ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Post-Bakich Michigan baseball update (6/15)

brandonjustice

Senior Editor
Staff
May 24, 2016
Woodhaven, MI
I gathered a few notes on the last 24 hours and what’s ahead for Michigan baseball following the departure of Erik Bakich.

- I’m told Bakich was offered the type of money you stick around here for. However, the assistant salary pool at Clemson was a difference-maker and a sizable difference to Michigan’s. That’s why associate head coach Nick Schnabel is tagging along.
- Warde was ready to pay Bakich, but raising a staff salary pool to the level of Clemson’s wasn’t in the cards. It’s still noted by sources that this was still very much so a personal decision for Bakich to go somewhere that’s a higher level of college baseball, a recruiting hotbed, and a second home for him. The assistant salary pool certainly factored in and made that decision easier.
- I’m working on a short list but it’s to my understanding that Tigers’ pitching coach, and former U-M pitching coach, Chris Fetter is the top option internally.
- On top of that, players are fingers crossed hoping it’s Fetter. The continuity he would bring if he returned to Ann Arbor isn’t comparable to any other candidate in this race.
- If it’s not Fetter, I’m told the roster will take a closer look at who it is and evaluate it. But an “exodus” of sorts could occur with the current roster, one that’s rather loaded. Additionally, guys weighing out the MLB Draft or staying in Ann Arbor might have their decisions made for them.
- I’m told the roster thinks as highly of Fetter as any of the previous staff, especially the pitchers who have an immeasurable amount of respect for him.
- A.J. Hinch said this today, asked by Evan Petzold: "I'm not surprised that the rumors have started. From what I understand, there's been no contact yet. We love Fett. He's very talented. ... We have to do everything we can to keep him. ... We want him to stay here."
- This would be the third Tigers’ assistant to leave the MLB club for a college coaching job. Last year, losing third base coach Chip Hale to Arizona and asst. hitting coach Jose Cruz, Jr. to Rice.
- Anyone on any site, Twitter or elsewhere, saying this is a foregone conclusion is wrong. This is a developing situation. A conversation will be had between the two parties. Michigan is seriously interested to a point where Fetter is unequivocally the most-desired candidate in town. Meanwhile, Fetter loves Michigan as much as anybody, he still lives in Ann Arbor, President Schlissel is gone (I’m told there was a rift there, shocker), and he will get *paid* if it means he’s the next head coach at Michigan.
- Last note: this is all still preliminary. Bakich’s move isn’t officially announced yet, so this will take time. However, it’s worth noting that Fetter, who is elated with Detroit and his buddy A.J., treated Michigan like his dream job. The clubhouse of players who played for him think his heart is here. Many folks within coaching circles believe if there’s one job that would make him leave his current post, it’s the job that titles him the head coach at Michigan.

I’m working on getting a more formal shortlist before I go shouting names, but here are a few names to consider:

- Maryland HC Rob Vaughn
- Wright State HC Alex Sogard
- CMU HC Jordan Bischel
- Xavier HC Billy O’Connor (I think this could be a real dark horse; however, O’Connor has an excellent thing going in Cincy.)

As I said two weeks ago about Bakich… buckle up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News