ADVERTISEMENT

Some final thoughts on this season and some quick thoughts on next

brandonmcnally12

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2021
I'll start with the GA game...

What a mess, right from the coin toss. This has to be one of the most overcoached pieces of the game. In both semifinal games, the team that lost the game won the coin toss. Not that tossing a coin is significant by itself but both teams who did get the ball went on tone setting TD drives that immediately had the underdog team playing from behind and right into the SEC team's hands. Who cares if you get the ball at halftime when you're down big? Just a thought.

Mich didn't play their best game. I also don't think it would've mattered. Mich linemen were being knocked on their a$$es all night. That makes it hard to do anything. Good decision to bring in a more mobile QB at halftime because the o-line couldn't pass protect. Film study of that game would be pretty ugly.

All that said, they know what it takes now. It doesn't get any easier after the B1G Championship.

For the season...

What a great year. For a team that was supposed to go 7-5 or 8-4 and finish third in their division, winning the B1G and beating OSU was a huge accomplishment. That team has an awful lot to be proud of.

JJ and Cade QB offseason QB battle should be legit. I think JJ gets the job if he develops Cade's leadership and game management. His talent is too much to ignore and Cade's ceiling may be the B1G Championship without exceptional line play.

Mich needs a WR to step into WR2 role opposite Bell. This was a good team but to compete at the national level, you gotta have consistent playmakers outside. This was the first game I thought they really missed Bell.

Corum has to take the next step. He's fast and shifty with good vision but too many times he couldn't break a tackle where someone was just able to grab his jersey, whether a d-lineman or backer. If he gets a little power, he's going to be a monster. That said...

Edwards is going to be a freak. He already has the blend of size, speed and power coupled with pass catching ability. Him and Corum on the field at the same time should cause D coordinators fits.

Defense is going to have to reload. Now that they have a year in the new system, I would hope some of the missed assignments go away with another off season. Looking for McGregor to take a big step.

It will be interesting to see what Dax does but I'm excited about the depth at DB all over. Hawkins has been a mainstay in the secondary and a solid player but they could use a true centerfielder. Safeties this season dropped way too many INTs. Those are huge plays and when opportunities come along, they have to take advantage. Hopefully, creating turnovers becomes a bigger emphasis.

Big picture...

Not sure what the mods think but from a talent perspective, I think Mich will be better on paper next season, likely a pre-season AP top-5. There's a lot to like about the future of Mich football. Hopefully, they can keep the nucleus of players and coaches to make another run. Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News