ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Agents Talk NIL

Dec 4, 2017
The Athletic has been doing a great series interviewing anonymous agents and such about the comings and goings of hot issues and topics in the NFL. One of the questions is:

How do you see the name, image and likeness (NIL) permissions factoring into your recruiting of draft prospects?

“Just a complete catastrophe. An arms race to see which agencies can buy the most players at the earliest stages, then keep them happy and then buy them again before the draft. It’s absolute lunacy. The marketplace has destroyed the integrity of our industry. Now it’s which agencies can write the biggest checks to freshmen hoping one day they can be a first-round pick and hopefully one day pay them 3 percent (commission).”

“The NIL is a new cesspool. All this did was open up a can of worms that makes everyone think they’re brandable. I’m not mad at the kids, and it is a step forward.”

“Some agents are going to use NIL to sign players ASAP, which is happening. Others will stay in their lane. I think it’s going to be all over the map. … From an agent’s perspective, every kid is going to be different. Some will still emphasize football when choosing an agent, but some will separate marketing and agents.”

“I think it’s allowing less-talented, less-experienced agents to sway kids with promises that I’m not so sure they’re able to keep. These so-called agents are using this as an entry to a world they never would have gotten in otherwise. If the players can make money off their name, great, but will some of these agents deliver?”

“It’s changed the whole game. Marketing agencies can now sign 18-year-olds coming out of high school. This could be beneficial for agents if kids are loyal, but also a challenge if other agents promise a lot when it comes to signing kids for the draft. Definitely beneficial for the kids.”

“It’s already the No. 1 topic, hands down. Big focus for these players. It’s the most pressing topic of conversation. It’s already caused the agent community to become involved in these player’s lives and decisions as early as their freshmen year. It’s not good for anybody, and I think it will hurt more kids. I wouldn’t normally talk to any kid until their draft-eligible year.”

“There are a lot of (agents) who have already broken the rules. I’ve had multiple players show me NIL texts from agents (that discuss monthly payments). They’re helping players set up LLCs. They’re going to mom-and-pop stores in towns and giving them money to give the kid a deal to sign them, lock them up. Agents are signing freshmen who haven’t even touched the field. I’m not sure we’ll be able to police this. … I’m happy the kids are getting paid, but I don’t want to be chasing college kids when I have NFL players since those guys think they’re marketable.”

“I am for it because kids should be able to prosper off their image in college. Some college stars for whatever the reason don’t end up having a long NFL career.”

“Some people will take advantage of naive kids to gain a business advantage, but some will educate them. Agents that help will be rewarded.”

“The top prospects will be bought and paid for long before they get to the NFL Draft. I’m hearing about big payments already. I guess it’s legal now, depending on who you ask.”
Remember, this is from NFL agents. A lot like when Harbaugh messed up the apple cart with Summer Swarm for college coaches, most of the complaints seemed to be "Now I have to work harder," and their complaints are masqueraded as some moral or ethical obligation to college aged athletes. Others seem to have real concerns. The overarching theme seems to be good for the players, but GD, can the NCAA and colleges ever create something that is a cluster F of nonsense?

The most interesting one I saw was agencies donating money through mom-and-pop shops to "sponsor" those athletes. Honestly, sounds like a win-win-win. Players get paid, small stores get "free publicity", agencies get advanced access.

Anyways, whoo boy, I love the chaos!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News