ADVERTISEMENT

Man would I be pissed if one of ours did like McCaffrey

detroitjohn

All-American
Dec 20, 2001
West Detroit
I don't care how much it makes sense, you don't walk out on your team before the season ends to prep for your personal football future. I hope Dylan brings none of this to Ann Arbor, because Christian's move seems like self-centered football at its worst. Love Ezekiel Elliott's rejoinder, maybe it's a Midwest football thing, but I couldn't see one of ours or an OSU player pulling this.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/19/christian-mccaffrey-stanford-cardinal-skipping-sun-bowl

Reactions: JP2Blue
I disagree. The kids have to look out for their own best interest as well. An injury could potentially end their chances at playing at the next level. They worked hard from hs to college with the hopes of one day playing in the NFL. Now, If this was a playoff game then I would be more apt to side with you but the rest of these games are meaningless in the grand scope of things.

I mean we're talking the Sun Bowl here....

I never knock anyone for choosing their money, future and family security over football or friends on a football team. If the team doesn't understand then they were never really his friend.
... this also may be why I don't have many friends , but I assure you my bank account is never overdrawn either and I feel ok with the few I do have

I never knock anyone for choosing their money, future and family security over football or friends on a football team. If the team doesn't understand then they were never really his friend.
... this also may be why I don't have many friends , but I assure you my bank account is never overdrawn either and I feel ok with the few I do have
I don't see a program build on the moniker, "The Team, The Team, The Team!" ever accepting something so shallow and self-serving. Let me make a little prediction, if his attitude, as the biggest star on the squad, toward Stanford's team is indicative, that program is experiencing serious rot.

I don't see a program build on the moniker, "The Team, The Team, The Team!" ever accepting something so shallow and self-serving. Let me make a little prediction, if his attitude, as the biggest star on the squad, toward Stanford's team is indicative, that program is experiencing serious rot.
He is not the only top 5 projected player saying he is sitting out of his bowl game. Some people play for hope ... not the love of the game, that's just a fact. Being talented doesn't mean you are always passionate...it can mean you are just physically gifted. You and his team will have to accept that .., either way, he will not care because he is looking out for himself as you said. I don't like it, I sure wouldn't want to see peppers say anything like that but I would respect their decision and understand why

He is not the only top 5 projected player saying he is sitting out of his bowl game. Some people play for hope ... not the love of the game, that's just a fact. Being talented doesn't mean you are always passionate...it can mean you are just physically gifted. You and his team will have to accept that .., either way, he will not care because he is looking out for himself as you said. I don't like it, I sure wouldn't want to see peppers say anything like that but I would respect their decision and understand why
I appreciate your perspective brother, I just value team play too much. Like you said I'd not only be disappointed but mortified if Peppers did the same.

Reactions: GoPennState97
I do get it --- although, this is why a lot of players buy insurance policies on themselves during their last year of college football. I think the NCAA even facilitates the insurance-purchasing process for those players who want insurance to mitigate their financial risk.

But per what I heard on the radio this evening --- McCaffrey already has insurance! Hmmmm.

if you quit on your college team (3 guys so far I think) when times get tough will you quit on your pro team?

Do you play through minor injuries or sit on our ass due to hangnail?

Reactions: 57varieties
this is spineless

hope he never plays for my team

and dont give that thinking about his security bull.... ill buy that from a kid who grew up with nothing not from someone whos father had a long successful career making plenty of dough

I am somewhat ambivalent about this move. Look, this is a lower bowl game. An extra game if you will.

His future riding on his health. Maybe a question should be well why not 'quit' half way through the season. I think the NCAA needs to deter these things because you see the same sort of thing going on in college basketball. One and one.

I know Fournette is doing the same thing and going forward this is a bad look for the NCAA. I think maybe before the season starts a player(s) and coaches should address these things in the locker room because leaving your teammates in the bowl game is an act of selfishness but justified.

RM

This one is a slippery slope. As others have stated, I'm not a fan of this, but I certainly understand the point. The sticking point is at what point does the player check out. If you're a star player on a 500 team do you start dogging before the regular season even ends? I mean, if NFL teams see you have the talent they're gonna draft you, whether you take a play off here & there or not...i.e. J Clowney.

The good news is this is an opportunity for the backup to shine! Opportunity for the "next man up" mentality to be embraced wholeheartedly by the team. I for one say Go Cardinal in the Sun Bowl!

I am torn on this issue - I think if a Michigan player did this I would be pissed. Let's say Peppers does this - I would be pretty darn upset at that point. Having said that, Peppers love football too much to ever not do that. The problem I have with this is where do you draw the line? Both Fournette and McCaffery could have shut it down almost 2 months ago and just gotten their own personal trainers to start preparing...neither would have seen the draft stock fallen at all. So, to pick a bowl game to do this seems like a very random and selfish thing I guess.

Personally I am not a fan of this - someone mentioned, what if high school kids started to do that as well? Rashan Gary could have easily just said after 4 games in HS that he is done and he would have still been the #1 recruit.

I get both sides of the equation - it's a function of risk appetite, etc but the odds are so stinking low anyway. Either way, good luck to both those kids - I think Fournette will do well in the NFL...CM, I am not sure about - not big enough to be an every down RB. Might end up becoming like an Edelmann. He should try to get drafted by the Pats.

I don't care how much it makes sense, you don't walk out on your team before the season ends to prep for your personal football future. I hope Dylan brings none of this to Ann Arbor, because Christian's move seems like self-centered football at its worst. Love Ezekiel Elliott's rejoinder, maybe it's a Midwest football thing, but I couldn't see one of ours or an OSU player pulling this.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/19/christian-mccaffrey-stanford-cardinal-skipping-sun-bowl

This is plain Bull poopy. To forget his team and staff to do his own thing!! How many days does he get extra to do this? Not a lot and not worth the potential loss of the game. Same goes for the LSU guy who did the same thing. We'll see sooner than later more telling the program to go to hell and show their selfishness. "74

Ok so kids who are surefire top NFL draft picks should play in meaningless bowl games (Sun Bowl, Citrus Bowl) to make money for everyone but themselves instead of sitting out this game in preparation for fulling their ultimate dream which is making it to the NFL and making money for themselves.

Come again?

Ok so kids who are surefire top NFL draft picks should play in meaningless bowl games (Sun Bowl, Citrus Bowl) to make money for everyone but themselves instead of sitting out this game in preparation for fulling their ultimate dream which is making it to the NFL and making money for themselves.

Come again?
Fair and legitimate but isn't this game part of the season they signed up for or committed to as a team member?

I really think this is a reflection of our culture. Me first.

RM

look, when you are a member of a team, a real team, you are a family.

this is no different than walking out on your family, it shows nfl teams a complete lack of character if you ask me.

guess i was just raised different.....

look, when you are a member of a team, a real team, you are a family.

this is no different than walking out on your family, it shows nfl teams a complete lack of character if you ask me.

guess i was just raised different.....

Your first sentence makes great sense. However, if I was to make the counterpoint, I would say your FAMILY would understand why you did this & wish you well. Hopefully McC talked with his teammates about this before acting. Having said that, I wish McC would go ahead & play.

I do believe that many players have ALWAYS taken a different approach to these Bowl games & give less than 100%. Otherwise, we wouldn't see so many BIG favorites get knocked off (Houston by SD State for example already) or so many players get sent home or not make the trip due to "rules violations" in which they're obviously putting themselves ahead of the team.

Come again?
So the 15 practice hurt his chances of getting drafting higher? No film on him then and they already have the film they need. He is going to get so much faster and stronger between now and January 4th or whatever ( sarcasm) . I think not. Can't believe you are for leaving DURING THE SEASON! "74

I have thought about this issue and I have come to my own personal conclusion. You start the year with your team then you should finish the year with your team irrespective of other financial considerations.

Why? You need your teammates for your personal success so you OWE them the same consideration.

This stuff is worse than the one and done stuff.

RM

Agree RM. Too much selfishness and I wish the NCAA would step up , of course they are hiding for this could be a bi problem down the road ( Kids drop out during the regular season due to a pull muscle, or an injury that will sit few weeks.) "74

I disagree. The kids have to look out for their own best interest as well. An injury could potentially end their chances at playing at the next level. They worked hard from hs to college with the hopes of one day playing in the NFL. Now, If this was a playoff game then I would be more apt to side with you but the rest of these games are meaningless in the grand scope of things.

I mean we're talking the Sun Bowl here....
So you would be OK with a Jabrill Peppers leaving, after the 1st 2 months of play, in November since he is concerned about injury and prepping for the NFL ! "74

For me being an older guy, this is just another example of McCaffrey's and Fournette's generation height of "selfishness." I'm sorry and I certainly don't want to offend anyone on this board but some of the values (if that's what they are) that are being demonstrated by the Millennials is absolutely pathetic. (These "special snowflakes" types) are focused directly on them and them alone and God forbid if they are told the word NO. Of course this does not mean everyone his age as you look at Michigan's team is loaded with future NFL players and they are all playing in their final bowl game as a TEAM!!!!!! I sure hope that his brother has been taught better because I don't see Jim Harbaugh allowing him to "skip" a bowl game to ensure that he stays safe in order to make his millions. Absolutely pathetic for both of these young men. Absolutely pathetic.

Reactions: wolverines74
For me being an older guy, this is just another example of McCaffrey's and Fournette's generation height of "selfishness." I'm sorry and I certainly don't want to offend anyone on this board but some of the values (if that's what they are) that are being demonstrated by the Millennials is absolutely pathetic. (These "special snowflakes" types) are focused directly on them and them alone and God forbid if they are told the word NO. Of course this does not mean everyone his age as you look at Michigan's team is loaded with future NFL players and they are all playing in their final bowl game as a TEAM!!!!!! I sure hope that his brother has been taught better because I don't see Jim Harbaugh allowing him to "skip" a bowl game to ensure that he stays safe in order to make his millions. Absolutely pathetic for both of these young men. Absolutely pathetic.
AMEN! "74

I think coaches need to be very careful with this mindset going forward. If your team as a whole thinks guys will take off toward the end when the season has been lost then everybody starts quitting and looking out for their own stats/interests.

Not trying to go over the top but it's the mindset of ME vs. US that can seep into a program like a cancer and destroy. Be careful coaches. What is McCaffrey and Fournette really saying to their teammates?

This bowl game isn't worth my time and effort or risk. Maybe YOU should reconsider the effort you put into the game.

In fact, maybe these guy are also diminishing the value of lower tier bowl games which means less people watch and attend. Be careful. This stuff can spread.

RM

Does everyone that thinks it's awful to sit out also think kids should play four years minimum? Do they think this should apply to coaches that leave for other teams and the NFL and skip bowl games to take over their new teams?

Does everyone that thinks it's awful to sit out also think kids should play four years minimum? Do they think this should apply to coaches that leave for other teams and the NFL and skip bowl games to take over their new teams?
Good point.
Coaches will quit and head to another team, and leave there previous team high n dry for the bowl game. So where are they learning it from?
Also, before passing perminent judgement on these guys, do we know if maybe, possibly did they have a team meeting and ask how their teammates felt about them sitting out their bowl games?

So you would be OK with a Jabrill Peppers leaving, after the 1st 2 months of play, in November since he is concerned about injury and prepping for the NFL ! "74

Strawman. We're talking about one meaningless bowl game at the end of the year.

So to the point, would I be ok if he sat to miss the Sun bowl or Citrus bowl? Absolutely. I'm fine with it. In the end those are meaningless bowl games. Sure the coaches, athletic departments, TV networks, stadium owners, etc get paid millions of dollars in "amateur" sports but your expecting the kids to play in a situation where the risk far outweighs the reward out of some misguided, over romanticized sense of team loyalty?

I would even be fine if Jabrill sat out in the Orange bowl vs FSU if he was in the same situation as McCaffrey and Fournette who had past injuries. I seriously doubt they would sit out a playoff game. These guys are sitting out of these games for the same reason they decide to leave school early which is to pursue their dreams in the NFL. I'm actually disturbed by fans trying shield their selfishness behind some battle cry for the team. All people have a right to pursue their own self interest. How many times have we seen assistant and head coaches leave their teams high and dry to take another job?

Look at your question carefully. Would "I" be ok with Jabrill..... That's just it. It's not bout ME or YOU or ANY of the fans. It's about what's in the best interest of those kids from their perspective.

Preach..

Look we're all fans. I get it. We want to win every game, period. However, I am ok if those kids make a decision to sit if they feel that's in their best interest. We have to take a step back and look at what's best for the kids. The same way we do when a coach makes a decision for his own benefit.

There's a clear distinction between, "The season is done, I'm going to the pros" and "We have one of our most important games, a bowl game, coming up, and I'm sitting out to prepare for what's next." I don't care who is "disturbed" by our cries for consideration for your teammates, that's a basic sine quo non imho of playing in a team sport, you walk out early before the season ends, you're walking out on your team and your friends. Period.

Reactions: 57varieties
Strawman. We're talking about one meaningless bowl game at the end of the year.

So to the point, would I be ok if he sat to miss the Sun bowl or Citrus bowl? Absolutely. I'm fine with it. In the end those are meaningless bowl games. Sure the coaches, athletic departments, TV networks, stadium owners, etc get paid millions of dollars in "amateur" sports but your expecting the kids to play in a situation where the risk far outweighs the reward out of some misguided, over romanticized sense of team loyalty?

I would even be fine if Jabrill sat out in the Orange bowl vs FSU if he was in the same situation as McCaffrey and Fournette who had past injuries. I seriously doubt they would sit out a playoff game. These guys are sitting out of these games for the same reason they decide to leave school early which is to pursue their dreams in the NFL. I'm actually disturbed by fans trying shield their selfishness behind some battle cry for the team. All people have a right to pursue their own self interest. How many times have we seen assistant and head coaches leave their teams high and dry to take another job?

Look at your question carefully. Would "I" be ok with Jabrill..... That's just it. It's not bout ME or YOU or ANY of the fans. It's about what's in the best interest of those kids from their perspective.

Preach..

Look we're all fans. I get it. We want to win every game, period. However, I am ok if those kids make a decision to sit if they feel that's in their best interest. We have to take a step back and look at what's best for the kids. The same way we do when a coach makes a decision for his own benefit.
So this action could develop into during the season as well. You'd be OK with that too? No stability in sports anymore .( With players and good points about the coaches). "74

Does this tell Pro Teams it's all about me?

So this action could develop into during the season as well. You'd be OK with that too? No stability in sports anymore .( With players and good points about the coaches). "74

What about meaningless bowl game at the end of the season do you not understand? The Sun bowl and Citrus bowl are meaningful to fans and those who get paid but for kids who are going pro and have already dealt with with significant injuries? The risk far outweighs the reward.

What about meaningless bowl game at the end of the season do you not understand? The Sun bowl and Citrus bowl are meaningful to fans and those who get paid but for kids who are going pro and have already dealt with with significant injuries? The risk far outweighs the reward.
Just can't see this being good for the game. know Bo and how Woody would respond and they would be HOT. Of course They gone and I am old so the traditionalists would have a difficult time saying I understand and support this. GBGB"74

It's not good for the game my friend. No if and or buts about it. It is selfish and it sucks.

Right it's not selfish for fans to want those kids to play. 100% altruism on your part I'm sure. Guys, they have a right to look out for their own self interest and given these parameters (meaningless bowl game, players with past injuries, NFL 1st round talent, etc) I support them 100% in their decision to sit. None of these fans are gonna pony up the $$$ those kids could miss if they have a career changing/ending injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT