ADVERTISEMENT

Some Michigan and college football thoughts

MiamiWolv

All-League
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2006
1. I was pretty confident that we'd win Saturday based on what Wisconsin had shown the first three games on offense. With that said, I'm impressed with our OL because Wisconsin arguably has the best front 7 that we will face all season (unless we are fortunate to face Iowa in the B1G title game). Running for 3 yards a carry may not seem like much, but we kept the defense honest, and running for 120 or so yards on a team that gave up 26 coming in is solid. If UM's identity is to be a power running/physical team, then you can't abandon that approach because the other team is good at stopping it. We were creative in play calling Saturday but we still ran the ball the majority of the time which is a sign that Michigan is committed to this approach.

2. After five games, this team's identity has evolved. Through three games, there was some thought that we had an elite running game. I think we have a B+ running game, but this team's identity is we play physical, are mentally tough (the way we came out in the second half was super impressive after the coaches' brain fart put Wisconsin back in the game) and we don't beat ourselves. That last part is key. We saw in 2019 a Michigan team that was very talented but consistently shot itself in the foot (who can remember all the turnovers against MTSU and Army). If you're sloppy, chances are you will be sloppy in the big games too -- and we saw that in 2019 when Michigan made a series of mental errors costing themselves any chance to stay in the OSU game. If we continue to play clean ball, we may not win every game, but we will make other teams earn it.

3. Saturday is the toughest game remaining until we play at Penn State. Sorry, I watched Nebraska play MSU. Nebraska wins that game 70% of the time on a neutral field. And regardless of what the morons in East Lansing think, Spartan Stadium is not one of the most intimidating, loudest stadiums in the B1G. Memorial Stadium, on the other hand, is electric. That crowd will be jazzed as Saturday is their moment to show they are on the way back. Moreover, the Nebraska defense is playing very well and we struggled with a mobile quarterback against Rutgers. The timing of this game also isn't ideal, coming off such an emotional win. If Michigan wins Saturday, it will cement itself as a B1G contender.

4. At this point, the floor is clearly 8-4. Michigan has zero business losing to NW, IU or MD. And the odds that we lose the other four is probably 10%, so you have to feel good about 9-3. But I think the realistic goal has to be a NY6 bowl (and win). 10-2 probably gets us there.

5. Any notion that ESPN is anything more than a SEC propaganda network was shattered by its College Gameday this week. Penn State and Iowa features an unbeaten, top 5 matchup. I would bet that in the history of Gameday when there is a top five matchup, they have gone 100% of the time. But where are they going? Texas-OU to watch a 1 loss Texas team play an underwhelming OU team. It's pretty clear that ESPN is taking its marching orders from Greg Sankey at this point.

6. We all should be big Hawkeye fans this weekend. If Iowa wins and then OSU beats PSU, that game in State College would not necessarily be a must win for our B1G title hopes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News