ADVERTISEMENT

Sort of O.T. but not really...College football game day

911Blue

Heisman
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Let me preface this by saying I played college football for a short time when they had freshman football (MAC but not BGSU), could not play varsity your first year (anyone know the time frame?). On one of Facebook's U of M football forums there was a topic where a member stated that he went to last weeks football game and took 19 family members and said the cost was well into four figures, He also said he had been going to games since 1973. His opinion (mine also) was that college football, especially at U of M was turning into a circus atmosphere. Lights, scoreboard, P.T; Barnum at it's best. 5 minute breaks for commercials, money, money and more money. Not unusual to have a 3 1/2 hour game anymore.

It got me thinking that he wasn't far off base IMO, yes I'm a Boomer so there's that. My high school currently has a team that is undefeated and hasn't been scored upon in the first half and has had a running clock in the second half of every game, around 200/14 point differential and I went last week and watched them play. What a different experience in going to a high school game vs a UM game. If you love the game the way I do, just pure football there's no comparison. Would NIL even be a thing without the money grab? I get the supply and demand thing, if you build it the will come so why not make them pay. I'm all for the kids singing Mr. Brightside and all but has the marketing gone a bit far? Okay my rant is done and I won't argue with anyone than has a apposite opinion but you can't change mine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News