ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update

Bredeson is impressive on film. Reminds me of Kalis but with better/quicker feet. Definitely one of the top 5 guys in the class I have seen on film.

Reality Man

no way you stay in top ten

I am a Michigan State alum. Neither of our programs will be top 10 at the end. Last year you needed over 2100 points (Oklahoma was 14th with 2158 points and Penn State was 15th with 2133 points) to crack the top 15. I studied their revised formula and it isn't plausible given how many 2 & 3 star recruits (4 & 6 for you and 1 & 10 for us) we have.

The new system looks at points and not stars but there is a correlation between the two. A 5.7. 3 star gets you 105 points, a 5.6 3 star is worth 90, and a 5.5 is worth 75. Some of your 2 stars are only worth 30 points in the formula. Top 250 guys get you bonus points. A kid like Brederson will get you about 190. Only your top 20 recruits are factored in. Unless you have a rash of 6.0 4 star (like Brederson) recruits, you are likely to finish in the 16-19 range with Rivals. I have posted a more detailed analysis of how our current 5th place ranking is fools gold on the Underground Bunker.

We all know the game is played on the field. Having said that, recruiting rankings impact perception, speak to brand strength and project momentum to other recruits and to sports writers.

Hoop

Last edited:
Safe to say both Dantonio and Harbaugh are going to get the talent they need to compete with OSU, PSU and each other no matter how they are ranked by rivals. They aren't going to take guys that they don't think they can compete with. Its's a game of inches though and only one East Division champ will emerge every year.....that's the bummer about the East. Stacked!

Not really worht doing the math until after the post-season rankings update, at least

Rankings change, and some of the kids offered by Michigan, Michigan state, etc. will be Among those (and some won't be)

At this time in his own cycle, Todd Gurley was a 5.6 3* recruit in rivals. He ended as a Top100 player...though still underrated

Point being, some guys will rise and others will fall. Need a little more time before in depth class analysis becomes meaningful

Reactions: roaringfork green
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT