ADVERTISEMENT

Should be Michigan playing tonight in Tampa...Not Clemson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pikehead

Letterman
Feb 14, 2004
Couple of breaks here and there they would be..I don't care what ArrowheadBlue and ChitownBlue been posting on other sites,,Next year will be our year..GO BLUE...

Reactions: alablue
No. Even with the breaks (which would have happened had we made our own breaks) Michigan is not better than Clemson. Clemson's QB is why they are in Tampa tonight. Speight would have been running for his life against Alabama and possibly hurt going into the second quarter.

Clemson deserved to play...they spanked OSU, beat FSU, beat L'ville and beat Bama. Anyone that thinks Michigan would have done better does not understand college football. At the end of the day the players and coaches have to keep focused and win every game - Michigan lost it's cool against OSU and did not show up against Iowa. I don't care how good we are we did not deserve to be there - and then we lost to FSU. Hopefully the players learn that you can not take a week off here and there and expect to compete for a NC.

Clemson deserved to play...they spanked OSU, beat FSU, beat L'ville and beat Bama. Anyone that thinks Michigan would have done better does not understand college football. At the end of the day the players and coaches have to keep focused and win every game - Michigan lost it's cool against OSU and did not show up against Iowa. I don't care how good we are we did not deserve to be there - and then we lost to FSU. Hopefully the players learn that you can not take a week off here and there and expect to compete for a NC.
Ummm.

NC State took Clemson to o/t and they lost out right to Pitt.

They weren't the model of consistency either. We would have had our asses handed to us by either Clemson or Bama though.

At the end of the day it does not matter weather you win by 1 or 50, if you go undefeated you deserve a chance. If Darboh, Butt and Chesson did not drop 25 balls in our 2 losses, we would be playing but our Seniors were not models of consistency at all. I am really hoping that JH gets players that are way better. I think most of Hoke's players were at their peaks and their peaks were not quite good enough.

I see PSU and Wisconsin and even OSU open up running games with Fr/So O-line and we can't open an inch with a bunch of seniors. Systemic issues and I think players take the blame for that.

No. Even with the breaks (which would have happened had we made our own breaks) Michigan is not better than Clemson. Clemson's QB is why they are in Tampa tonight. Speight would have been running for his life against Alabama and possibly hurt going into the second quarter.
This. We are not ready for that level of football yet.

Couple of breaks here and there they would be..I don't care what ArrowheadBlue and ChitownBlue been posting on other sites,,Next year will be our year..GO BLUE...
i don't think Michigan makes the playoff next year, they lose to much on offense/defense.

I think Michigan is going to get there - we have the right coaches and at the right level. I remember Chris Speilman said in a game about a year ago that while the coaches are great the talent level is not to compete year in and year out and it was very evident with our seniors this year across the board:
  • Butt - great at catching the ball, but a terrible blocker. Did not really improve versus last year. Was at his ceiling.
  • Lewis - the only one who's ceiling was fantastic. Love that kid despite his last game against FSU - he would start on any team in the country.
  • Peppers - supreme talent but lacked impact in meaningful games. His best game was Rutgers where we did not really need him.
  • Smith - great blocker, terrible decision making and terrible vision.
  • Wormley - strong kid, but not consistent
  • Stribling - inconsistent, not an NFL type player long term.
  • Darboh/Chesson - dropped way too many balls and were at their ceiling and neither was a difference maker for us.
  • Taco - great year, I can see him to do well in the NFL.
  • Glasgow - stud, exceeded expectations.
  • Kalis - sucked!
  • Erik M. - sucked!
You look across the board at our Seniors and I think other then Lewis and Peppers, and perhaps Butt, most of them would not be starting for either Clemson, Bama or even OSU. I like the way JH is recruiting and I commend his staff for making the most out of the players he had in his first 2 years and getting to 20 wins. Other then Peppers and maybe Lewis, I don't see any of our seniors actually doing well long-term in the NFL and that gap hurt us.

Ironically despite all that we lose, I actually loved what I saw from the younger kids - they all had fight and an edge that I think our seniors just lacked. I think kids like McDoom, Crawford, Bush, Kinnel, etc will be really special next year. Would not surprise me if we get to 10+ wins.

Michigan will win 10 games or possibly more next year and they will be young. Harbaugh has had only 2 real recruiting classes and they have been loaded with talent. The assessment in the above post is correct with the exception being the fact that Hoke did recruit this years senior class and the football culture they learned was losing. Harbaugh quickly rebuilt the idea of winning but it cannot be done in 2 seasons and especially with how bad Hoke's last season went. Players like Morris for example were ruined.

Agree with the losing culture. I read somewhere that there was a lack of accountability under Hoke - he was too nice - and that was evident with a lot of our seniors. A lot of them felt like showing up was good enough. As for Morris, I don't think he would have come to Michigan with JH as a coach - he liked the Hoke style. I remember reading somewhere that Hoke never created a fire or urgency with the team - even Gardner said the same comment and that was evident. We still have some holdovers from the Hoke era but for the most part I am looking forward to seeing what JH can now do with his own players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT