ADVERTISEMENT

So let's see a list of who would be a better fit in 16-17 than Beilein. And don't say

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
"that is Manuel's job, not mine". If you are expert enough to identify that Beilein's time is up, then you should be expert enough to have a reasonable list of who is next. Reasonable meaning who is actually "gettable".

While I think Beilein has plenty left in the tank to be very successful, I will say as i have said before, you better find a real gamechanger, with major charisma and personality who can actually get people excited to get to buy tickets and acutally show up at Crisler.

So get out your pitchforks an start the list.

Chris Mack from Xavier
Archie Miller from Dayton
If you could pry him away....I know, I know...you're Meeesheeegan....his big bro, Sean Miller from 'Zona.

Chris Mack from Xavier
If you could pry him away....I know, I know...you're Meeesheeegan....his big bro, Sean Miller from 'Zona.
I have no problem with any of the three, although Miller is probably the least gettable. I will also say, whether they admit it or not, some people will not consider UM because of Harbaugh's enormous shadow and the monstrous job of getting 12,707 people excited to show up to basketball games. That is not a problem at Arizona or Xavier.

Jamie Dixon
King Rice
Gregg Marshall

Not sure if any of three meet my particular requirement of gamechanger when it comes to creating excitement but they are doing some good things.

Chris Mack from Xavier
Miller runs the same style as Belein. Doesnt use bigs the way this board seems to want to do that.

I don't think most people want JB gone. I don't particularly have a problem with his system. That being said, JB has a problem identifying and recruiting bigs. Maybe Teske/Davis change that but I'll tell you this...if UM is a middle of the road Big Ten program in the next couple of years...basically get beat downs from MSU and OSU then the noise is going to get louder and louder.

Look...the UM mindset isn't to play 2nd fiddle even in basketball. Even if that was the case...getting your lunch handed to you isn't a very good look. I don't want JB fired (dream) but I do want him to hear enough noise to make him seriously look at his system. I know he must see he has a problem. Not a guard problem but a 'Big' problem that has to be addressed.

When I say 'Big' problem...I also mean a toughness problem which can also translate to defense. Adapt or die. The ball is in his court. Not expecting UM to win a championship every other year in the Big Ten but I do feel (as do others) that UM bball is capped/limited because of the system.

All this stuff is fixable. It really is and maybe JB has fixed it partially with some bigger/stronger guys coming in...I can hope.

RM

We shall see. I think some noise is not necessarily unfair, but as I have been harping on in one of my other posts, he/we are as successful as any other big ten team the last 5.5 years. The numbers simply don't lie.

That is 5.5 years of playing agains the big, bad, tall, tough Big Ten and we are right there.

I too would like to see them adapt a little more and not seemingly be stubborn in some ways, but even looking at this year alone, as awful as some of our losses have been, not even counting Xavier and SMU but just in the Big Ten, to be 9-4 this late in the game with a roster minus two senior starters is remarkable.

I don't think most people want JB gone. I don't particularly have a problem with his system. That being said, JB has a problem identifying and recruiting bigs. Maybe Teske/Davis change that but I'll tell you this...if UM is a middle of the road Big Ten program in the next couple of years...basically get beat downs from MSU and OSU then the noise is going to get louder and louder.

Look...the UM mindset isn't to play 2nd fiddle even in basketball. Even if that was the case...getting your lunch handed to you isn't a very good look. I don't want JB fired (dream) but I do want him to hear enough noise to make him seriously look at his system. I know he must see he has a problem. Not a guard problem but a 'Big' problem that has to be addressed.

When I say 'Big' problem...I also mean a toughness problem which can also translate to defense. Adapt or die. The ball is in his court. Not expecting UM to win a championship every other year in the Big Ten but I do feel (as do others) that UM bball is capped/limited because of the system.

All this stuff is fixable. It really is and maybe JB has fixed it partially with some bigger/stronger guys coming in...I can hope.

RM
e

JB is probably the best coach for Michigan right now and agree, UM is not a top destination for a lot of basketball coaches. I would like to see JB do a couple things though:
  1. Recruit some athletic big men that can pound the middle - we need that to win consistently moving forward.
  2. Get some toughness on the team. We need to recruit kids that have the Stauskas, McGary, Burke attitude versus the Walton/Irvin. Kids that just play with a chip on their shoulder and with a lot of confidence.
We do that, regardless of how the recruits are ranked, we will be just fine.

JB is probably the best coach for Michigan right now and agree, UM is not a top destination for a lot of basketball coaches. I would like to see JB do a couple things though:
  1. Recruit some athletic big men that can pound the middle - we need that to win consistently moving forward.
  2. Get some toughness on the team. We need to recruit kids that have the Stauskas, McGary, Burke attitude versus the Walton/Irvin. Kids that just play with a chip on their shoulder and with a lot of confidence.

Outside of Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and maybe UCLA (had to settle in past coaching searches, terrible facilities, apathetic fans) and Arizona, the UM job is as attractive as any other out there. Huge brand, much better hoops tradition that our own fans appreciate (very good outside of the Ellerbe/Amaker years in the wake of Ed Martin), and recent proof that you can win big at UM and attract talent (all the NBA entries). And UM pays, JB is top 10 paid coach in the country. Michigan is absolutely a top tier college hoops job. Outside of the true blue bloods, UM is absolutely in that next tier.

The big problem with the JB system right now is that Chatman has been a bust. Look at him and he looks like a future NBA player except he doesn't score :(.

Irvin...too inconsistent. A chucker. Love how he has rounded out his game but like a volatile stock. Up one day...on the bottom the next day.

The #4 spot is the key position on the floor for JB and there you go.

RM

And Robinson has disappeared the second half of the season, teams have adjusted to him and he hasn't figured out how to get his shot. JB needs a 3pt shooter and Robinson not being one has really hurt the team.

RM
I kind of want him gone. His continued disdain of inside scoring/rebounding troubles me. Duncan Robinson may be the softest 6'8" guy in the NCAA. Seems just fine with JB, sadly.

Reactions: married4seats
Regarding the toughness angle, doesn't a team normally reflect the coach and what he prioritizes? JB likes him some soft as cotton, outside shooting/awful rebounding teams. Thus this year's team.
This is what you get with the JB system.

Reactions: married4seats
To the poster who said JB can't recruit bigs. McGary should be a senior this year. Jordan Morgan had a very good career and was all big ten his senior year.

Donnal is starting to turn on the light. He's got 2 years left after this. 25 plus in two big road games, 17 in another.

Fact is he's had a lot of bad luck but that's 3 pretty damn good bigs in succession assuming Donnal plays out.

I see the whining of Chatman. He's got 2 years left. For every Chatman there's a Maar, who is turning into one of best offensive players in the BIG.

Due to Levert injury, the entire team is coming back next year. I expect this team to be much better as a result, assuming their best players aren't hurt again like the last 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT