in all their remaining games.

Their toughest road game left is at Arizona State...who has looked like complete ass two weeks in a row.

Oregon will probably lose one more game, win the PAC12 North, and have a good shot at winning their conference.

Don't forget about Arizona - Rich Rod's team can score with the best of them

Air Force spreads the field better than Oregon? :rolleyes:

Don't forget about Arizona - Rich Rod's team can score with the best of them

Oregon doesn't play Arizona or UCLA.

Their 3 crossover games with the South are USC at home, at ASU, and at Colorado.

Oregon will probably be double digit favorites in all their games except USC.

As a Michigan fan I would love nothing more then to see us do well and see MSU and OSU not. However, having said that I unfortunately don't agree with the statements about how MSU's defense is not that good, etc. Bottom line is that Dantonio has created a program over the past 5 years that is not going to get bad or worse anytime soon, especially now that they are getting talent and they are developing a pipeline of talent. They remind me of the Michigan teams from the 90s when we just demolished teams on both sides of the ball. You can't compare defenses and offenses from years past but watching the Oregon game, they are the most well balanced team in the BIG this year. The only way I see them taking a step back is if their QB is pretty bad. I think the next few years should be interesting. I don't see MSU taking a step back anytime soon, personally (and they have a very very easy schedule rest of the way this year). I expect Urban and OSU to continue to be very formidable and I expect Michigan to be significantly better then they have been in the past 7 years though it will take us probably until 2017 to finally get there once players have gone through JH's system. Will be fun.

As a Michigan fan I would love nothing more then to see us do well and see MSU and OSU not. However, having said that I unfortunately don't agree with the statements about how MSU's defense is not that good, etc. Bottom line is that Dantonio has created a program over the past 5 years that is not going to get bad or worse anytime soon, especially now that they are getting talent and they are developing a pipeline of talent. They remind me of the Michigan teams from the 90s when we just demolished teams on both sides of the ball. You can't compare defenses and offenses from years past but watching the Oregon game, they are the most well balanced team in the BIG this year. The only way I see them taking a step back is if their QB is pretty bad. I think the next few years should be interesting. I don't see MSU taking a step back anytime soon, personally (and they have a very very easy schedule rest of the way this year). I expect Urban and OSU to continue to be very formidable and I expect Michigan to be significantly better then they have been in the past 7 years though it will take us probably until 2017 to finally get there once players have gone through JH's system. Will be fun.
Solid post.

As for MSU's easy schedule, well, I thought this past weeks college schedule was weak other than the MSU game and perhaps one or two more. All that happened was a lot really good, tight games. Hell, even the OSU game was entertaining for 3 quarters (17-0 into the 4th quarter). Against an undersized Hawaii D, Elliott was forced to carry the ball 27 times for just 101 yards. Does OSU NOT have another RB? And MAN, did he take some shots. Point being, what looks easy on paper, doesn't always work out that way.

Well, OSU will be fine - they have so much speed and talent that once all is said and done - they will look pretty incredible. As for State - the biggest challenge for you guys is keeping Cook healthy - if Cook goes down with an injury you will take a massive hit this year...your backup might be great but I look at Cook's numbers in the past 2 years and the kid has been absolutely solid - probably best pro-prospect out of MSU in years. So, sometimes you are one injury away from really spiraling - now OSU does not have that problem since they have so much depth at every level. I think the biggest difference this year between MSU and OSU is depth - OSU has tons, MSU not so much especially at skill positions - now that will likely change for MSU over the coming years.

What will be interesting is to see how Dantonio handles a UM team that matches his team punch for punch and where he starts dropping games to UM (assuming UM makes the anticipated steps of growth). He seems okay with getting kicked around by OSU but I don't think he'll be as sanguine about a significant rise in UM's fortune (i.e. he seems very thinned skinned).

Looking at the OVERALL strength of college football in ONLY week 2, it looks right now that OSU/MSU are the top 2 teams. No one is even close to the Buckeyes and that includes Alabama. As for the former Wisky coach Bieliema; he may be looking for a new job next year after Arkansas loses to Toledo. The SEC in general looks to be really down this year. The surprise team at this point is Georgia Tech.

We will know a lot about GTech this week when they play ND - be it a depleted ND team but yes they look pretty good right now.

Well, OSU will be fine - they have so much speed and talent that once all is said and done - they will look pretty incredible. As for State - the biggest challenge for you guys is keeping Cook healthy - if Cook goes down with an injury you will take a massive hit this year...your backup might be great but I look at Cook's numbers in the past 2 years and the kid has been absolutely solid - probably best pro-prospect out of MSU in years. So, sometimes you are one injury away from really spiraling - now OSU does not have that problem since they have so much depth at every level. I think the biggest difference this year between MSU and OSU is depth - OSU has tons, MSU not so much especially at skill positions - now that will likely change for MSU over the coming years.
As for OSU, we have to assume they have depth at RB. In the Hawaii game, Elliott had almost all of the RB carries (27 to be exact). The QB's and Miller had a combined 16 carries. The back up RB's only had 4. If Elliott goes down (and man, I was surprised he got up from some of the hits Hawaii laid on him), we'll see a heavy does of Jones, Barrett and Miller running the ball.

We will know a lot about GTech this week when they play ND - be it a depleted ND team but yes they look pretty good right now.

Georgia Tech's Offense is awesome and now he is throwing more out of the flexbone which makes it even more difficult to defend. They also cut block at all three levels. I am personally going to the Clemson/Georgia Tech game on the 10th. Can't wait.

Sorry guys but this Oregon team is no where near the Ducks of last year or years past. MSU is missing Narduzzi no matter what is said.

I would totally agree, as an MSU guy, that the Spartans do miss Narduzzi. I think our D-backs are poorer tacklers than years past and not as physical. Our LB'ers are equal to if not better than recent ones....but the D line is waaaaay better than the last few years. Lawrence Thomas and Malik McDowell own the inside. We've relied more on edge rushing in the past, our two DT's get a great, great push. It will be very hard to run on MSU. That is one area where I think/hope Ohio State will feel the pain. Michigan will have a lot...a lot of trouble pushing MSU's D-line around.

Also, Oregon was not nearly as good as last year. I highly doubt Adams plays in the NFL. He was not 1/2 as accurate as Marriota and only slightly comparable in the mobility department. They did not appear anywhere near as fast as last year either. I will say the MSU D laid some Denard Robinson music on him. He kept getting up, but they beat him up pretty bad I thought. That may have had a lot to do with his inaccuracy late in the game.

MSU's O and D lines are formidable. LJ Scott is the next "big thing" in the RB department. That kid is goooood. Just wait and see.

I love MSU but I've never thought of Connor Cook as being a top NFL draft pick. He does stand in the pocket and has pretty good presence under the rush, but in the NFL I don't see him being anywhere near as accurate with his arm. I think Kirk Cousins was better.

Spartans should not be threatened until the visit to Ann Arbor. I think that will be a much closer, tougher game than many think. Michigan's defense is legitimate. Turnovers IMHO will decide that game. If Cook is off UM can win. UM will want that game to be low scoring. No way they score 30 vs. MSU...but they can get to 20-24 and if MSU O sputters I could see UM prevailing 23-20...something like that. But if MSU scores early and gets ahead and forces UM to go to the air a lot early it could be a looong day for the AA faithful.

My hope is OSU romps across the landscape and it's #1 vs. #2 in Columbus on Nov. 21. Maybe...just maybe....OSU feels just a little invincible and the Spartan win a shootout 38-35.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT