ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice thougths

RC Blue

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 21, 2001
I do not post much--so please keep in mind these are just my "opinions".

1) First a comment on spring practices itself in terms of comparison with past regimes. Spring practices now are important, they are exactly what coaches claim they are---a chance for players to compete. In the past, even though at times coaches said all the right things---in reality--there were in most cases a "class system" in which returning experienced players were considered "higher" up on depth charts no matter how productive they had been in off-season workouts. Practices were more to put in "systems" and even in some cases--"just get through 15 practices without major injuries". Now in must be noted that over the past decade or so----our depth --especially on the OL and DL were so thin that "scrimmages" were rare---and even when they did scrimmage---they were very controlled.
All of this has changed under JH----practices mean something---and those players who believe they are "entitled" quickly realize those days are over.

2) QB play. (again opinion alert)---but publically everyone is saying all the proper things. Despite performance by Speight---he is the #1 QB. But his performance at spring game DID matter and the gap or his so called "rope" he earned from previous yr has both shrunk and tightened. Reality is---when you look at UM football progress in the past 2 years---almost every position group has shown some very nice progress----except QB play. Our depth and talent level has reached a point where UM is now competitive with almost any program in the country-----as long as UM gets quality QB play. A year ago---our defense was so good that it frequently put the offense in some very advantageous situations----this year---we need our offense to "catch up" with the level of our defense. Only way for that to happen---is QB play. Speight now has some pressure on him---not only from Peters---but also from O'Korn----who because of new offensive approach---could become a factor.

3) A comment on S&C program and player development. There has been a good deal of discussion on the boards in the past about our "lack of S&C of lack of player development". My opinion is all of our S&C coaches have been top notch including Gittleson and Barwis. The difference is now we have depth, we have competition---and it is amazing how quickly players will develop when they know if they work hard they have a chance to play----but probably more important---that if they do not work hard----they probably are not going to play.

4) Not sure who is going to be our opening day starters on the OL----but if you are going to play our best 5 OL's then Kugler starts as of today. He not only has been on of top 5 OL's this spring---he has been one of our top 3. And someone who nobody talks about but I think had a great spring is Stephen Spanellis. Not saying he is going to start---but he is one of those players who "plays through the whistle---and sometimes beyond". He played primarily RG on the 2nd team---and Owenu still needs some continued work on his weight and quickness. Spanellis is one of those players who you are very happy to have on the roster.

5) I expect our running game to be better. Various reasons for this---I will only comment on the main one and that is the changes in offensive schemes. A year ago, UM went with a scheme of power running game along with a "play-action" passing game. The main drawback to this approach is that opponents were able to consistently put at least 7 and sometimes 8 men in the box. Um for some reason rarely used any sort of "quick" passing game, decreased substantially the amount of quick WR passes or screens---did not use the RB's in passing game etc. Couple this with the struggles of our OL's to maintain blocks---(remember under this system OL's had to pass protect for extended period of time)---and our lack of consistent QB play our WR play--(Chesson for ex.)---you have a recipe for average offensive production.

Under new system---much more "quick" passing game---more TE splits, more use of RB in passing game---more dependence of WR getting YAC's---etc. The result of this is opponents are going to have to think about how many people they put in box which open up running lanes. My prediction at least early in year is opponents will attack UM defensively the same way as a year ago until our QB's can prove they can be productive---(see point #2)---after which they will have to make adjustments----thus our running game improves.

6) Pep vs Fisch. This has been a topic of conversation. Both are very good coaches---very different in terms of teaching techniques and communication. Fisch loved the play action passing game. he loved to teach, correct mistakes---but did most of this via the film room. Pep when a player makes a mistakes---immediately runs the drill or play again---and he will continue to run that drill or play until he does it properly. And Pep's patience run thinner as the number of repeats continue. I also think Pep is future HC somewhere---where I just do not see Fisch as the HC type.

Just some thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News