ADVERTISEMENT

Mediocrity

diggersdad

Sophomore
Nov 29, 2001
Can't get to the NCAA's beating lower level teams, and it looks like another embarrassing loss to a ranked team....again. We are content with mediocrity while MSU continues to churn out sweet sixteens, final fours, Big Ten Championships. Pretty embarrassing with all the investment we have made in the facilities that we cannot recruit anything but MAC level talent, especially at the post position. This year and next are going to be painful in the Big Ten. Love ya JB, but your style doesn't win consistently on the big stage.

I can't really disagree with your assessment although I would counter would you rather have Tommy Amaker as coach?

UM could do worse so be careful what you wish for going forward.

RM

I watched most of the game and was surprised at how SMU pretty much dominated UM last night. On the other station I flipped over to watch Maryland jump out over UConn, who also beat UM 2 weeks ago, then came back only to have Ollie called for a T that blew UConn's chances.

Maryland is pretty good, but that weren't waaaay better than UConn who is better than UM.

I doubt the travel has that much to do with UM's woes. Not trying to pick on them but they look slow and don't have the athleticism that several top teams (Duke, MSU, Kentucky, Maryland, even...Purdue) have.

I think UConn plays Ohio State this Saturday. I think UConn wins that game.

Methinks UM is in for a long season. However, in their favor, I don't think the B1G looks nearly as deep as last few yrs. After MSU and Maryland it's a decent drop to Purdue....then the rest of the pack. I think this is Tom Crean's last chance at IU. He's going to be gone if he doesn't compete for B1G this year and I doubt he does. I think UM has as good a shot as any other team in the league to finish 3rd behind the Spartans and Terrapins.

I watched most of the game and was surprised at how SMU pretty much dominated UM last night. On the other station I flipped over to watch Maryland jump out over UConn, who also beat UM 2 weeks ago, then came back only to have Ollie called for a T that blew UConn's chances.

Maryland is pretty good, but that weren't waaaay better than UConn who is better than UM.

I doubt the travel has that much to do with UM's woes. Not trying to pick on them but they look slow and don't have the athleticism that several top teams (Duke, MSU, Kentucky, Maryland, even...Purdue) have.

I think UConn plays Ohio State this Saturday. I think UConn wins that game.

Methinks UM is in for a long season. However, in their favor, I don't think the B1G looks nearly as deep as last few yrs. After MSU and Maryland it's a decent drop to Purdue....then the rest of the pack. I think this is Tom Crean's last chance at IU. He's going to be gone if he doesn't compete for B1G this year and I doubt he does. I think UM has as good a shot as any other team in the league to finish 3rd behind the Spartans and Terrapins.
.500 at best for UofM. Maybe worse. They will be playing for an NCAA birth at the Big Ten tourney. They don't have a Zac Novak or a competitor like Trey any more. Bunch of softies.

I can't disagree with you. It sure looks like they are soft soft soft. I think the team is ok with Walton and LeVert and Robinson but the lack of offensive production from the #5 and #4 is a major problem especially since they are weak on defense. That is a recipe for disaster.

UM is clearly overmatched against the better teams because it's basically 3 on 5. JB has put together a roster and he has missed badly on Irvin/Chatman and Donnal and Doyle....and there you go.

RM

I can't disagree with you. It sure looks like they are soft soft soft. I think the team is ok with Walton and LeVert and Robinson but the lack of offensive production from the #5 and #4 is a major problem especially since they are weak on defense. That is a recipe for disaster.

UM is clearly overmatched against the better teams because it's basically 3 on 5. JB has put together a roster and he has missed badly on Irvin/Chatman and Donnal and Doyle....and there you go.

RM
Goodbye John.

Goodbye John.
JB stays for a few years yet. At this point, the administration will accept mediocrity in basketball so long as the coach runs a clean program. This looks like a middle of the pack team in the Big 10, based upon performances so far. Maryland, MSU, and Purdue are the class of the conference.

I think people forget how bad UM basketball was prior to JB taking over. We didn't make the tournament for something like 11 years and in many years the team just looked pathetic. Did people think we would be playing in the NC game 5 years after he took over the reigns? And he followed it up with an elite 8 appearance the following year. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I think he needs to take a hard look at the type of player or the way he develops players because as of right now we literally have about 4 players on the team that look like they belong on a good division 1 team. His recruiting of bigs deserves specific criticism because outside of maybe Wagner, none of them look like division 1 players...heck, I really don't think a couple of them would do well in the MAC. Beilein has definitely earned the right to coach a couple more years to show improvement. People forget that we kept Amaker six years and his teams never made the NCAA tournament.

I think people forget how bad UM basketball was prior to JB taking over. We didn't make the tournament for something like 11 years and in many years the team just looked pathetic. Did people think we would be playing in the NC game 5 years after he took over the reigns? And he followed it up with an elite 8 appearance the following year. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I think he needs to take a hard look at the type of player or the way he develops players because as of right now we literally have about 4 players on the team that look like they belong on a good division 1 team. His recruiting of bigs deserves specific criticism because outside of maybe Wagner, none of them look like division 1 players...heck, I really don't think a couple of them would do well in the MAC. Beilein has definitely earned the right to coach a couple more years to show improvement. People forget that we kept Amaker six years and his teams never made the NCAA tournament.
This Administration will likely be happy with a Bball team that "almost" makes the tourney, because JB is such a good guy. Well, I love the guy as well, but he is a coach that will never achieve what MSU, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, heck, even Maryland and OSU. I literally cannot stomach watching another JB coached mediocre team. What a wimp.

JB isn't going anywhere. Nowhere for the foreseeable future. End of story.

RM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT