ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Pre-camp intel: Early depth chart talk at key positions

Josh Henschke

Publisher
Staff
Oct 26, 2021
With camp set to begin next week, I was able to get some information about where the depth chart stands heading into fall camp at key positions.

I wanted to preface this post by saying that the depth chart as it stands now will likely not be what it looks like come the season but you have to start somewhere, as I expect movement almost weekly at this point.

Let's get started.

Competition at the tackles and the center position

With the departure of Ryan Hayes, there is a position needed to be filled on the left side of the line as we enter camp. After speaking to those close to the situation, Karsen Barnhart will likely receive first-team reps on the left side of the line with Trente Jones getting first-team reps on the right.

With the addition of LaDarius Henderson, he is expected to compete on the left side and will receive second-team reps behind Barnhart as of right now. Henderson arrived to campus later than the other transfers so missing the spring likely put him behind a little bit but I don't expect him to take very long to get back up to speed. If Henderson starts to regain control of the left side, you'd likely see Barnhart flip to the right if he can beat out Jones.

At center, there is a big hole to fill with Olu's departure and, right now, Greg Crippen could receive some first-team reps in the early stages of camp. Drake Nugent, who missed spring due to recovery from surgery, will get second-team reps with Raheem Anderson behind the two. That is the key group that will battle for the starting spot with some believing that Nugent will win out in the end but Crippen isn't going to go away quietly.

CB2 talk

Obviously, the CB2 spot is the talk of the town when it comes to the Michigan defense. Right now, it appears that there will be some rotation with Mike Sainristil taking some first-team snaps next to Will Johnson and Sainristil then moving over to nickel, with Johnson also moving over to nickel as well. Remember, Steve Clinkscale said in a recent interview that Sainristil is capable of playing all positions and they will rotate him in as needed. This also allows Amorion Walker to take snaps between CB1 and CB2 on rotation. Keshaun Harris, Josh Wallace and Jaden McBurrows are also in the mix. Again, it's very unlikely this is what it's going to look like week one but you need a starting point.

Kicker/punter

The expectation for the first week is the transfers James Turner and Hudson Hollenbeck will battle it out for the kicker position, with Samaha likely heading towards a redshirt if he doesn't make any moves on the depth chart. Turner will receive the early first-team reps.

At punter, Tommy Doman gets to go back to this natural position at punter and should be the guy for the Wolverines this season.

Wide Receiver

With Ronnie Bell gone, it's looking as if Tyler Morris and Darrius Clemons will split time on the outside in the early stages of camp, with Morris getting first-team reps early. Roman Wilson appears headed for the slot with Fred Moore backing him up and Cornelius Johnson manning the outside spot with Peyton O'Leary backing him up.

I can try to find out other position-specific questions that you might have but that takes care of the big position battles heading into camp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News