ADVERTISEMENT

My dad passed yesterday.

jimUMfan

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2008
Eustis Florida
www.tiptops.com
He was 86. I made it to Grand Blanc in time to spend about 3 1/2 hours with him before he took his last breath.

Dad really enjoyed life and he gave it his all. He was a fantastic musician, and music was imprinted on his DNA. He was champion swing dancer, and as little as two years ago he was still competing in the Master's division of the US Open. He was a great bowler, but his first love was golf. For most of his life, he was between scratch and a 6 handicapped golfer. Even while he was going through all his health problems, when I visited him last month, all he talked about was getting back on the golf course.

We had lots of fun, and I don't recall us ever arguing. He took me to a few Indianapolis 500's, football, hockey, basketball, and baseball games. We took golf trips, and he regularly took my money at the pool table. He was the second-best storyteller in the family and he never met a stranger.

The last year was completely different than the rest of his life. He had a heart issue that started small and began a snowball effect that ended yesterday with complete organ failure. In the end, he was surrounded by family, and he knew he was loved. He hated to be sick and he was ready to go. I hated to see him held hostage by his failing body, and in the end, we all knew it was time.

I already miss him but I'm excited about his new adventure. I know he's already made a bunch of friends.

Thanks for being the dad all the other kids wished they had. I love you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News