ADVERTISEMENT

OSU/MSU/ND

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
Best 3 teams in college football right now. The Buckeyes by talent alone because they sure are not playing like champions. Urban better get them focused real quick for their playoff run. The Irish look good right now despite the injuries. Their trip to Clemson is going to say a great deal about them if they come out with a win. MSU just keeps getting better each week.

Reactions: jayarza
Best 3 teams in college football right now. The Buckeyes by talent alone because they sure are not playing like champions. Urban better get them focused real quick for their playoff run. The Irish look good right now despite the injuries. Their trip to Clemson is going to say a great deal about them if they come out with a win. MSU just keeps getting better each week.
LSU, Ole Miss and Georgia may beg to differ. All three of those teams are looking very strong.

Very good chance both OSU and MSU will be among the playoff candidates. ND will not be.

No scenario under which both MSU & OSU make the playoffs.

-MSU (11-1) loses close game @ OSU (13-0)
-TCU wins B12, everyone else with 2+ losses
-Ole Miss wins SEC and all other teams have 2+ losses
-2-loss Oregon wins the Pac 12
-2-loss VA Tech wins ACC
-Notre Dame and BYU finish with 2+ losses.

Who are your 4 playoff teams?
1) Ole Miss
2) Ohio State
3) TCU
4)

Last edited:
LSU and Ole Miss could lose any week with the exception being a game with Vanderbilt. Both teams have yet to play Alabama and then they will likely play Georgia in the SEC championship game. Michigan State does have an excellent shot. OSU will make it and Notre Dame like it or not is a good football team with a favorable schedule after Clemson which is a super tough game for them.

-2-loss VA Tech wins ACC

1) Ole Miss
2) Ohio State
3) TCU
4)

A 2 loss VA Tech winning means that Florida State loses 2 ACC games - how do you see that happening??? I think the committee will not take a team that does not even win it's own division and I think a conference champ will be rewarded over them. Michigan State's SOS is weak unfortunately and that won't help them.

Reactions: mrchmadness23
MSU & OSU sure, but ND has gotten it done against a bad Texas team (despite the name, they are bad), a mediocre VA team, and a decent to solid GA Tech team. Hardly ready to give them any more kudos than "atta boys" in winning out. I suspect their injuries are going to catch up to them sooner than later. SEC powers are certainly better than them as are the B10 ones. Top 8, not top 3.

OSU offense isn't playing at championship caliber, but you'll have to think that the talent is. On the other hand, the defense is playing championship caliber and has championship talent. Of course neither means that they will win the championship.

As far as both OSU and MSU being in the playoffs, I still think it is unlikely. But what effect would a two loss PAC-12 Champions AND a two loss SEC Champion have on the committee's choices?

Awwwww, the ND hater chimes in. And Eric doesn't have a slight SEC bias at all, huh???

why wouldn't a UM fan "chime in" on a UM message board? Better question is "why is an ND flamer hanging out on a UM message board?" The Irish will do what they almost always do. They will fade like the sunset as the year wears on. Much more likely that an ND team under Kelly has 4-5 losses when all is said and done - it's happened 4 of his 5 yrs there.

I think there will be one or two sec teams in this when it is all done, this is the best conf. in college football, where you don't know who is going to win this until the last week or two of the season, unlike other conf. where they already know who is going to win it. I only watch mich, in the big 10, after that it's all sec, the big 10 puts me to sleep. I'am from mich, but I live in the south, go blue will always be my no1. team and have been for 45 yrs. so good luck to whoever make it's. there is some great fans out there, so keep rooting for your team. and pray to god, no one get hurt.

why wouldn't a UM fan "chime in" on a UM message board? Better question is "why is an ND flamer hanging out on a UM message board?" The Irish will do what they almost always do. They will fade like the sunset as the year wears on. Much more likely that an ND team under Kelly has 4-5 losses when all is said and done - it's happened 4 of his 5 yrs there.
Be patient with Kellen, he's new at this discussion thing.

Bo was right...

A 2 loss VA Tech winning means that Florida State loses 2 ACC games - how do you see that happening??? .
Lose @ Clemson and to VTech in ACC Championship game or lose @ Florida and to VTech in ACC Championship game. In either case FSU has 2 loses and is not the ACC Champion.

They could also pick up a loss vs Miami or @ Georgia Tech.

Last edited:
Lose @ Clemson and to VTech in ACC Championship game or lose @ Florida and to VTech in ACC Championship game. In either case FSU has 2 loses and is not the ACC Champion.

They could also pick up a loss vs Miami or @ Georgia Tech.

Committee will always bias towards conference champs. Also, if the rest of the BIG besides MSU & OSU are average at best, that will hurt BIG's ask for 2.

If OSU, with their pathetic schedule, loses to MSU, finishes with one loss and makes the playoff, then the current selection system will be destroyed.

ND has looked really, really good in all but one game - where their starting QB's ankle snapped. They've lost six starters so far - six. Pretty impressive so far.

ND has looked good but you really have not played anyone good just yet. Texas is terrible. Virginia is equally as terrible. GTech is overrated. I think next week will be your true test @Clemson. If you guys somehow figure out how to beat them, you could end up having a pretty special season despite all your injuries.

-2-loss VA Tech wins ACC

1) Ole Miss
2) Ohio State
3) TCU
4)
Tcu got a gift tonight

MSU is not ranked in the top 75 IN OFFENSE OR DEFENSE DUDE. READ THAT. AGAIN NOW. AND TELL ME AGAIN THAT MSU IS IMPROVING.

Preseason polls are for the uninformed. And that is why SParty is ranked so high.

Reactions: B1G
Well that is why teams play 12 games because over that duration you have to assume the polls work themselves out :) MSU's next 2 games are against potentially the 2 worst teams in the BIG so I don't see them falling from the #2 spot anytime soon.

Apparently TUOS doesn't attach much value to it, trailing in the all-time series like they do.

True, I don't care too much about the all-time series. Much of that is because of Michigan's dominance before the invention of the television. If you take a look at the series the last 50 years, 25 years, and 10 years, it continuously shifts towards OSU's favor.

As a fan I don't want to lose to Michigan- and the Buckeyes eventually will, but I acknowledge that it is better for the conference and in some ways better for the Buckeyes, for Michigan and PSU to get better.

True, I don't care too much about the all-time series. Much of that is because of Michigan's dominance before the invention of the television. If you take a look at the series the last 50 years, 25 years, and 10 years, it continuously shifts towards OSU's favor.

As a fan I don't want to lose to Michigan- and the Buckeyes eventually will, but I acknowledge that it is better for the conference and in some ways better for the Buckeyes, for Michigan and PSU to get better.
We understand the TUOS "pick the games that matter" strategy, you don't need to explain it. They all count, but you can pretend they don't.

We understand the TUOS "pick the games that matter" strategy, you don't need to explain it. They all count, but you can pretend they don't.

I never said that they didn't count. What I'm saying is that the OSU losses to Michigan before I was born don't really concern me. No one is picking "the games that matter", you're the one who brought up past history. But since you did bring it up, I'll count UM's victories the past 50,25, and 10 years, they just happen to be less than the Buckeye's. And if you want to say Michigan was the better program when the Wright Brothers were still children, I can accept that too.

And yet, here you are...

Yup because I enjoy it. Relax, Aoi, I don't initiate negative comments about Michigan, the part of my post that you quoted was in reference to dallasdomer's post on OSU's pathetic schedule. As I stated, when Michigan and PSU are back playing to their potential as a program, it will end the complaints about OSU's schedule.

Yup because I enjoy it. Relax, Aoi, I don't initiate negative comments about Michigan, the part of my post that you quoted was in reference to dallasdomer's post on OSU's pathetic schedule. As I stated, when Michigan and PSU are back playing to their potential as a program, it will end the complaints about OSU's schedule.
If I were any more relaxed, I'd be in a coma.

OSU needs to step up and start playing a tougher non-conference schedule. VTech is a good schedule (and nobody could have predicted they would suck when you scheduled them about 5 years ago). But the rest is weak. Michigan probably played the best non-conference schedule this year - 2 Power 5 teams and BYU that is not going to be considered a sub for a Power 5 team.

Then again - Notre Dame's schedule is now starting to look really weak as well - GTech, Texas, UMass, and Virginia all either really really bad teams or way overrated. I would argue that you (OSU) have a tougher schedule then Notre Dame after all is said and done.

I never said that they didn't count. What I'm saying is that the OSU losses to Michigan before I was born don't really concern me. No one is picking "the games that matter", you're the one who brought up past history. But since you did bring it up, I'll count UM's victories the past 50,25, and 10 years, they just happen to be less than the Buckeye's. And if you want to say Michigan was the better program when the Wright Brothers were still children, I can accept that too.
Again, trying to pretend some games count less. It's fine, it seems to be a TUOS thing. We get it.

OSU usually played at least one decent Power 5/BCS each year. There has been a several year stretch where opposing teams pulled out because everyone now wants a home and home. OSU will no longer give a home and home to a perennial mid-level team. Since the early 2000's OSU's OOC schedule included Texas, USC, Miami, Washington with Jake Locker and NC State with Philip Rivers,

Va Tech was a perennial top 10 team when they were scheduled. Cal was a top 15 team when they were scheduled. Starting next year the OOC home and home's include: TCU, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Texas, and Oregon.

The period where OSU gets hammered on their schedule wouldn't haven been an issue if Michigan and PSU was decent. Those teams along with a very good MSU and a good Wisconsin would have been a very good schedule. If Nebraska played closer to their history it would have been even better.

Again, trying to pretend some games count less. It's fine, it seems to be a TUOS thing. We get it.

What are you, 9 years old? That would represent the quality of your argument.

Or maybe ChicagoBlue, you're 90, and can't distinguish the difference between 1915 and 2015.

I absolutely count the games won when some people were still arguing whether the world was flat or not.

What I'm saying is that except for the visits to the Museum of Championships Past, they have little relevance this season.

What are you, 9 years old? That would represent the quality of your argument.

Or maybe ChicagoBlue, you're 90, and can't distinguish the difference between 1915 and 2015.

I absolutely count the games won when some people were still arguing whether the world was flat or not.

What I'm saying is that except for the visits to the Museum of Championships Past, they have little relevance this season.
I'm neither of those.You're beating a dead horse here-we get that games not in your selected time frame don't count for you. Can you please make that point several more times? Goodness you're slow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT