ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Night

alnike

Senior
Feb 11, 2003
Tonight marks the final home game for the small senior class of Boo, Selman and Racine. What started out as seven freshman during the last year of the CCHA, has left three seniors helping to guide the roster to its first NCAA appearance.

Boo – A highly touted recruit who was probably expected to score 30-40 points a season and center the first or second line, has been a consistent 25-30 point producer with speed and playmaking ability. Can set career high in goals as we approach BIG playoffs.

Selman – Has become an upperclassmen contributor in his Jr. and Sr. seasons. Emerged when paired with Zach Hyman last year, the versatile player helps out in all roles and situations while approaching 30 points.

Racine – Setting career highs in wins, his play will be critical to the team’s ability to advance in late March. Hopefully the bad goals are out of the way and he can focus on making the key plays to advance.

While this class is still working on league regular season and playoff banners, they have won two GLI’s and have earned its first NCAA berth this year.

Other members of the 12-13 freshman class:

Jacob Trouba – In third NHL season with Winnipeg Jets. A strong freshman season and WJC accelerated his advancement. It was fitting that both Trouba and Copp were in Michigan this week on Thursday playing the Red Wings. During the game, they showed Trouba highlights from Michigan…Burying his heavy slapshot from the point, and some of the heavy hits he was penalized for.

Andrew Copp – In his first NHL season with Winnipeg, a former UM Captain scored a handful of OT goals his sophomore season. A strong contributor and local kid who did well wearing the M.

And a couple of players who went away quietly…

Jared Rutledge - Played one season in net at Michigan with Racine and Janecyk and was not ready for this level. He was the replacement for John Gibson when he left for the OHL. Parted ways after freshman year, played two years in USHL and is now playing NCAA D3 hockey at Aurora.

Daniel Milne – Forward who played a handful of games in his first semester before leaving after the GLI for Owen Sound of the OHL. Played three years in the O, putting up ok stats. Now is his first year of Canadian University hockey at McGill.

There is no better way than to close this weekend than singing the Victors on Saturday night. Let’s hope the three game slump is over and the team begins to turn the corner heading into the BIG Playoffs.

In addition to honoring three seniors tonight, there should be a lot of “One More Year” chants for several high profile players and Hobey Candidates on this team who could also play their last game at Yost. The CCM line has produced a highlight reel full of high precision goals this year.

Reactions: clevelandcane
Thanks for that, Alnike. There was one more player in that class, D-man Connor Carrick, now with the Leafs, but he jumped ship in August before starting school. Was frustrating to me just because he is from here in the Chicago area.

Every year when we get to this point with the 4-year players graduating, I always think, "Gee, it seems like those guys just got here." On the other hand - it seems like eons ago that Trouba, Rutledge and Milne were playing for us. Sometimes when I am thinking critical thoughts about Racine, I remind myself that he was brought in mainly to be the backup to the erstwhile Rutledge.

Reactions: clevelandcane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT