ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball On the coaching rumors re: Tracy Smith

brandonjustice

Senior Editor
Staff
May 24, 2016
Woodhaven, MI
We were early to the party and reported Tracy Smith from Arizona State as a candidate for the job earlier this week.

I can confirm he’s risen as the new favorite.

Though many have been favorites, this one seems to be the closest to a sure thing. That’s still stated with a ton of caution considering how absurdly weird this search has been.

As for the hire, if it’s Smith, the majority of my baseball sources reacted negatively when I reached out asking for their opinions.

I was told he was a candidate at Ohio State, but the athletic director backed off due to third party recommendations.

So I’m not sure on this hire, if it turns out to be the one. He’s won a lot of baseball games at Indiana and Arizona State.

However, questions surrounding his culture and his well-publicized exit from ASU was anything but pretty.

There’s a link for some additional reading on that topic at the bottom.

Some folks will love this hire because of his resume and the surface-level stuff to consider (experience, wins, recruiting nationally).

A long time ago, he was successful at Indiana, bringing two 40-win seasons in a row to Bloomington.

However, at ASU, the Sun Devils were eliminated from two NCAA regionals before having back-to-back losing seasons for the first time.

From ASU’s AD after parting ways with Smith: “We’re going to look for a leader who will come in here and really do an assessment, look to instill discipline and focus and accountability,” Anderson said. “Really kind of an intensity that we think is necessary to win and meet the expectations we have for ASU baseball. Someone who will re-energize ASU baseball, our donors, our alums and fan base.”

The COVID season was canceled and they had another regional exit in 2021 before Smith was fired with two years still left on his contract.

In a non-revenue sport, firing a head coach two years before his contract is up is telling.

I’m not trying to be ultra-negative. If and when this hire comes to fruition, I’ll look at it with as open of a mind as I can.

But why did Smith interview everywhere else around the sun the last year and not get a single job?

That’s a question I’ll have to ask around and get an answer on.

The show goes on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News