ADVERTISEMENT

ITF HOOPS RECRUITING EXTRA: New Targets, Franz Wagner & More ...

ChrisBalas

Austin Powers, Goldmember
Jul 6, 2001
Dexter, MI
www.thewolverine.com
Michigan head coach John Beilein has a lot on his plate, and he admitted as much at last night's basketball banquet. He has to navigate some of his guys testing the NBA waters and also look for potential replacements should they go.

All signs point to Jordan Poole leaving, meaning U-M would need a two guard. Ignas Brazdeikis might get a look at filling that spot should he stay, but despite saying he's "not close to a decision right now," we believe he's leaning heavily toward the NBA. He even admitted last night he wasn't sure he'd return if he was only projected to be a second-round pick.

A new name that has come up: Wilmington (Del.) St. George's Tech's Nah'Shon Hyland. He's currently working on a visit, and while he's skinny, he's very talented.

5cb87dab9507f-Screen%20Shot%202019-04-18%20at%209.36.47%20AM.png

Hyland is called "bones" because he's so slender ... even skinnier than Caris LeVert when he first arrived at Michigan. He was recently voted "best available senior" at the first Under Armour session by Rivals' Corey Evans.

"A slew of Division I programs remain on the lookout for talent this spring in completing their rosters for next season, which makes the case of NahShon Hyland more pertinent," Evans wrote. "A skinny but fierce competitor at the scoring guard spot, Hyland can go and get a basket with the best of them. VCU has offered and remains in hard pursuit, although a bevy of other power programs are showing interest, as his commitment remains far off."

Hyland has had his share of tragedy in his life. He lost his brother and grandmother in a fire that hospitalized him, recovering before returning to basketball. (article here).

“It is a pleasure to be back out here because, I didn’t get to play on the circuit last year, so just to get back out here and to be a leader on the floor, to start to have fun with it all, it just feels good,” he told Evans. “To get back out here with the 17s group, it is just about regrouping.”

From Evans:

Holding offers from Delaware, Rhode Island, Seton Hall, St. Joe’s, and Temple, Hyland has already been to the campus at St. Joe’s and Temple for official visits, though a new wave of suitors has emerged.

Hyland told Rivals.com that Georgetown, Maryland, Pitt, Providence and VCU are among the schools that are in constant contact with him, though VCU is the only school that has offered. “They let you play out there and they stand out from a lot of different teams,” he said about the A10 program. “They have a really good team.”

Add Michigan to the list.

"I love the whole program ... great school, awesome coach. They're coming down Tuesday," Hyland told us, confirming they were going to talk about a potential U-M visit at that point.

“I haven’t decided about my college yet and I am just trying to get more offers but I am definitely going to college,” he told Evans days earlier. “I am just focused on this travel ball season right now and then to see what is next. I will probably look at things next month after I get through the live period.”

We have confirmed, meanwhile, that Beilein will be visiting Franz Wagner, Moe's brother, sometime soon. He hinted to it in his Wednesday presser without going into detail.

"I laugh so hard when people say, 'are you getting some rest?'" he said. "I would get more rest in the season, and I don't sleep during the season. I can't tell you my schedule, but the next 10 days is absolutely incredible about how w'eve got to be out there to be in position to be in position."

That includes a trip overseas. Several interesting developments have taken place over the last week with Wagner, and our Jim_S added some insight:

FRANZ WAGNER UPDATES

Watch for more on these developments in the days to come ... but rest assured Beilein is working it. William & Mary transfer Justin Pierce is coming in this weekend, and the Wolverines want him. He's visited Notre Dame and enjoyed it and will also see North Carolina the following week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News