ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Road Notebook: Thoughts On Lander Barton, Cody Hagen, More

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** I got my first look at four-star Salt Lake City (Utah) Brighton linebacker Lander Barton, who is one of Michigan's top overall remaining targets, over the weekend. Barton was a bit underwhelming as his team suffered a blowout loss to Syracuse (Utah) High. Barton was used primarily as an outside linebacker/edge rusher but didn't see much action come his way. Barton finished the game with just a couple of tackles. Syracuse game planned around Barton, running away from him on the majority of plays. Barton did get some pressure on the quarterback off the edge but often mocked a rush and dropped back into coverage. Barton also saw some time at wide receiver. Overall, it wasn't the most productive day for Barton, but it was good to get an in-person look at him.

*** While Barton didn't produce many highlights, I really did like his athletic profile. Barton is a legit 6-foot-3, 215-220 pounds. He looks like an imposing figure on the field and has the frame to add plenty of weight and strength. I actually feel like Barton would excel the most as an inside linebacker in Michigan's 3-4 scheme, but he has the flexibility to play all four spots as well as come off the edge. Barton looked comfortable in pass coverage and has the length to play more of a wide nine. Barton also has great sideline-to-sideline speed, often getting in the pile from the backside. Barton checks the boxes as a guy that can thrive under U-M defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald from a skillset and measureable standpoint. Again, he didn't make a lot of plays but opportunities were limited.

*** Michigan recently extended an offer to three-star Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon wide receiver Cody Hagen. I love this scholarship, especially after getting my first look at Hagen live. He is exactly the type of player Michigan needs to get this speed in space firing on all cylinders. Hagen has terrific straight-line speed (10.63 100m) but is also shifty in the open field. I like his tall, lean frame and ability to not only stretch the field from the slot but also line up wide, make plays on jet sweeps and take carries from the backfield. Hagen reminds me a lot of USC wide receiver Jake Smith, who was a four-star prospect a couple of cycles ago and the Arizona Gatorade High School Player of the Year. Like Smith, Hagen is also an ultra-productive high school player. The dude has scored a touchdown in 15 (!!!) consecutive games.

*** Hagen got things going early for Corner Canyon in a big matchup against fellow Utah power Salt Lake City (Utah) East. Hagen took a jet sweep 10 yards and followed that up with a 35-yard play where he ran a simple drag, made a contested catch and turned on the burners to give Corner Canyon a first and goal. On the following drive, Hagen got vertical a scored a 20-yard touchdown. After that, Hagen's night pretty much came to an end. Corner Canyon took a commanding lead, and a severe thunderstorm caused delays and shifted the game plan. Still, I saw enough out of Hagen to really get onboard. The suddenness and burst in his route running as well as his versatility make him a dangerous and explosive offensive weapon. Michigan needs guys like Hagen for this offense to click.

*** One prospect that caught my attention was three-star 2022 Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon linebacker Harrison Taggart. While a bit skinny at 205 pounds, Taggart flies to the football and plays with a ton of physicality. He made tackle after tackle against a physical, run-heavy East team. Taggart also has sensational speed for his size and position, running a 10.7 100m. With the Michigan linebacker board having some issues, Taggart makes a lot of sense, especially since he's a teammate of Hagen. I like him more than a guy like Deuce Spurlock and would definitely make a move. Michigan is very much aware of Taggart and is closely evaluating him this fall.

*** I did not get a chance to see 2023 Rivals100 Provo (Utah) Timpview linebacker Siale Esera in game action as he sat out with a shoulder injury. Esera is a top overall target for Michigan next cycle and is looking to visit in the fall. Esera is definitely an impressive looking prospect. He's a legit 6-foot-3 and is built like a tank. Esera is being recruited as an inside linebacker, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him outgrow the position. He's so big and strong for his age that he may end up spinning down. I really want to see him move around and am interested to see how his body develops over the next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News