ADVERTISEMENT

Something fishy IF Wheatley is leaving. Maybe he's pissed

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
Drevno and brown got extensions and raises and he didn't? Maybe being pushed out as I thought I read his contract expired?

Seems a shame either way.

Yeah, I don't get it. Why leave here for a bottom feeder NFL team? Is the money going to be that much better? Not to mention your kid plays here. I can't say I agreed with Wheatley's distribution of RB carries, and he will probably be missed more as a recruiter than a coach.

Only coaches I don't want gone are brown and harbaugh

If your name isn't list on that you can be replaced. Unless your a top notch recruiter.

Drevno and brown got extensions and raises and he didn't? Maybe being pushed out as I thought I read his contract expired?

He was a position coach - not an oc/dc.

I doubt he was pushed out. He has a long history of working with Doug Marrone - maybe that's where he's most comfortable.

In any event, good luck coach Wheatley.

Read where his contract was going up from $335K to $360K...he served with Marrone at Buffalo as a RB coach and now he heads back to the NFL w/ Jacksonville. Depends on your "poison"...do you stay at Michigan and wait for your turn to become a HC or Co-ordinator, dealing with being on the road recruiting a bunch of drama queens that you may have coach for 4/5 years or go to the NFL and deal with a bunch of prima donnas but for the most part, be guaranteed a NFL job for life...once you make it in the League, it's being recycled for the rest of your NFL days from 1 team or another.

I'd guess he's going to make more money, Jacksonville is a nice city and he seems like a laid-back type of guy to me.

Coaching staffs under Harbaugh are going to have a much higher turnover than staffs under a guy like Hoke. The biggest and most obvious reason is the coaches are actually desirable.

Wheatley coached with Marrone at Buffalo and he enjoyed being an NFL coach. I'm not worried about it, Harbaugh will find someone new.

I don' disagree with anyone's assessment. I believe another thought to consider is meritocracy. I would not be surprised if Wheatley was pushed out, although many other options would be believable. I don't think Woodson, Howard, or Brady's job would be safe if any of those three coached for Harbaugh unless they were killing it. I believe in a championship program that is the way it needs to be.

Just look at the turnover rate on Sabans coaching staff. It's constantly changing. Great head coaches are going to have great assistants and coordinators that will be desired by lesser teams at a higher up position.

There are high turnover rates in Saban's and Meyer's staffs. That's the cost of a big league coach who hires talent instead of stability like Hoke and Carr. I think Wheatley is looking to prime for a head-coaching job above all.

However I do think he's been a bit shortsighted by leaving Michigan so quickly, especially when his son is playing for him. That's got to be worth something in the big picture. He might regret missing out on those couple years with his Ty Jr at his side later on.

I don't blame Wheatley. He is likely capped at Michigan and would not have become an OC anytime soon. He moves to the NFL for the same position but probably has to work 1/2 the hours. Unlike college you don't recruit kids in the NFL. In college and especially under JH I imagine you work and recruit about 90 hours a week every single week and that can wear out on people so don't blame him. Position coaching roles in the NFL are actually pretty decent gigs and Wheatley will always be able to land some place in college at any point down the road if he wants. Hope he does well.

With the type of coaches JH brings, we will be fine. Kids like to talk to players that either coached or played in the NFL and that pedigree is what helps them with recruiting. His staff is full of coaches like that and with the hiring of Pep, that will only help him. Would not surprise me if we got a home run RB coach hire.

Haven't head anything official but I know Sam Webb mentioned he thought Mike Hart could be a good fit, despite the fact he made his comment about JH way back when.

Haven't head anything official but I know Sam Webb mentioned he thought Mike Hart could be a good fit, despite the fact he made his comment about JH way back when.
Yeah, I'm not sure Hart would even want to be a part of Harbaugh's staff. I can see Jim being over it. Mike?
Not so much.

The sucky part about losing him is how great of a recruiter he was. Has anyone been rumored yet for the new rb coach position?
Close your eyes and picture UM's new 5'6" running back coach running into Mike Dantonio on the recruiting the trail, coming up and bear hugging old Mike, smiling and saying, "Bro, how you been?"

I think Hart should get a legimitate shot at the position imho

Close your eyes and picture UM's new 5'6" running back coach running into Mike Dantonio on the recruiting the trail, coming up and bear hugging old Mike, smiling and saying, "Bro, how you been?"

I think Hart should get a legimitate shot at the position imho

"Hey there Little Uncle Mark"..................

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT