ADVERTISEMENT

OT - to all those who had some advice for getting in shape in the later years...

SCMaiz'nblue

Heisman
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
...please forgive the indulgence, but THANK YOU!!! A few months ago a guy (I think!) posted about how to get in shape post-50, and was met with all manner of advice from doctors, workout warriors, ex-competitive athletes, etc. For reference, I played basketball, tennis, and hockey growing up, racketball in my '30 and '40s. I was a slow but steady runner in my 40's and 50's (12-15 miles/week) until a stress fracture sidelined me a couple years back...then Covid...I had ballooned...

Now everyone is different, so I pored through the various posts and figured out what would mesh with other things I heard over the years that would work for me (My wife started Weight Watchers a few months ago, but I'm too cheap to join myself...!!). I came up with a daily routine of 4 things:

1. Walking - at least 5 miles/day, mostly at 4mph+ pace
2. A calorie counting app to log everything I eat (it's amazing how easy it is to resist throwing your hand in the chip bag when you know you have to log it!). Current max = 1850 + workout calories (honestly I haven't found it that hard to do...)
3. A gallon of water daily (also can log on the app) - This one is big...probably the most helpful factor, because a glass before meals and I'm almost never hungry...(yes, I live in the bathroom!)
4. Intermittent fasting (not so ruthlessly observant of this one, but I generally only eat noon-8pm, and almost never after 8)

I keep gum around for cravings, but that's the routine. Now that the gym has opened up, I'm doing some upper body/ab toning most days, and there you go...on the day after my 60th birthday, I weighed in 30lbs less than my doctor's visit in December, and within 2 lbs of the weight I was when I stepped on my current campus 33 years ago...and I feel great (I even had a couple glasses of chianti to celebrate...). It doesn't hurt that my wife is making WW dinners every night...

Covid was a BITCH, but the above was well worth it for my sanity. Four more pounds to get to a round number, then stabilize and maintain...

My job has me sitting on my butt most of the day (literally!! - I'm a professional pianist who hasn't mastered the Jerry Lee Lewis thing...), so something had to happen...I have three GREAT boys who all played travel soccer, so I am constantly reminded of what I USED to look like when I was a kid...youngest is about to start his senior HS year.

Again, please forgive the indulgence, but I had to tell somebody - my wife said she would KILL ME IN MY SLEEP if I lost more weight than she did...any advice as to how to encourage her? She's on a great path as well, having lost 20+ pounds...but she laments the struggle more than I do...

Thanks all for being a great Fort...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News