ADVERTISEMENT

OT: You only need 5 whiskeys

Trevor McCue

Senior Editor
Staff
Feb 2, 2022
This was a thing on a Reddit awhile ago and I think it is a fun exercise for enthusiasts.
The idea is you really only ever need 5 bourbons to achieve everything you need. These are the 5 categories.
  1. Daily drinker- your go to for enjoying bourbon
  2. Impress your guests- fancy but not too fancy
  3. Cheap mixer
  4. Something great- your Friday night bourbon
  5. The saving for a special occasion bottle

Here's my list!
Daily = Buffalo Trace. Neat, on the rocks, just a great sipper throughout the week. A steal at its price, as long as you can find it.
Impress = Woodford Reserve Double Oaked or Old Forester 1910. Depending on the guest, this might not be too impressive but I think both of these double oaked bottles give great flavors and they are easy to share and keep you from busting out a more expensive bottle.
Cheap mixer = Wild Turkey 101. This was my daily, but that's been replaced with BT. I like the higher proof of 101 in cocktails where any of the 80-90 disappears.
Friday night = This one rotates. Often Old Forester 1920, but this is where I usually reach for a good pick. I have a Private Select Makers right and now and an Elijah Craig A123.
Special Occasion Bottle = I'm not a big chaser, so for me this is a EH Small Batch I am fortunate enough to have. If I got my hands on some BTAC or something like that otherwise I usually spend over $80 on a bottle though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News