ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding MSU, anyone who thinks two weeks from now is an automatic walk in the park...

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
I think you are crazy, although I hope I look like the crazy one come the end of the game. MSU will play their best game of the year, by far. That may not be good enough to stay within 20, 30 or 40 points but football is a funny game of momentum and home field advantage and funny bounces and turnovers. This team does have some talent. Their hate of UM and feeling of disrespect by UM and others is a strong emotion to take out of that tunnel.

I honestly believe anything can happen in this game.

I think you are crazy, although I hope I look like the crazy one come the end of the game. MSU will play their best game of the year, by far. That may not be good enough to stay within 20, 30 or 40 points but football is a funny game of momentum and home field advantage and funny bounces and turnovers. This team does have some talent. Their hate of UM and feeling of disrespect by UM and others is a strong emotion to take out of that tunnel.

I hope you're crazy also, in fact, I'm pretty sure you are.
If you're gonna subscribe to the "anything can happen" theory, which yes I agree that it can, then why not believe that UM can beat osu this year?
UM is just to good and msu is just horrible. I can't even picture us losing to them. Even if Speight and the O have a bad day, our D would still win the game.

They were lackluster against.....Furman.
They have lost the last four games in a row in truly demoralizing fashion.

But we should be pissing down our leg because "anything can happen"?

Yeah......F that.

We are going in dry. Hoke no longer coaches this team.
JH should plant a giant ass spike in their endzone.

Phrasing.
phrasing.jpg

Their hate of UM and feeling of disrespect by UM and others is a strong emotion to take out of that tunnel.

If you want to talk about intangibles, there is no way that Michigan is going to not come out on fire after what happened last year. It's simply ridiculous to think they would look past Sparty. They are going to want to eviscerate MSU.

I can't wait for the game. I'm glad it's at noon and we don't have to wait an extra 3.5 hours for the bloodletting.

Reactions: smackdown542001
If you want to talk about intangibles, there is no way that Michigan is going to not come out on fire after what happened last year. It's simply ridiculous to think they would look past Sparty. They are going to want to eviscerate MSU.

I can't wait for the game. I'm glad it's at noon and we don't have to wait an extra 3.5 hours for the bloodletting.
I agree in principal and also agree that there is probably not a coach built better than Harbaugh when it comes to not overlooking a team. But again, anything can happen in college football, especially a rivalry game.

I could give you a million examples as we all know. How about Minnesota in the big house 1986. I was there. Many of you probably were too. A Minnesota team that finished 6-6 beat #1 Michigan, a game that had no business being within three TDs and that was a home game.

How about 4-6-1 OSU in 1988 who came back from a 20-0 deficit vs. top 5 UM and only lost because of a couple of somewhat fluky hail mary pass in the final minutes.

Dantonio lives for this as do his players. They will be prepared to play like Super Bowl champs. Whether they can for 60 remains to be seen.

I agree in principal and also agree that there is probably not a coach built better than Harbaugh when it comes to not overlooking a team. But again, anything can happen in college football, especially a rivalry game.

I could give you a million examples as we all know. How about Minnesota in the big house 1986. I was there. Many of you probably were too. A Minnesota team that finished 6-6 beat #1 Michigan, a game that had no business being within three TDs and that was a home game.

How about 4-6-1 OSU in 1988 who came back from a 20-0 deficit vs. top 5 UM and only lost because of a couple of somewhat fluky hail mary pass in the final minutes.

Dantonio lives for this as do his players. They will be prepared to play like Super Bowl champs. Whether they can for 60 remains to be seen.
MSU has beaten Michigan with better players and better coaches the past 8 years. They don't have that now.

They also don't have Narduzzi, their master motivator. Dantonio is not exactly a rah-rah type of guy who can rally the troops.

MSU has beaten Michigan with better players and better coaches the past 8 years. They don't have that now.

They also don't have Narduzzi, their master motivator. Dantonio is not exactly a rah-rah type of guy who can rally the troops.
Hope you are right and I hope this is a version of their 2002 team that after a crushing, controversial MSU victory in 2001 lost 49-3 in Ann Arbor, in a game that could have been 89-3.

I'm just saying there is more than a minor chance they pull an upset. Unlikely? I suppose but not a foregone conclusion we will win, let alone by 50 as many people seem to think.

Hope you are right and I hope this is a version of their 2002 team that after a crushing, controversial MSU victory in 2001 lost 49-3 in Ann Arbor, in a game that could have been 89-3.

I'm just saying there is more than a minor chance they pull an upset. Unlikely? I suppose but not a foregone conclusion we will win, let alone by 50 as many people seem to think.
Anyone can win on any given day - especially when it comes to cfb.

What I don't get is when Michigan fans are treating every game against a rival like a walk through a mine field. We're dealing with a demoralized MSU team on the ropes - not one that had dropped a close game and is looking to rebound.

:let's look towards Illini and beat them after we've had a week off, and THEN worry and Prep for MSU. Hate looking ahead! Not a good plan from my long time coaching experience. . GBGB"74

Anyone can win on any given day - especially when it comes to cfb.

What I don't get is when Michigan fans are treating every game against a rival like a walk through a mine field. We're dealing with a demoralized MSU team on the ropes - not one that had dropped a close game and is looking to rebound.

Maybe you haven't been watching college football long enough. Rivalry game or not, anything can happen, any week. Aside from that obvious statement, a rivalry game like this, given the way MSU prepares for this game greatly increases their odds of an upset. Every intangible leading up to the game greatly increases their odds for an upset. If I was a betting man and was forced to bet, I would bet straight up that UM will win by 3 TDs. But worse teams than MSU have beaten teams as good or supposedly as good as UM.

Maybe you haven't been watching college football long enough. Rivalry game or not, anything can happen, any week. Aside from that obvious statement, a rivalry game like this, given the way MSU prepares for this game greatly increases their odds of an upset. Every intangible leading up to the game greatly increases their odds for an upset. If I was a betting man and was forced to bet, I would bet straight up that UM will win by 3 TDs. But worse teams than MSU have beaten teams as good or supposedly as good as UM.

That's true, but Michigan has a ton of motivation after last year. No way will anybody be looking past Sparty. Not going to happen.

What do you guys think the opening spread will be? As an MSU alum, I agree that right now you guys look to maybe win this game by 3-4 touchdowns, hell potentially more given your coach and the way the game ended last year. I have to think it will be a solid 10-14 points opening spread, even at Spartan Stadium.

What do you guys think the opening spread will be? As an MSU alum, I agree that right now you guys look to maybe win this game by 3-4 touchdowns, hell potentially more given your coach and the way the game ended last year. I have to think it will be a solid 10-14 points opening spread, even at Spartan Stadium.
We'll see based on what happens tomorrow. I think 10-14 would be a good call.

I don't think there's a chance, outside of an act of God, that we lose this game. MSU is bringing a lamb, a freshman QB, to this feast, he will be slaughtered and devoured and our men on defense will satiate themselves on his remnants. I'm as long-in-tooth as you are, sure "anything can happen any Saturday", but not this one. This one is going to be a Wolverine Nation catharsis. We are going to take out our irritation and frustration and starvation the last 8 years on MSU and there is little they can do to prevent it. They have little on offense against the best defense they'll see all year and we have plenty of offensive creativity to score 4-6 TDs against their vulnerable defensive line and defensive backfield.

I'm with our brother above that has tired of Wolverine fans pissing their pants at the sight of MSU or OSU. No longer, that was a former epoch, we live in a new age under a new field commander. We are going to go into this game with a champions' mentality and will pound them every damn second of those 60 minutes. We will pass if we're up by 30 and we will be relentless until we have exacted our revenge and satisfaction. There is nothing MSU will bring on Saturday to stop us.

I don't think there's a chance, outside of an act of God, that we lose this game. MSU is bringing a lamb, a freshman QB, to this feast, he will be slaughtered and devoured and our men on defense will satiate themselves on his remnants. I'm as long-in-tooth as you are, sure "anything can happen any Saturday", but not this one. This one is going to be a Wolverine Nation catharsis. We are going to take out our irritation and frustration and starvation the last 8 years on MSU and there is little they can do to prevent it. They have little on offense against the best defense they'll see all year and we have plenty of offensive creativity to score 4-6 TDs against their vulnerable defensive line and defensive backfield.

I'm with our brother above that has tired of Wolverine fans pissing their pants at the sight of MSU or OSU. No longer, that was a former epoch, we live in a new age under a new field commander. We are going to go into this game with a champions' mentality and will pound them every damn second of those 60 minutes. We will pass if we're up by 30 and we will be relentless until we have exacted our revenge and satisfaction. There is nothing MSU will bring on Saturday to stop us.
Amen to that.
I hope JH runs up the score big time.

Amen to that.
I hope JH runs up the score big time.

We could win by 50 but I'll say it again, maybe some of you are too young. I could list 15 Michigan games alone that they had no business losing 99 out of 100 times but they lost. Other top teams on the road as well. I mentioned earlier in the thread if I was forced to bet my house I would bet on UM to cover without even knowing the spread. I just think they better be careful and approach this like a championship. game.

We could win by 50 but I'll say it again, maybe some of you are too young. I could list 15 Michigan games alone that they had no business losing 99 out of 100 times but they lost. Other top teams on the road as well. I mentioned earlier in the thread if I was forced to bet my house I would bet on UM to cover without even knowing the spread. I just think they better be careful and approach this like a championship. game.
Are you just worried that you might jinx UM if you express ANY type of thought that we'll win the msu game?

Last edited:
I turned 50 today, my pants are dry, and we beat the hell out of Sparty on Saturday. We done here?

Oh, and I have yet to see UM play poorly under Harbaugh against a much lesser team. I'd encourage you to stop watching the 1988 OSU/UM game or the 86 Minny/UM game and think of what we're seeing currently on the field. What happened when I was in college at UM has no bearing here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT