ADVERTISEMENT

MSU outplayed UM but there had to be 10 calls or

1) I think the Bolden flag for 15 yards was right, but the targeting ejection was questionable this rule is very touchy.
2) Willie Henry play was a penalty. As a play is concluding and the pile has stopped. You can't come in from way out with the King Kong Bundy splash.
4) I don't remember the Higdon play.
Why can't he dive on a moving pile. People jump over lineman and land on running backs or dive into them. Why is this different. The whistle clearly hadn't blown and runner wasn't down. If so obvious why only one flag.

The officials were so bad, they were either on the take, or blind, or stupid, or any combination of these.

Worst officiated game I have seen in any sport, ever.

Total. Sh*t. Show.

Go Blue. Always.
Alamo Bowl vs. Nebraska was probably slightly worse. But it's close, ha!

Lake Tahoe Spartan said:
"1) I think the Bolden flag for 15 yards was right, but the targeting ejection was questionable this rule is very touchy."

Bolden was thrown down on the pile by a Spartan, how could that be a penalty at all, let alone warranting a targeting ejection?

Burbridge had to clear the NCAA clearinghouse to be eligible, same criteria as UM athletetes have to meet. Fact is, UM coaches didn't believe he would clear; MSU coaches took the chance he would, and he did.

Burbridge must have had an amazing final semester his senior year, because even the Harrison coaches were shocked he was accepted
into (any) college.

Reactions: llhcatsports1
Do not agree that MSU outplayed Michigan Wolverines in that game. Michigan was the more consistent team; MSU had a couple of big plays. MSU has the better QB; Michigan has the better defensive team. Michigan could not quite put the game away when leading 17-7 and 23-14 in the second half. Give Spartans credit for coming back when they had to. They kept themselves in the game. Then it was decided on that last improbable play.

UM was consistent? Didnt UM go 3 and out 7 or 8 of their offensive possessions?

MSU outplayed UM on defense and offense. Some stupid coaching and special teams keot you clinging to your lead but with Cook and our WRs we ere never remotely close to not being in the game.

UM simply cannot hit big plays on offense, and you arent going to nickel and dime your way down the field vs MSU unless you have a really good offense which UM doesnt have. And you arent going on long sustained drives vs UM either...but MSU was able to hit big plays because we have an elite passing offense.

If this game is played on a neutral field, make no mistake, MSU wins 4 out of 5 times. And tht was with 3 starters out in our secondary and our OL a mash unit.

Nope. UM was the better team overall. Your defense was better. Peppers was the best football player on the field. Both D lines were excellent. MSUs O line was terrific until the last series and your D got to Cook play after play. Burbridge was the best receiver on e field. I actually thought Hoyer or Cousins would have torched you way more than Cook did. I thought Cook has yet to play this year anywhere near as well as he did in 5-6 games last year. Just me.
Your Dbacks were terrific. Very sticky. They might have interfered a few times but they were close. The refs were overmatched. Bolden call was bad, but it still could have been unsportsmanlike conduct, but the rule didn't allow it to be down graded. I don't think he was pushed. He fell on him, but it was not targeting. Just the heat of the battle.

No team deserves to lose a game like that and no team is entitled to win one that way either. Unfortunately you can't fumble the ball on the last play of the game. In 30-40 yrs of watching every level of football, I've only seen a fumble on the last play a few times and it always ends up bad.

I don't fault Harbaugh or coaching. The kid just blinked. He messed up. Incredibly, unbelievably surprising.

I cannot believe how lucky MSU was. Not just fumbling.....but perfectly deflected into a guy who is practically already sprinting. Like a movie script. You couldn't make that up.

Even as it's Michigan, I still feel a little guilty about enjoying that win. Now I hope they can run the table. Wouldn't that be something. Unbelievable.
No offense man, but that play, or plays similar to it, happen several times every season. Just usually not on the last play. Think back to the JLS days. In one season, MSU was up on OSU, and looking to extend the lead on the last play of the 1st half. In a Chinese fire drill fashion, MSU sends out the kick team, the ball is blocked, and OSU takes it to the house. The game went downhill from there. Stuff happens. I guess it's only called a "miracle" or "luck" when it's on the last play.

As for UM being the better team overall, all I can say is they were better in one third of the game. Special teams. I mean, MSU had 383 yards to UM's 230. The rushing game was almost identically bad, but MSU threw for over 300 yards to UM's 160 or so. Also, this game was played in AA. Not sure what you saw to feel UM was the better overall team.

Happened in the Indiana v Rutgers game this past Saturday: "The defense forced three turnovers in the quarter, including a 26-yard fumble return for a touchdown by Kemoko Turay on an errant punt snap."

Which is why you simply don't punt, especially when you can run out the clock in 4 plays.

I don't think msu outplayed us at all. They never led in this game till we made a mistake. Sure the calls we got were terrible but we lost on a mistake we made.

I agree ... similar to the statements that MSU "dominated"

well if they were "dominating" then why did they have to try so many 4th down conversions
and why didn't they make them?

I mean if you think your team is dominating then you just punt on 4th down since
you will quickly get the ball back anyways.

Credit to MSU for the win - can't spin it any other way.

Extending that miracle sequence of events to conclude that MSU dominated
and that JimH is a bad coach ... well that is the true definition of delusional and arrogance

oh well

I agree ... similar to the statements that MSU "dominated"

well if they were "dominating" then why did they have to try so many 4th down conversions
and why didn't they make them?

I mean if you think your team is dominating then you just punt on 4th down since
you will quickly get the ball back anyways.

Credit to MSU for the win - can't spin it any other way.

Extending that miracle sequence of events to conclude that MSU dominated
and that JimH is a bad coach ... well that is the true definition of delusional and arrogance

oh well
Reality is msu has a terrible kicker and terrible special teams. They didn't even want him out there that's why they went for it on fourth down so often. He can't kick worth squat. Second they threw to Lewis side mostly the whole game but I hear Spartans claim peppers is terrible on d. But they never threw his way. I wonder why. Spartans believe their one win away from tieing in the overall series so they say as well. Delusional.

Reality is msu has a terrible kicker and terrible special teams. They didn't even want him out there that's why they went for it on fourth down so often. He can't kick worth squat. Second they threw to Lewis side mostly the whole game but I hear Spartans claim peppers is terrible on d. But they never threw his way. I wonder why. Spartans believe their one win away from tieing in the overall series so they say as well. Delusional.
Peppers is a work in progress on pass D, but a beast vs the run. Problem for MSU isolating him is that he's likely covering TEs, RBs and other players that MSU is not looking to use heavily in the game.

I find it kind of amusing that the $partan$ fans are now acting like arrogant asses like they have called us for the past 40 or 50 years. But I heard that some coach once said "Pride comes before the fall."
I saw one objective spartan fan reply in this entire thread. You, my friend, whoever you are, are swimming upstream against a very strong current of delusional thinking.

Reactions: BDP-RSB
Now that's how you analyze a game, thanks for that thoughtful, evenhanded assessment, it was a classic one that fell into MSU's lap. I would add that I thought MSU's run defense was the key tipping point in the game. It forced Michigan out of what they wanted to do, saved the game by stopping their plans in the second half of running out the clock, etc.

This was a game we should have won, we were in perfect position and lost on a special team Hail Mary. This isn't a disaster, we took our in state rival to the brink, have lost to two top 7 teams by 11 total points and have a favorable schedule before OSU. We are definitely going in the right direction, I sat in the stands in horror in 1994 when UM lost on a 65 yard prayer that marked the beginning of a four year slide before 97. This is not that, we are improving overall and his coach and this staff will lead is back. I loved watching it, like a heavyweight battle that you know someone eventually is going to lose. Man, these next years are going to be GREAT for the in-state battle.

Hang-Your-Hat Positives
  1. No turnovers except for the disaster at the end
  2. UM's DL was outstanding throughout vs a first round draft pick QB and especially the DBs played outstanding overall except for losing the FB on the one long play
  3. Rudock played within himself and did not hurt us and even made a couple key downfield completions
  4. Jourdan Freakin Lewis
  5. Special teams minus ten seconds were outstanding and were the major reason their 350 yards only equated to 20 offensive points
I just can't stop thinking about it. I would say this, the Spartans did all they could do to make the play. Watching it over and over again, I'm still thinking they would most likely have blocked the kick anyway. But a Hail Mary was what probably should have happened. ANd that had a low chance of being successful...but we'll never know. But the way this came down was just a perfect storm fumble. I'm sure coaches all over the country are rethinking how they handle that situation if it happens to them. I suspect it will never be repeated, anywhere, in our lifetimes.

Michigan absolutely, positively played well enough to win that game. Deserve to win? Nobody deserves to win. You win. You lose. You make plays. You don't. MSU made the play....were ready to make the play if the opportunity presented itself. Unfortunately, UM didn't make the play. MSU tried to make something happen and they did. O'Brien fumbled and MSU pounced. History. I'm not gloating. I'm happy. A little sad for UM...but just a little. Carry on!

I just can't stop thinking about it. I would say this, the Spartans did all they could do to make the play. Watching it over and over again, I'm still thinking they would most likely have blocked the kick anyway. But a Hail Mary was what probably should have happened. ANd that had a low chance of being successful...but we'll never know. But the way this came down was just a perfect storm fumble. I'm sure coaches all over the country are rethinking how they handle that situation if it happens to them. I suspect it will never be repeated, anywhere, in our lifetimes.

Michigan absolutely, positively played well enough to win that game. Deserve to win? Nobody deserves to win. You win. You lose. You make plays. You don't. MSU made the play....were ready to make the play if the opportunity presented itself. Unfortunately, UM didn't make the play. MSU tried to make something happen and they did. O'Brien fumbled and MSU pounced. History. I'm not gloating. I'm happy. A little sad for UM...but just a little. Carry on!
^^^AGP

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT