ADVERTISEMENT

Lmao..."jive Turkeys"

Blue_note

Michigan Man
Jun 24, 2001
Harbaugh says that's what the team calls the three rival coaches who like to spread rumors he's leaving Michigan.

Hmmm, I think I can guess who the three are...

Go Blue. Always.

I mean, I get it. I get why Harbaugh starts talking about "enemies" and "jive turkeys." It does "rally the troops." Us against them, good against evil. Red meat for the fan-base.

But it's likely the 3 coaches are Meyer, Dantonio and Saban (perhaps Franklin instead of Saban). Those are guys who either (1) are undefeated against Harbaugh in 2015-2016, (2) have a B1G Championship in 2015-2016, or (3) have a National Championship in 2015-2016.

But why talk when the re-tort is easy? As Jason Varitek told A-Rod in 2004: "We don't throw at .260 hitters."

Now, of course, if he was referring to Brian Kelly? There's a man who has nothing as a re-tort. :)

I mean, I get it. I get why Harbaugh starts talking about "enemies" and "jive turkeys." It does "rally the troops." Us against them, good against evil. Red meat for the fan-base.

But it's likely the 3 coaches are Meyer, Dantonio and Saban (perhaps Franklin instead of Saban). Those are guys who either (1) are undefeated against Harbaugh in 2015-2016, (2) have a B1G Championship in 2015-2016, or (3) have a National Championship in 2015-2016.

But why talk when the re-tort is easy? As Jason Varitek told A-Rod in 2004: "We don't throw at .260 hitters."

Now, of course, if he was referring to Brian Kelly? There's a man who has nothing as a re-tort. :)
He's definitely a recruiting threat to OSU and Alabama, and he's especially taken shots across Bama's bow with the camps, pursuing commits from Alabama, etc.

Fair enough.

But this quote does remind me of Harbaugh's own quotes in March 2007:

"Pete Carroll's only got one more year, though. He'll be there one more year. That's what I've heard. I heard it inside the staff."

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/mar/30/sports/sp-uscfb30

Funny to mention this type of stuff, when it was Franklin who was whining and wailing at media days before the season started about certain coaches negatively recruiting against him.

I think the point
Funny to mention this type of stuff, when it was Franklin who was whining and wailing at media days before the season started about certain coaches negatively recruiting against him.

Not to mention grumbling about "some people" taking his satellite idea too far.

Go Blue. Always.

I wasn't a big fan of Franklin bringing that stuff up in the first place back on the first day of B1G Media Days.

Penn State, no doubt, has had some unique recruiting challenges coming off the sanctions and with the JoePa stories flaring up again this past summer.

But that's part of Franklin's job. He knew that coming in. He's gotta put his head down, work hard, and deal with it.

But to defend Franklin ---- as I'm sure you know, Franklin DID clarify his statement on the 2nd day of B1G Media Days last July. The quotes below:

"All I said was that every kid that we're recruiting is also being recruited by Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Notre Dame and that they don't have the same challenges that we have now," Franklin said. "Then, in a separate quote, I mentioned that right now we're (dealing) with negative recruiting. It was two separate quotes, though, over a 35-minute interview.

"I never said that any of those schools are the ones doing the negative recruiting against us. They're not. There is one other particular school, but I didn't name who that was."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/07/james_franklin_urban_meyer_and.html

Franklin was still kind of weak in saying "there is one other particular school" --- just go ahead and NAME it.

Likewise, if Harbaugh's going to go talking about his "enemies" --- go ahead and name them too. Although, again, it does invite the "we don't throw at .260 hitters" re-tort.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

But this quote does remind me of Harbaugh's own quotes in March 2007:

"Pete Carroll's only got one more year, though. He'll be there one more year. That's what I've heard. I heard it inside the staff."

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/mar/30/sports/sp-uscfb30

Telling that to the Times, quote attributed, verified by Harbaugh- very public - and prophetic - compared to whispering in the shadows.

Not *quite* the same thing.

Go Blue. Always.

Telling that to the Times, quote attributed, verified by Harbaugh- very public - and prophetic - compared to whispering in the shadows.

Not *quite* the same thing.

Go Blue. Always.

Fair enough. We'll see if Harbaugh specifically calls out those folk "whispering in the shadows."

Of course, calling other folk out specifically runs the risk of them replying "That is 100% false. Harbaugh's making crap up. I did nothing of the sort."

As a side question: what exactly was "prophetic" about Harbaugh's March 2007 statements? Carroll was at USC for 3 more years!

Fair enough. We'll see if Harbaugh specifically calls out those folk "whispering in the shadows."

Of course, calling other folk out specifically runs the risk of them replying "That is 100% false. Harbaugh's making crap up. I did nothing of the sort."

As a side question: what exactly was "prophetic" about Harbaugh's March 2007 statements? Carroll was at USC for 3 more years!

Your inverting things to put Harbaugh on the spot.

Let's see The Whisperers come out of the shadows and speak publicly, stand behind their comments. ( Haaaaa! Yeah, riiiiight. That'll happen )

Harbaugh did.

- -

Pete did leave, even if it was a big two years later.

Go Blue. Always.

Let's see The Whisperers come out of the shadows and speak publicly, stand behind their comments. ( Haaaaa! Yeah, riiiiight. That'll happen )

Harbaugh did.

- -

Go Blue. Always.

Exactly. Couldn't have been said better. You know coaches like Franklin (not that Michigan is even recruiting against him for anyone lol) will continue to hide in the shadows.

Harbaugh did.

- -

Go Blue. Always.

I get it. Some folk --- you included --- are reticent to criticize Harbaugh.

But it isn't really "speaking publicly, standing behind their comments" in saying "I'm going to accuse three specific people of doing me harm but neither will I single out who those specific people are." (I criticized Franklin for this elsewhere in this thread as regards his July 2016 comments, which had some similarities to this).

As for Harbaugh/Carroll: Harbaugh was 100% wrong in his March 2007 statements. Facts are facts, and 3 years is not 1 year. Again, I get it. Some folk --- you included --- are reticent to criticize Harbaugh. But he was simply 100% wrong.

Last edited:

But it isn't really "speaking publicly, standing behind their comments" in saying "I'm going to accuse three specific people of doing me harm but neither will I single out who those specific people are." (I criticized Franklin for this elsewhere in this thread as regards his July 2016 comments, which had some similarities to this).

As for Harbaugh/Carroll: Harbaugh was 100% wrong in his March 2007 statements. Facts are facts, and 3 years is not 1 year. Again, I get it. Some folk --- you included --- are reticent to criticize Harbaugh. But he was simply 100% wrong.

I'll reiterate since you're having problems understanding.

Harbaugh made his comments about Carroll very publicly, did not deny them, whether they're right - or wrong. At least he wasn't hiding; nor did he back pedal.

The jive turkeys just don't have the balls.

Facts are facts.

Go Blue. Always.

I'll reiterate since you're having problems understanding.

Harbaugh made his comments about Carroll very publicly, did not deny them, whether they're right - or wrong. At least he wasn't hiding; nor did he back pedal.

The jive turkeys just don't have the balls.

Facts are facts.

Go Blue. Always.

Fair enough. We disagree on what constitutes "speaking publicly, standing behind their comments" --- you think Harbaugh's "(anonymous) jive turkey" comments fit that bill, I don't.

We disagree --- but no need to go into the insults. No more said on my end.

Most people at The Fort were aware Pete had a little Recruiting Incentive Program going on at USC.

Jim's sources likely knew, Jim likely knew, and Petey himself likely knew the jig was up and it was time to split the scene as they say.

Harbaugh wrong on Carroll? Debatable. I weep not for Cheatin' Pete. Not. One. Bit.

The jive turkeys...you think they deserve better? Like, a public calling out by Harbaugh makes it better.

They know who they are. They also know the whispers are bull shit.

And that...is why they don't have the balls to make their comments public.

Go Blue. Always.

HAAAAAAA!!!!!! So Harbaugh isn't competing for recruits with those guys? What the hell is this post?

Likewise, if Harbaugh's going to go talking about his "enemies" --- go ahead and name them too. Although, again, it does invite the "we don't throw at .260 hitters" re-tort.

We are talking recruiting here. What does head-to-head records have to do with it? I mean, using your logic, Michigan won't land Donovan Peoples-Jones tomorrow because obviously Meyer is 2-0 against Harbaugh.

Ummm, what?

Man, if coaches are telling recruits that Harbaugh is leaving for the NFL, don't you think that might get back to Harbaugh? If that is happening, then why shouldn't he shoot it down? Imagine the reaction if Harbaugh just said "no comment" when asked about the NFL. Gimme a break. The rumors are false, and it's important for people to know where they are coming from. They aren't coming out of conversations that Harbaugh is having with NFL teams.

Man, if coaches are telling recruits that Harbaugh is leaving for the NFL, don't you think that might get back to Harbaugh? If that is happening, then why shouldn't he shoot it down? Imagine the reaction if Harbaugh just said "no comment" when asked about the NFL. Gimme a break. The rumors are false, and it's important for people to know where they are coming from. They aren't coming out of conversations that Harbaugh is having with NFL teams.

According to a longtime Fort insider, Harbaugh's agent has already turned away multiple NFL pitches.

He has his dream job, and couldn't be happier.

Go Blue. Always.

Reactions: GoBlue_since1985
Exactly. Couldn't have been said better. You know coaches like Franklin (not that Michigan is even recruiting against him for anyone lol) will continue to hide in the shadows.
Cy7_vSCXcAgCRpl.jpg:large

We are talking recruiting here. What does head-to-head records have to do with it? I mean, using your logic, Michigan won't land Donovan Peoples-Jones tomorrow because obviously Meyer is 2-0 against Harbaugh.

Ummm, what?

My point wasn't that Harbaugh won't win many recruiting battles. Of course he will.

But he still has yet to win an on-the-field battle against Saban/Meyer.

So, given that: why exactly would Meyer and Saban view him as an "enemy"?

Have you ever read The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)? I don't love Ayn Rand's politics but this is actually a pretty good book, much superior to anything like Atlas Shrugged. Anyway, there is one personality dynamic and one scene in the book that reminds me of Harbaugh vs. Saban/Meyer.

I don't know if Harbaugh has ever read the book --- but if he has, I have no doubt that he thinks of himself as Howard Roark. The protagonist of the book, the man who becomes the most successful architect in all of NYC.

Roark's arch-enemy in the book is not Peter Keating (as some readers think) --- but rather Ellsworth Toohey. Toohey is a man who wants desperately to be viewed as Roark's equal, if not his superior. But Toohey is also a man who hasn't been able to beat Roark in an on-the-field head-to-head battle. Most importantly, Toohey is a man who knows he's less-accomplished vs. Roark. And because of such, Toohey gradually starts to go about non head-to-head means --- all unsuccessful --- for taking down Roark.

Anyway, there's a scene where Toohey and Roark are alone and Toohey asks Roark "what do you think of me"? Roark replies "But I don't think of you." The re-tort is a big blow to Toohey's ego.

Right now --- Saban/Meyer are the most successful "architects" in all of college football. Saban/Meyer are Roark. Their resumes prove it.

And unfortunately, Harbaugh is acting a bit like Ellsworth Toohey. Until he proves himself equal in on-the-field battles, he's flattering himself if he thinks "Saban/Meyer are thinking of him."

My point wasn't that Harbaugh won't win many recruiting battles. Of course he will.

Have you ever read The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)? I don't love Ayn Rand's politics but this is actually a pretty good book, much superior to anything like Atlas Shrugged. Anyway, there is one personality dynamic and one scene in the book that reminds me of Harbaugh vs. Saban/Meyer.

I don't know if Harbaugh has ever read the book --- but if he has, I have no doubt that he thinks of himself as Howard Roark. The protagonist of the book, the man who becomes the most successful architect in all of NYC.

Roark's arch-enemy in the book is not Peter Keating (as some readers think) --- but rather Ellsworth Toohey. Toohey is a man who wants desperately to be viewed as Roark's equal, if not his superior. But Toohey is also a man who hasn't been able to beat Roark in an on-the-field head-to-head battle. Most importantly, Toohey is a man who knows he's less-accomplished vs. Roark. And because of such, Toohey gradually starts to go about non head-to-head means --- all unsuccessful --- for taking down Roark.

Anyway, there's a scene where Toohey and Roark are alone and Toohey asks Roark "what do you think of me"? Roark replies "But I don't think of you." The re-tort is a big blow to Toohey's ego.

Right now --- Saban/Meyer are the most successful "architects" in all of college football. Saban/Meyer are Roark. Their resumes prove it.

And unfortunately, Harbaugh is acting a bit like Ellsworth Toohey. Until he proves himself equal in on-the-field battles, he's flattering himself if he thinks "Saban/Meyer are thinking of him."

Give it time. He's two years in.

Meanwhile, we know Saban went sideways in the NFL, and Meyer hasn't even been given a look.

He's the hotter property than those two jive turkeys.

And Saban lead the pack in whining about Harbaugh's satellite camps in the south.

Maybe he whined about them without thinking of Harbaugh?

Nah...

Go Blue. Always.

LOL

I guess Saban also didn't make a huge stink about Harbaugh's satellite camps. Wait.....

The fact is, when it comes to recruiting (the subject at hand), Harbaugh, Saban, and Meyer are competing for the same athletes. Harbaugh just beat out Meyer last night for Donovan Peoples-Jones. Harbaugh has been working his ass off to pull the #1 player in the country away from Saban's clutches. You better believe Saban is taking the threat seriously.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT