ADVERTISEMENT

Okay guys

diggersdad

Sophomore
Nov 29, 2001
I will be the first to admit that I am surprised, no, shocked that Iowa beat MSU at Breslin by...whatever it was....17? I am willing to admit I never saw this coming. But, how often has this happened. To answer a few questions and comments:
-I hate to admit how long I have been watching UofM basketball. No, this isn't my first rodeo. Remember watching Cazzie Russell....I do.
-How many Big Ten Tournament championships has Beilein won in 8 years. None. How many did Izzo win in his first 8 years. 2?
- I hate MSU....literally cannot stand them. But, in football as in basketball....they have been fielding champions, we have not/
-You cannot consistently win B10 championships without a strong inside presence. A huge weakness in Beilein coached teams.
- I will stand by my contention that we will never field a consistent B10 champion, either in the tourney or in the regular season by recruiting players that need to be developed to the degree that Beilein recruits need.
- Much to your surprise....I am a huge Beilein fan. Plays by the rules and is a huge "character" guy. I love him, but he will end up having a losing record against MSU simply because Izzo is tougher, and teaches his players to be tough. The next few years will be really rugged with the athletes Izzo is bringing in.

Hey, I am willing to eat humble pie....but have been watching UofM basketball for years, still hoping for that championship coach that has eluded us. We finally have one in football.

What is your
I will be the first to admit that I am surprised, no, shocked that Iowa beat MSU at Breslin by...whatever it was....17? I am willing to admit I never saw this coming. But, how often has this happened. To answer a few questions and comments:
-I hate to admit how long I have been watching UofM basketball. No, this isn't my first rodeo. Remember watching Cazzie Russell....I do.
-How many Big Ten Tournament championships has Beilein won in 8 years. None. How many did Izzo win in his first 8 years. 2?
- I hate MSU....literally cannot stand them. But, in football as in basketball....they have been fielding champions, we have not/
-You cannot consistently win B10 championships without a strong inside presence. A huge weakness in Beilein coached teams.
- I will stand by my contention that we will never field a consistent B10 champion, either in the tourney or in the regular season by recruiting players that need to be developed to the degree that Beilein recruits need.
- Much to your surprise....I am a huge Beilein fan. Plays by the rules and is a huge "character" guy. I love him, but he will end up having a losing record against MSU simply because Izzo is tougher, and teaches his players to be tough. The next few years will be really rugged with the athletes Izzo is bringing in.

Hey, I am willing to eat humble pie....but have been watching UofM basketball for years, still hoping for that championship coach that has eluded us. We finally have one in football.

What is your definition of consistent? You are playing with numbers and moving the bar when it comes to how you judge. You never mentioned Big Ten Tournament titles until now. I gave you three extremely powerful sets of numbers over a 5 year period. That is a very big sample size in sports. UMs numbers are near identical to the other top programs...yes UM has CLEARLY been a top program in the Big Ten the last 5 years.

Let's add to those numbers after game 9 and see how they look, and of course at the end of this 6 year run.

Didn't change the rules, or numbers. 2 B10 season championships in 8 years, 0 tourney championships, Izzo had a national title after 5 years and 4 B10 championships in 8 years. Has 4 big ten tourney championships. Again, JB= great guy, high character...but will never have the NCAA tourney record Izzo has, because he can't coach tough inside play. For that reason alone, he will never build consistent champions. Need big inside play....Beilein will never develop that position. Therefore, will never build consistent champions. Love him, but not tough enough.

What is your

What is your definition of consistent? You are playing with numbers and moving the bar when it comes to how you judge. You never mentioned Big Ten Tournament titles until now. I gave you three extremely powerful sets of numbers over a 5 year period. That is a very big sample size in sports. UMs numbers are near identical to the other top programs...yes UM has CLEARLY been a top program in the Big Ten the last 5 years.

Let's add to those numbers after game 9 and see how they look, and of course at the end of this 6 year run.
BTW, 6 year run? Izzo had a national title after 5 years, and two Big a Ten titles in the same time. We won the Big Ten tournament in 1998, the inaugural year....haven't won since. Got blown out by MSU last year. We are simply the ""younger brother" and I am tiired of it.

BTW, 6 year run? Izzo had a national title after 5 years, and two Big a Ten titles in the same time. We won the Big Ten tournament in 1998, the inaugural year....haven't won since. Got blown out by MSU last year. We are simply the ""younger brother" and I am tiired of it.

It is ok little brother. You clearly cannot understand reality except to twist your numbers into something that looks more positive for little brother. Fact is, izzo only has one more national title than JB, if you want to go by that. Big 10 tourney titles?? Hahaha. Sure, win a few games and that is the same as winning the regular season title.

Hey DD....I hate to admit it but I agree with you to a point. The JB system is quirky and flawed. It's hard to beat physical teams with an inside presence unless UM is shooting out of their mind.

I'll take your side of this case which will upset some people.

UM is a 25 foot shot from not getting to the final four. It was a 17 ft shot away from not winning a co-title....barely.

So UM is really 1 Big Ten title (was close against IU) and a bunch of early exits and it sure looks like UM is just a lower 1st tier BT team in the best years and a 2nd tier BT team in the average years. UM is not OSU, MSU, Wiscy or IU...but more like Purdue and Iowa to an extent.

That point is valid but as I said in another post....UM could be out of the tourney and be more like Minny. Here is the bottom line...UM is going to play it out with JB and then go after a big name coach when he retires. Hopefully JB strikes gold with some of his new recruits and clearly his choice of big men over the last few years has been...well....disappointing to be nice.

RM

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT