ADVERTISEMENT

So should Penn St. stay in or leave the B10?

12375CAT

Senior
Feb 15, 2012
1eddc11e-1c62-4e75-b831-a7ac3e919bd7_zpsc22350bd.jpg

This post was edited on 2/14 5:37 PM by 12375CAT

in reality what have they contributed to the league? they were the happiest fans in america the first few years they where in the big ten because they won. 9 straight losses spread over a 13 year period to michigan was just too much.

of coarse all those losses plus all the conference championships they were screwed out of was to much to handle. never really cared for them to be honest. i dont think i would even notice if they were gone,,, except for the lack of noise from all the crying being gone.

I'm out of the loop? What's the story? Big 12 making a run at them? I guess it makes sense considering WV is now in there. I think Penn St wouId get torched in the Big12. Too many quality QBs and coaches in that league. Similar to Big 10 in that regard. Seems a bit odd that any team wouId leave the Big 10 considering the kind of money this league brings to the table compared to Big 12, which nearly disbanded a few years ago until TCU and WV bailed them out.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Anyone who thinks "in reality, what have they contributed to the league"

is just trolling.

Penn State definitely contributes, in terms of $$$ for the TV contracts, opening up the B1G to the Northeast markets, being a large research university that is academically on par with the vast majority in the conference, being highly competitive in the B1G's premiere sport (football), and for those that care about this sort of thing, being consistently either #1 or #2 (generally exchanging positions with Michigan) in the conference in the Director's Cup Standings.

This post was edited on 2/14 10:25 PM by michnittlion

Re: Anyone who thinks "in reality, what have they contributed to the league"

no trolling. plus wouldnt that be done on their site? overall im just saying i dont know if what they contribute overall is worth what you have to put up with. now you have two other teams with the east coast presense , so they dont even have that going for them like they did before.

Well, what's your position?

Yes or no --- has Penn State been a net positive to the B1G (in terms of its overall contribution) in its 23 years in the conference?

The answer, IMO, is an absolute unqualified "yes." Also --- vice versa holds true --- the B1G has been a net positive to PSU.

This post was edited on 2/14 10:27 PM by michnittlion

Re: Well, what's your position?

funny thing about them is it is really a great football rivalry. ive seen every mich vs psu game and alot of those were great games. but they just have a very weird fan base and a strange vibe overall. money wise of course there is a impact. but their attitude seems to be ,, you need us we dont need you.

I've always felt PSU was a great fit for the Big Ten, due to their academics,geopraphic fit and sports. The PSU fanbase is a little crazy at times when they believe there is a conference conspiracty against them...that has gotten real old. Other than that I think they fit better in the Big Ten then any other conference.

I would be okay with them leaving since they seem to think they have some kind of "superior culture" which fits better in the Northeastern/Mid Atlantic states. I have no idea why they think we are inferior culturally. But I do find it kind of ironic, given the Sandusky situation.

Yes, the PSU fan base is very odd - they claim that B1G is full of hicks

while their own campus is located in a two-horse town in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania.
roll.r191677.gif

Re: Yes, the PSU fan base is very odd - they claim that B1G is full of hicks

The B1G and PSU are a good match.

Which university would replace them that would provide the athletics and academics that are offered by PSU?

It would be interesting if the fan base could vote on the issue. Then we would find out if those saying they want out are the loud minority, if they all really want to leave the Big, or if it is just talk but when push comes to shove it is all just talk.

I would agree about polling the fanbase. Still not sure where this is coming from? The Big 10 penalties leveraged against the university for Sandusky? PSU embarrassed the entire conference with that episode so not sure why that would be taken harshly. I think PSU fits well and wouId hate to see them leave the conference. They are one of the more competitive football programs in the conference and have solid academic performance overall. They have rebounded from the most horrific incident in the history of college sports and are quickly coming out of it with strength. I can't think of another university that could replace PSU

AGP. How about a conference rule where any school with a head

coach who knowingly lets a ped run wild and looks the other way is automatically booted from the conference?

This post was edited on 2/18 10:20 PM by ChicagoBlueFan

Penn State is a good fit for the BIG 10, far better than Rutgers and Maryland. A more interesting question: How long with Northwestern stay in the Big 10. It's the smallest school in the league; the only private institution; academically stronger than just about every other school. They have difficulty competing across the board against the larger schools. They have not been to an NCAA basketball tournament in 50 or more years. You could say NW does not belong in the Big 10. The problem is: where would they go?

The greatest majority of Nittany aLion fans like the Big 10. And remember, there are now 2 decades of PSU alums that have only known the Big 10. The whiners are quite vocal, but certainly not a high percentage. PSU has done fine in Big 10 sports...wrestling, volley ball, soccer, ice hockey just started, gymnastics, fencing, quite a few sports. And not bad in football; certainly more entertaining usually than over half the Big 10 teams. I've been to every PSU game at Ann Arbor since joining the Big 10. Was the easiest away trip for me to attend. Flight to Detroit is quick from Philly. It is nice to now have closer away games within 2 hour drive for me, Rutgers and Maryland. Even men's basketball is picking up in recruiting. I think football will be pretty competitive in 2016. 2015 won't be a bad team. Maybe 9-3 or such. Probably at 85%+ strength now. 100% in 2016.

Originally posted by 12375CAT:
1eddc11e-1c62-4e75-b831-a7ac3e919bd7_zpsc22350bd.jpg

This post was edited on 2/14 5:37 PM by 12375CAT

They are what, the 5th or 6th best program since joining in 1993? Wisky, Mich St, Ohio State, Michigan, Neb . Are they any better than Iowa? Not sure. Then they have IMO the worst sports scandal in mankind history while as a member. Idk, don't really want them in the b10.

Illinois and Northwestern don't bring much to the table. Watching an Illinois home football game on TV with no fans in the stands doesn't really help the national reputation of the Big 10. But I have no problem with them staying in the Big 10. Those who say they don't want PSU in the Big 10 are the same type of vocal minority PSU fans who whine about the Big 10. Similar character on both sides.

The pedsters are a bunch of whiny bitches. This wouldn't be brought up at all if they were dominating the conference like they all thought was their manifest destiny. They had zero doubts that they would come in here and roll the conference every year, that games with them would make Ohio State-Michigan an afterthought, that JoePed would coach circles around the rest of the league, get to keep his handpicked refs and run the league office instead of crapping his pants figuratively and literally. Because none of that happened, they want to take their ball and leave for some imagined promised land in a future ACC North where they can steamroll patsies ever week just like the good old days.

Would anyone miss the whiny lions? In reality, they make to much money to leave on their own and I can't see the powers to be kicking their asses out.

PSU men's ice hockey beat Minnesota yesterday. That may be considered a fairly decent win.

I would keep PSU. They are good for the Big Ten both academically and athletically. I would'be in favor of replacing Northwestern with UConn.
You could then move Indiana to the Big Ten West and replace them with UConn.
Northwestern could join conf USA or Big 12

This post was edited on 2/23 9:03 PM by BlueCoral

2 people in this thread for getting rid of NW. That makes no sense to me

No offense to either of the posters advocating for Northwestern to be out. But Northwestern is one of the best fits in the Big Ten IMO:

(1) Located in the B1G's "central city" of Chicago,

(2) Great and fun road-trip for visiting fans.

(3) Top-notch academically,

(4) They've been pretty darn good at football of late. They're not the Mildcats of the 1970s. Their 3 B1G titles in football since 1993 is just the same as Penn State. Absolutely no shame for NW in that number (for PSU either).

The ? is based on the dumb azzz on the psu board that holler about being in the Big 10. Either shut up or give them their wish. You hear any other fan base asking to get out of the conf?

AGP. Then again, what other fan base thinks there is a

"conspiracy" against their school? GKI is a strange bunch.

Originally posted by Dunc1:
The greatest majority of Nittany aLion fans like the Big 10. And remember, there are now 2 decades of PSU alums that have only known the Big 10. The whiners are quite vocal, but certainly not a high percentage. PSU has done fine in Big 10 sports...wrestling, volley ball, soccer, ice hockey just started, gymnastics, fencing, quite a few sports. And not bad in football; certainly more entertaining usually than over half the Big 10 teams. I've been to every PSU game at Ann Arbor since joining the Big 10. Was the easiest away trip for me to attend. Flight to Detroit is quick from Philly. It is nice to now have closer away games within 2 hour drive for me, Rutgers and Maryland. Even men's basketball is picking up in recruiting. I think football will be pretty competitive in 2016. 2015 won't be a bad team. Maybe 9-3 or such. Probably at 85%+ strength now. 100% in 2016.
Yet the rest of you have let them be the voice of Penn St.

I know there are good folks from PSU. I used to work at a company owned by a PSU grad. Yet that isn't the type of person being heard from.....the JoeBots have been running amuck, and in turn they are making you all look like fools in the process.

Since Nov 2011, BWI has become required reading. That train wreck is the epitome of "I cant look away" material.

They constantly talk about how the B1G has done nothing for PSU, and yet research at Penn St has ramped up since joining the conference.

They talk about "they are jealous of us", and yet Michigan alone has a better FB tradition, more wins, Carr owned Paterno, etc, but most of all, it is a hell of a lot higher ranked school than PSU. It has more money as well. We aren't the only ones either.....there are other B1G schools with better academics and/or FB tradition besides.

Joe knew. Period & end of discussion. When they bring him up, the "good" PSU fans should be shouting down the cult with us. Joe did a lot of good in his life, but when it mattered most, he didn't show "success with honor" by seeing the matter to completion. The fact that the folks on BWI think his name should go back on the conference trophy shows how out of touch they are.

Originally posted by aged_wolverine:

I know there are good folks from PSU. I used to work at a company owned by a PSU grad. Yet that isn't the type of person being heard from.....the JoeBots have been running amuck, and in turn they are making you all look like fools in the process.

Since Nov 2011, BWI has become required reading. That train wreck is the epitome of "I cant look away" material.

They constantly talk about how the B1G has done nothing for PSU, and yet research at Penn St has ramped up since joining the conference.

They talk about "they are jealous of us", and yet Michigan alone has a better FB tradition, more wins, Carr owned Paterno, etc, but most of all, it is a hell of a lot higher ranked school than PSU. It has more money as well. We aren't the only ones either.....there are other B1G schools with better academics and/or FB tradition besides.

Joe knew. Period & end of discussion. When they bring him up, the "good" PSU fans should be shouting down the cult with us. Joe did a lot of good in his life, but when it mattered most, he didn't show "success with honor" by seeing the matter to completion. The fact that the folks on BWI think his name should go back on the conference trophy shows how out of touch they are.

That statement alone shows you're a half wit.

Originally posted by Beezzz:

Are you that much of a putz? Joe himself admitted to as much, not to mention emails that have been published attesting to it.

Only Pnny could be this brain dead. It takes a delusional person to totally discount facts, and Pnny is the epitome of a cultist.

I am not saying the other JoeBots are much better, but even they know Pnny is a mental degenerate. If you wish to continue posting here, I suggest you pull you head out of your ass, and quit acting like him.

Have a good day.

"I wish I had done more"-JoePed

I'd say that sums it up pretty well. But facts don't matter to the GKI crowd.

Serious question: what exactly are the "good folks from PSU" supposed to do? Plenty of us say our piece. I recruit for PSU here locally in SW Ohio/Northern Kentucky.

Personal anecdote here. I've made a direct point of attending every Penn State road game possible over the 2012-2014 time period. I went 11-out-of-13 in that regard (all but Iowa 2012 & Rutgers 2014). Also made all 3 of our neutral site games: NYC twice (Syracuse 2013 & the Pinstripe Bowl), and Dublin, Ireland once. I will engage in any type of conversation with opposing fans at those games, voice my opinion re: Joe and C/S/S and Sandusky. Show a public face of Penn State that is not that easy to stereotype. I haven't had any problems at all.

I'm lucky (all those games have cost a lot of $$$) enough to be able to do all that. But one thing I cannot do (legally) is muzzle people.

The Paterno Loyalists have their opinion, and they're going to voice it, regardless of whether I like it or not.

Eventually they're all going to die (Paterno Loyalists skew to the older-edge of the age spectrum). Frankly, that's the best long-term strategy for them. The historians --- the C/S/S trials are yet to occur, and people do tend to talk as time marches on, even Deep Throat revealed himself eventually --- ultimately will have the final say re: Joe's legacy. They tend to have the final say with everyone.
This post was edited on 3/2 2:17 PM by michnittlion

Originally posted by Beezzz:

Are you that much of a putz? Joe himself admitted to as much, not to mention emails that have been published attesting to it.

Only Pnny could be this brain dead. It takes a delusional person to totally discount facts, and Pnny is the epitome of a cultist.

I am not saying the other JoeBots are much better, but even they know Pnny is a mental degenerate. If you wish to continue posting here, I suggest you pull you head out of your ass, and quit acting like him.

Have a good day.
Aged, you prove yourself to be a jackass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT