ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Rise & Fire Notebook: Tidbits On JJ McCarthy, CJ Carr

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Michigan freshman quarterback JJ McCarthy was back home in Chicagoland today as he served as a camp counselor at the Rise & Fire Camp for quarterbacks. McCarthy was the official visit host of Rivals100 Michigan wide receiver commit Tyler Morris during Victors Weekend and had a blast reconnecting with his former high school teammate. McCarthy will head back to Ann Arbor tomorrow. I couldn't interview McCartthy on the record due to Michigan PR rules, but I can tell you that McCarthy is really enjoying his time at Michigan, is competing hard for early playing time and is really high on new quarterbacks coach Mattt Weiss.

*** McCarthy was his usual self at the camp. He tossed the ball around with some little kids that were super excited to see him and gave as much advice as he could to campers in attendance. He went through a few reps and led a couple of drills. McCarthy's arm looks as strong as ever and wowed the campers and coaches working the event with his accuracy and ball placement. To say McCarthy's passes have some zip on them would be an understatement. McCarthy looks like he's hovering right at around 200 pounds and will continue to develop in the Michigan S&C program. He capped off the camp with a couple of his famous jump passes. The campers loved that JJ came back to work with them.

*** Rising 2024 Michigan quarterback target CJ Carr was in attendance at the camp and had a chance to work through a couple of reps with McCarthy. Carr was excited to meet McCarthy, and the two spent some time chatting and posing for photos during an extended break towards the end of the camp. I joked that CJ looks like a younger JJ. Carr has the same type of mannerisms and intangibles. He works extremely hard, leads by example and vocally and looks the part of an elite quarterback early on. He also knows how to have fun, too. CJ took a 1-on-1 rep at wide receiver and came down with an impressive catch.

*** Carr had a really strong day at the camp and was by far the best quarterback in attendance. He has great mechanics to go along with great feet and threw some really nice balls, especially in 1-on-1's. Carr keeps getting bigger every time I see and is coming along extremely well from a physical standpoint. After seeing him live again, I feel like Carr is more than Lloyd Carr's grand son. He's a legitimate prospect that will likely be a priority for the Wolverines down the line. Other schools have taken notice as well as he's notched recent offers from Indiana, Nebraska and Notre Dame.

*** Carr spent some time working with Weiss at Michigan's satellite camp at Eastern Michigan earlier this month and at Michigan's most recent on-campus camp. Carr gave Weiss great reviews and said he learned a lot from him. Carr added that he enjoyed being back at Michigan and can't wait to make a return visit in the future. Michigan should have the inside track here, but Carr does want to take his time with process and explore his options. He has visits planned to Michigan State and Penn State to round out the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News