ADVERTISEMENT

OT, my mom died this morning and what I learned

THEUPE

Junior
Jul 10, 2002
A while ago I posted a thread when we learned that my mom had pancreatic cancer and the Fort responded with an incredible amount of support. I was humbled by your caring. Thank you all for that.

But my mom passed away this morning at about 6am. I got to spend almost a month with her in June while she was still very lucid. We had many good talks and I had the time and good fortune to be able to tell her everything I needed to say goodbye. I will be forever grateful for that time. In early July I had to return to my home in NH so I had to say goodbye not knowing if I would see her again. She began to fail rapidly a few days ago and I decided to fly back to the UP where she has been in a nursing home. I arrived yesterday at about 12:30 pm, and spent most of yesterday at her bedside. I left at about 10:30 last night and she died this morning.

I am a physician and have seen many people die. Some have had what I would call a good death and my mom had one of the best I have ever experienced. She was 91 years old and she said that she had a good life. She did not fear death and as her time neared she said she was ready to go. And she maintained a sense of humor and grace right up till the end. Her friends and family visited her until the last day. In the end I think she waited for me to return so she could go.

I say that she had a good death because she did not fear or fight it. She had her family and friends with her and she maintained her character until the very end. She died with grace and taught us all a lesson in how to approach that last step In life. And even though I lived far from her and did not see her often, we maintained our relationship by phone and I will miss her greatly. She was a dear lady and a blessed soul.

If your parents are still living, cherish them because they will not be around forever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News