ADVERTISEMENT

Not a premier program

diggersdad

Sophomore
Nov 29, 2001
With JB at the helm. Never will be. Over his head in the big ten and is going to get his bit kicked for the next few years against MSU. Hopefully our AD will make a change after next year. No ,ore NCAA for JB at Michigan.

I'm guessing you must be a fan of an opposing Big Ten team because Beilein resurrected the Michigan basketball program. They had not been in the NCAA tournament for 11 years before Beilein took over the program and has already made the tournament 5 times. More impressive is that he has already won two Big Ten championships which hadn't been done in 25 years. Beilein is undoubtedly a great coach, one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball. Now, if you want to criticize him for not recruiting more effective bigs there is some legitimacy in that argument.

I'm guessing you must be a fan of an opposing Big Ten team because Beilein resurrected the Michigan basketball program. They had not been in the NCAA tournament for 11 years before Beilein took over the program and has already made the tournament 5 times. More impressive is that he has already won two Big Ten championships which hadn't been done in 25 years. Beilein is undoubtedly a great coach, one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball. Now, if you want to criticize him for not recruiting more effective bigs there is some legitimacy in that argument.
C'mon. He took a team 3 years ago to the final game; two years ago to the elite 8. He has two conference championships. He re-built the program. He does it the right way. He's a great rep for the University of Michigan.

Reactions: JRMSU
Didn't JB sign an extension. Great because I don't want to see him go. As Mroad said above...JB made a boo boo in his recruitment of Donnal and Doyle who is a solid player is not what I would call a Tier 1 or Tier 2 type of center for his system. More like a quality role/speciality # 2 quality center.

It happens. JB did a nice job getting Dawkins and LeVert to pan out and I love what I see on film with these new guys who look very good. That being said...JB has made his bed and now it looks like he needs to get Wagner up to speed who looks promising.

I love the JB system but it works when he has enough scorers who can also play competent defense (not great but solid) and he has a #5 who can pick n roll or do at least something on the floor. JB is going to have to figure it out and going forward with Teske...he should be alright.

RM

Didn't JB sign an extension. Great because I don't want to see him go. As Mroad said above...JB made a boo boo in his recruitment of Donnal and Doyle who is a solid player is not what I would call a Tier 1 or Tier 2 type of center for his system. More like a quality role/speciality # 2 quality center.

It happens. JB did a nice job getting Dawkins and LeVert to pan out and I love what I see on film with these new guys who look very good. That being said...JB has made his bed and now it looks like he needs to get Wagner up to speed who looks promising.

I love the JB system but it works when he has enough scorers who can also play competent defense (not great but solid) and he has a #5 who can pick n roll or do at least something on the floor. JB is going to have to figure it out and going forward with Teske...he should be alright.

RM
Championship coaches never get beat by 16 on their home court, ever. Getting schooled by UConn. Won't make the NCAA's. Champs don't make significant recruiting errors unless they can't recruit top flight players. JB can't.

C'mon. He took a team 3 years ago to the final game; two years ago to the elite 8. He has two conference championships. He re-built the program. He does it the right way. He's a great rep for the University of Michigan.
Great rep, but not a champion.

It's real simple in my mind. If you play the JB style...you better be able to make perimeter shots..especially 3 pointers. Need to be able to pnr and some of the guards need to get into the lane.

This is his system and he knows it and acknowledged it on the radio show. I'll give the 'venue' excuse a little play but this season is going to be bad if Irvin keeps chucking 3 pter's and Dawkins/Robinson aren't consistently scoring.

This team has talent and depth but only when it makes shots. Chatman and Wilson are specialty role players and Wagner is going to have to be developed. This team needs what I call the big 5 scorers to score and it looks like right now it's only LeVert and Walton and the other 3 (Irvin, Robinson and Dawkins) are coming up short.

Recipe for disaster.

RM

With JB at the helm. Never will be. Over his head in the big ten and is going to get his bit kicked for the next few years against MSU. Hopefully our AD will make a change after next year. No ,ore NCAA for JB at Michigan.

Why don't you throw your name in the hat as JB's successor and we can all sit back and watch you bring the program back to life.

Hmm. Two Big Ten Titles in 3 year period, a tip in away from what would have been a threepeat. Rolled by the Big Ten?
Took Louisville to the last minute in 2013 with recruits nobody else wanted...or even knew of (Stauskas)?
Dominated the Big Tens premier program, MSU, for 3 years, with MSU teams loaded with 4-5 star talent and top 5 classes year in and year out?
And a roster so deep this year, and potentially next year even with Levert and Albrecht gone that UM will still be strong competitors in the Big Ten.
Seems like he is doing just fine.

Reactions: guestavo
DD is a flamer. Of course Beilein is a great coach by any measurement. He took a program that was in the dumps, hadn't made the tournament in 11 years and has won 2 Big Ten championships, has them playing regularly in the NCAA tournament, made the elite 8 one year and took the team to the championship game one year....most of these accomplishments in the past three years. Yeah, the game has really passed him by. Wolverine fans are thrilled to have him leading our program.

Reactions: guestavo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT