ADVERTISEMENT

Our own personal Transfer Portal

MichaelJSpath

Sophomore
Dec 21, 2020
First off, welcome to @Josh Henschke and the new staff here. I've spoken to Josh a few times about running the site and I wish him all the best. I have told him he has my support. I also wish the very best to Chris Balas, Clayton and the like. I spent 15 years at The Wolverine, from 2002-15 before a falling out with the publisher. One of us had to go and it wasn't going to be him. LOL. We're actually cordial now but we didn't speak for a long time and that was after he had groomed me to take over as publisher.

What I find interesting about this change is it is very reflective of college sports today and the decisions that young men have to make for a variety of reasons. It's essentially our own transfer portal and we're all left with the question: did we commit to a program or a coaching staff? Michigan is Michigan because of the institution. It has transcended coaches and players. Bo turned it over to Mo, who turned it over to Lloyd, who left it for Rich Rod to Brady and now to Jim. Along the way, Michigan was still MICHIGAN (maybe not the RR years). And for decades, we as fans have been staunch supporters of Michigan. Our loyalties are not to certain coaches. We didn't follow Rich to Arizona or Brady to San Diego State. We are Wolverines.

Similarly, that's how I see the Michigan Rivals site. Something was built here, no doubt with Chris and JB playing a major role. They were both here when I arrived in 2002 and they remain. They're good dudes that love Michigan and want to see it be successful. But the Michigan Rivals site was never about one player or even two or three or four. I gave everything to this site for 14 years and it moved on pretty quickly after I left because I was always just part of the team. It was never about me. Tim Sullivan, Andy Reid, Josh Helmholdt, Brandon Brown, Matt Pargoff, Brandon Justice, Doug Skene, Doug Karsch ... all major contributors to this site for periods of time. All left or moved on for a variety of reasons. Yet the Michigan Rivals site remained largely because what Chris, John, myself and others built was a community that thrived whether we were actively involved with it or not. That's a credit to YOU. The subscribers to this site that took ownership of it and turned it into your place to hang out. These posters became your friends and your family (and sometimes your enemy), and it has always been the place you come before, during and after games to discuss Michigan.

I don't expect that to change just because a new staff has arrived. I hope it doesn't. I hope this place continues to be what it has been for 20+ years: a haven for Michigan fans. At the same time, I know many will follow Chris and Clayton and EJ (hell for $1 per year, you can do both). I've got no dog in the fight. Everyone is an adult and everyone has to do what's best for them (let's remember that when a player leaves U-M too, it's not much different, eh?).

To those of you who staying put, Go Blue. To those of you moving on, Go Blue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News