ADVERTISEMENT

QB Transfer Next Season

buttaball

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Columbia, MD
The general assumption, and I agree, is that if JJ leaves (which is looking more likely) Michigan will pursue a transfer QB.

My hope is that they grab a true dual-threat QB.

If Finn from Toledo has a Grad year, I would bring him in to start (or compete to start) for one season with Jadyn Davis playing the same role J.J. did as a freshman: Play certain packages and snaps in every game to get Davis enough experience to really be ready to compete for, and win a starting position.

Finn would be the most realistic combo passing/running QB to temporarily replace J.J., but he would be depended on more along the lines of Cade. Not to say that Finn would be anything like Cade, but I'd bet he'd have more designed runs called for him than J.J. has, and Finn would be more of a "big cog" in the offense, vs The Engine that JJ is.

That would be the 2nd best scenario (the best being JJ returns) , and more realistic than bringing in a former five star from another program. I've seen a few other names as small program QBs with great numbers. Maybe there are better candidates out there- I really like Arizona's QB, Jayden DeLaura, a former Harbaugh recruiting target who chose WSU, and transferred to Zona-Who knows?

Any other names of 5th-year non-draftable players anyone else can think of who would fit as a plug-in starter on a team that will probably shift to a power running game with all three projected RBs: Kalel Mullings, Benji Hall, and incoming freshman (hopefully early enrollee) Jordan Marshall all being plus sized (Marshall is already over 205 lbs) backs.

The OL will still be deep and experienced; Returning transfers like Hinton and Gentry, join experienced backups like Persi, El Hadi, Crippen, Anderson, and Bounds to form a strong group with returning backups with 3-4 years of experience and maturity...and once again, the portal. The OL has gotten a transfer almost every offseason.

WR's? Young- Morris will be the upper-classman. The other spots will be contingent on the continued emergence of Semaj, Frederick, and Karmello, who all seem to have, despite not having the physical profile, made better use of heir small opportunities than others (*cough, cough* Clemons).

TEs- Coslton- QB security blanket...Klein has some buzz as do true frosh Loveland clones Tonielli and Marshall. Others including Prieskorn could emerge.

The defense will be filthy.

Will Johnson and Sabb lead a strong secondary with a lot of players (McBurrows, Amorion Walker, Berry) emerging. Still bullish on freshmen like Hill, Waller, Hillman, and Calhoun .

Graham, Grant, and Benny hold down the DT position; Etta looks like the next 3-tech beast, behind Benny, following Morris, and now Jenkins, as the next star 3 tech. I'm pretty comfortable that a grad transfer, and/or the usual great development story (Pierce? Cam Brandt? Atteberry? 2 of these guys?), will have our DT depth humming.

Derrick Moore will be taking on a leadership role- He will break out as a star. Opposite him are multiple guesses of possible returnees (McGregor, Stewart), and guys who may surprise, stay, and emerge as contributors like T.J. Guy, or Bennett...And of course this is another area where I see the portal playing a part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News